Author Topic: D-Link WiFi Ethernet Bridge-Going Totally Mental!  (Read 4795 times)

Offline MelTupper

• Valued Member
  • Mac User since 1985
D-Link WiFi Ethernet Bridge-Going Totally Mental!
« on: March 19, 2021, 06:14:20 PM »
Mac user since 1984, early 2002 QS G4, OS 9.2.2. Recently purchased a D-Link DWL-G810 ethernet bridge and tearing my hair out trying to get it set up. We have satellite internet only in our home. No router, just wireless hotspots that all of our devices connect to. If anyone can answer any of my questions I would be incredibly grateful because I have reconfigured both the D-Link and TCP/IP numerous times but still cannot get online. I have the D-Link plugged into the G4 with a straight thru Ethernet cable (not gigabit)...should I be using a crossover cable? Apple talk control panel is set to 'ethernet.' Do I need to configure the D-Link in Explorer first, or set up TCP/IP first? The setup wizard in the D-Link configuration pages does not function, and I have not been able to find setup instructions for OS 9. Previous airport card and PCI wifi card have been removed from the Mac. From within the D-Link configuration screens I can select my hotspot and enter the WPA password, so the problem is in the connection to the D-Link via ethernet. If anybody out there has the same bridge or similar model and could tell me what settings you use, you could seriously save me from going totally mental!

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: D-Link WiFi Ethernet Bridge-Going Totally Mental!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 07:30:47 PM »
You may not have a wired router, but you must have a satellite receiver/device serving as a wireless router.
That very likely will NOT accept the "obsolete" WEP encryption generated by the D-Link. Do I smell an ebay purchase here?
You can verify this with Hughes (or whoever the sat company is) but the objective is to eliminate WEP in favor of the protocol dejour, which is WPA2 or WPA3, between the bridge and the sat system.
You use a "regular" ethernet cable between the computer and the bridge so the computer "thinks" it has a wired connection and doesn't need any encryption.

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 07:47:10 AM »
You say you have configured the D-Link... but then say the configuration page does not work, and the problem is the ethernet connection to the D-Link. This makes no sense to me.

I have used a DWL-G730 and assume it is similar.

The process I would use is something like..

- connect Mac to D-Link bridge. I recommend a straight gigabit compatible ethernet cable for maximum performance.
- change the Mac IP address so on the same network as that of the D-Link.
- Go to D-Link GUI and configure it with the necessary wi-fi information.
- Configure D-Link in Client mode, and set IP address to suit your router. (As Gary says, you must have a router somewhere between you and the internet).
- change your Mac IP address back to suit your router. Don't use the same address as the D-Link!

If no internet access, do ping tests to see how far you get.

Offline MelTupper

• Valued Member
  • Mac User since 1985
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 07:11:18 PM »
Hello Oval and Gary. To clarify a couple of points: the setup wizard application in the D-Link firmware requires Explorer 6.0, which will not run in OS 9.2. I have been attempting to do the setup manually. The D-Link does not seem to have a problem with my WiFi hotspot. It 'sees' it and lets me enter the WPA password. In case you are not familiar with hotspots for home use, it takes the place of something like an Airport base station or a router. On our other computers we just select the hotspot as our wifi connection (it's a wireless connection) and bam! We have internet. Our ISP is TotalWireless, and the towers are Verizon. In the D-Link setup screens, I can change the IP address of the D-Link to anything. How do I change the Mac's IP address? What do you mean by 'configure D-Link in client mode?' In the TCP/IP control panel I have been trying: Connect via ethernet; using DHCP server. But, then I fall into the 'talking to myself' trap where both IP addresses come up the same. I think it is the IP addresses that are tripping me up. When I open Explorer it shows that I am 'connected' but I am not really because I cannot load any web pages. Could one of you tell me what settings you are using in TCP/IP?

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 03:10:56 PM »
the setup wizard application in the D-Link firmware requires Explorer 6.0, which will not run in OS 9.2.
I'm still confused about whether you configured it or not, but will assume you did not. Did you try IE5.1.7 or Classilla BTW?

How do I change the Mac's IP address? What do you mean by 'configure D-Link in client mode?'
Just had a look at the DWL-G810 instructions.
It looks like you need Infrastructure mode (no Client mode on this model).

D-Link default IP address is 192.168.0.30
Whatever PC you use to configure it will need to be in the same network range.
I suggest set the PC IP address to 192.168.0.31 / subnet 255.255.255.0 / router 192.168.0.254

To set this on Mac via TCP/IP control panel...
File
Configurations
select your normal config
Duplicate (why didn't Apple put a New button in the CP?)
Name it e.g. D-Link config
Make Active
Connect via Ethernet
Configure Manually
Enter the addresses I suggested above
Close and Save

Then point your web browser to 192.168.0.30 to configure it.

I can change the IP address of the D-Link to anything
Anything won't do. Set it to the same network as your wireless router. So if your router is 192.168.1.254, try 192.168.1.30. You could use DHCP but I recommend setting manually so you know what it is - useful for troubleshooting and future reconfiguration.

Note after the D-Link is configured, you'll need to change the PC IP address back to normal again.

To switch your Mac back to previous TCP/IP configuration
File
Configurations
select your normal config (I'm expecting this to be connect via Ethernet, and using DHCP server, which should suffice)
Make Active
Save

If you still can't get internet access, do logical ping tests to see how far you get  (try OTTool www.neon.com). Can you ping D-Link? Can you ping wireless router? Can you ping TotalWireless?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 02:44:48 AM by ovalking »

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2021, 03:29:41 PM »
Ovalking added stuff while I was typing this novel. I think I'm still correct. The D-Link will NOT work for you.
Read the following.

This is where we discuss communication and what goes wrong when incorrect terminology is used.
In your first post, you said "We have satellite internet only in our home.".
Now, you clarify that you have cellular hotspots. Big difference.

This are important:
When you have one local hotspot, it must also act as a router since there's more than one computer, tablet etc. in use.
SO, it has the main IP address. It then will generate local (LAN) IP addresses and assign them to the devices in use.. It normally does this via DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) where the computer requests an address from the routing server and gets assigned one - usually looking like "10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2" etc.
The D-Link is supposed to configure itself. When you plug it in, it should "find" the WI-Fi signal coming from your hotspot and request a LAN address with NO need for additional setup.
* If not, you reset the D-link by plugging in (with an Ethernet cable)  any computer using any decent Java-capable browser and set the D-Link to request a Dynamic IP address from the hotspot.
* My worry is: On page 14 of the D-Link manual, it insists on setting the network to WEP. I'll bet money that you can't set the hotspot to WEP, nor should you.
* We're now back to where I asked: Do I smell an ebay purchase here? I think you have an "obsolete" device there.

I do NOT think the D-Link is going to work…period. Why? Because…

1) There have been a few encryption protocols for Wi-Fi since it was invented. WEP was the first. It was not very secure and has since been replaced by WPA2 and then WPA3. Literally ALL ISPs are using WPA.

2) As far as I can tell, your D-Link DWL-G810 is only capable of using WEP or early WPA. If so, that means it will NOT work with your hotspot that uses WPA2 or WPA3. The fact that you can "see" it and enter the password does not necessarily mean you'll be able to transceive data. That's why it seems to be "connected" but you can't actually get to the internet.

This is ridiculously complicated shit! Thank your fellow humans for being such assholes that we all now need these NSA-levels of encryption just to look at pictures of pussycats…

Offline MelTupper

• Valued Member
  • Mac User since 1985
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 06:56:07 PM »
Gary and Oval, Thank you for all of your input! I have more information that could help. The hotspot allows encryption options in its browser-accessible setup screens. They are: None; WPA2, or WPA/WPA2 mixed. Any of these sound viable with the D-Link? The browser-accessible setup screens for the D-Link (that I have so far failed to set up properly):

Network screen:
-LAN IP-has radio buttons to select dynamic or static IP address, and a box below to enter the IP address of the D-Link (currently shows the default 192.168.0.30)
-Subnet Mask- box contains 255.255.255.0
-Gateway- box contains 0.0.0.0

Wireless screen:
-Operating Mode-radio buttons to select Ad Hoc or Infrastructure
-SSID-box currently contains the name of my hotspot, a button next to this labeled 'site survey' allows you to search for available networks.
-Authentication-radio buttons for: Open system; Shared Key; WPA-PSK (selected)
-WEP- radio buttons to select enabled or disabled (currently disabled)
-WEP encryption- has a dropdown to select 64 bit vs 128 bit
-WEP mode- select HEX or ASCII
-TX rates- has a dropdown to select speed
-SuperG- has a dropdown to select options, currently disabled

While I was poking around inside the brain of the hotspot I found its addressing information in its browser-accessible setup screens:
- IP Address: 100.65.115.156
- Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.248
- Gateway: 100.65.115.157
- DNS: 198.224.166.135

As for the money wasted on Ebay items--no worries there. I did not pay much for the D-Link, and if I end up buying something different, I will still need to figure out all of this stuff to attain my goal of 4G speed using Classilla. Oh, by the way. I DID try running the D-Link 'setup wizard' with Explorer 5.0, Classilla, and Navigator. Would not run in any of them. On the subject of obsolete items, well. Isn't that why we are all here? I like to think I have an exaggerated sense of nostalgia...

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 09:51:06 PM »
You're confirming what I suspected. The hotspot wants WPA and the D-Link wants WEP.

NOTES
* There is a small chance that there's a convoluted way to get them both doing early WPA-PSK. That depends on just what the Hell "WPA/WPA2 mixed" means. I have NO idea exactly how to get there if it's possible.

* You need a later Java-enabled browser to get to the "setup wizard". None of the OS9 browsers will do it.
You CAN use a different computer to run the wizard to play with the hotspot <> D-link communications. IF (big IF) you can get them working together you can then set the D-Link to Dynamic LAN (DHCP) mode, switch to the OS9 computer, set its TCP/IP to DHCP, reboot and they'll connect.  Right……? sure they will…

Buy a new bridge and install the D-Link in the trash. This is all time none of us are going to get back.  :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 03:14:12 PM by GaryN »

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2021, 02:43:55 AM »
You're confirming what I suspected. The hotspot want WPA and the D-Link wants WEP.
Yep, there's your answer. You could switch both hotspot and D-Link encryption to None, but I'm not recommending it...

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2021, 03:16:25 PM »
Yep, there's your answer. You could switch both hotspot and D-Link encryption to None, but I'm not recommending it...

True. Especially because all devices using the hotspot would have to be set to no encryption as well.

Offline MelTupper

• Valued Member
  • Mac User since 1985
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2021, 05:56:17 AM »
Hey, I appreciate all the advice, and I have learned a lot here. But, feel I must point out that I did post that the hotspot can be set for WPA/WPA mixed security; and that the D-Link setup screens do have a baked in radio button for selection of WPA security and password. Researched this further and confirmed that the BETA version of the firmware v2.13 is alleged to make WPA connections possible. So, after setting the hotspot to WPA/WPA mixed security, and selecting WPA and my hotspot as the network in the D-Link setup screens, I am still unable to load a web page. It could be that the D-Link is just junk... but at this point I have to think that the security mode is not the barrier. I see that in another post "Clamshell running OS 9.2.2 can attach to router but browser doesn't work"
for a similar problem Gary wrote that Internet Explorer can't resolve IVP6; and that OS 9 does not understand modern wifi encryption (WPA); also that Classilla 9.3.3 should work... and does work for some people. I do have Classilla installed in OS 9.2.2 and have attempted to connect with it several times. That is what I would like to pursue. After I set up the D-Link and assign it an IP address, and after I tell it which wifi network I want to connect to and provide a password, is there an additional step before I launch Classilla? I remember that in the good-old days of dialup there was a separate step to tell the Mac to connect/dial before loading a browser window. Am I missing a step here, or should Classilla connect automatically when I open a browser window? Any Classilla/wifi users out there? I am not above buying a different ethernet bridge. Also wondering about the limitations of Ethernet because my G4 has the 'stock' 2002 ethernet jacks (not gigabit).

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2021, 06:22:15 AM »
-Authentication-radio buttons for: Open system; Shared Key; WPA-PSK (selected)
I missed this bit hiding at the end of the line! You've already selected WPA-PSK. I don't know if WPA-PSK is compatible with WPA/WPA2 Mixed, but it sounds worth a go.

While I was poking around inside the brain of the hotspot I found its addressing information in its browser-accessible setup screens:
- IP Address: 100.65.115.156
- Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.248
- Gateway: 100.65.115.157
- DNS: 198.224.166.135

These look like WAN side addresses to me. LAN side will be something like 10..., 172... or 192...

Have you tried the ping tests I recommended yet?

Also wondering about the limitations of Ethernet because my G4 has the 'stock' 2002 ethernet jacks (not gigabit).
Unlikely - Gigabit ethernet was introduced on July 2000 G4s. Either way, an irrelevant point I suggest.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 06:16:30 AM by ovalking »

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2021, 01:34:35 PM »
Look… I get it. WiFi and internet encryption/decryption in general is an incomprehensible clusterf•••.

There are at least 3 maybe 4 different levels of WPA. Your D-Link was made sometime during or between 1 and 2 as far as I can tell.
Your provider's hotspot is set to WPA3. I'm certain of that because WPA3 is 3 years old already and service providers always use the latest encryption protocols.

The real problem here is your stubborn determination to use an obsolete POS.

Less than 20 bucks will get you a new-technology WiFi bridge that will work. I've even found it for you below.
How much longer this takes is your choice.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-TL-WA801N-Wireless-Supports-Multi-SSID/dp/B08GS211V9/ref=sxin_10_ac_d_pm?ac_md=1-0-VW5kZXIgJDI1-ac_d_pm&cv_ct_cx=wireless+bridge&dchild=1&keywords=wireless+bridge&pd_rd_i=B08GS211V9&pd_rd_r=b969fccd-0002-4910-97a3-6117801b67c5&pd_rd_w=GX8Ar&pd_rd_wg=rkwcC&pf_rd_p=fbf6011c-6632-49e8-9631-4e76f7f44920&pf_rd_r=GHKT9M1H0QTCVH21GM23&psc=1&qid=1616963100&sr=1-1-22d05c05-1231-4126-b7c4-3e7a9c0027d0

Offline MelTupper

• Valued Member
  • Mac User since 1985
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2021, 05:20:41 PM »
Okay Peeps, spent untold hours trying to get the D-Link to work. Must have tried everything. Never did figure out exactly what the problem was. Tried without any security or 'open' too. Said to myself, "This should work!" umpteen times. Started from scratch with a different wireless ethernet bridge, the NetGear WGE111, an obsolete device purchased on Ebay to go with all of my other obsolete devices!  :D I shopped for a bridge I could use with WPA security and OS 9.2, and made sure it had a good instruction manual before purchase. As it turns out, WPA/WPA2 mixed on my wifi hotspot (wireless router) IS compatible with the WPA setting on the WGE111. SUCCESS AT LAST! TOTALLY FAR-OUT! Still need to set it up for OS X 10.2 and OS X 10.5.8 (also on the G4) but I do not anticipate a problem. For anybody who wants to know, my hotspot is another obsolete device, a MiFi6620L, originally sold by Verizon. I am going to post step by step instructions as soon as I can figure out how to post screen shots. I think it would be really helpful for anybody trying to configure for G4 wireless speed in OS 9. I found it pretty confusing. Oh, and by the by... My Mac has only 100 Gig ethernet, but it works great!

Offline MelTupper

• Valued Member
  • Mac User since 1985
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2021, 07:30:25 PM »
Okay, here are step-by-step instructions to set up a wireless ethernet bridge so that you too can have wifi speed in OS 9! You will need a wireless bridge and a wireless hotspot (sometimes referred to as a wireless router). I am using a Netgear WGE111 and a Novatel JetPack MiFi6620L. Make sure that the bridge and the hotspot  can agree on the security type. The WGE111 is WPA-capable, and there are still hotspots available that have a security setting of "WPA/WPA2 mixed." The MiFi 8800L is another hotspot that can be set to WPA security.

Before you start, make sure the hotspot is ON and functioning, and ethernet bridge is connected to your Mac with a straight-thru Ethernet cable (not crossover type), and that your bridge has power. Most hotspots can be configured by typing the hotspot's IP address into a browser. There will be menu and a series of windows with various settings. Set your hotspot security to WPA/WPA2 mixed. For my hotspot I go to: settings > wifi > security to select. While you are in there, set a static IP address for your hotspot. For my device I go to : settings > advanced > LAN > IPv4 > IP Address. I set the static address of my hotspot to: 192.168.1.1 In the same window make sure the subnet is 255.255.255.0

STEP 1: Prepare TCP/IP to communicate with the bridge:
- On your Mac in OS 9, open the TCP/IP control panel. Under 'file' select 'configurations,' and hilite one of your old configurations. Select 'duplicate.' Then rename your new config something like 'Bridge setup' and click 'make active.' This new configuration will only be used for configuration purposes, now and in the future. Later on we will create your everyday connection. 

- Now, in the TCP/IP window, enter the settings shown below. You only need to enter the first four things, the other boxes should be left blank.
- Connect via: Ethernet
-Cofigure: manually
-IP Address: Create an address for your Mac that is in the same range as the address you gave your hotspot with the first three values matching. So, if your hotspot is 192.168.0.1 you could assign your Mac 192.168.0.4.
-Subnet: 255.255.255.0 (the same as you just assigned to your hotspot). Leave all of the other boxes blank.

-Close TCP/IP and click Okay on the warning.

STEP 2 Configure the ethernet bridge:
-Shut down your Mac.
-Reset your bridge to factory default settings. Leave it powered on and look for the reset switch. Often this is a very small hole on the back of the bridge that you can stick a straight pin or paper clip into. Hold for a few seconds and release. Your will want to check your bridge's manual for how to reset it.
-Make sure your bridge is connected to your Mac with a straight-thru ethernet cable and powered on. Now, restart your Mac.
-Most of the wifi ethernet bridges are cofigured in a similar way to a hotspot. You will open a browser window and type in the IP address of your bridge (check mfr manual for address). This will give you access to the 'brains' of your bridge.
-You will probably encounter a window asking for a user name and password for access. Since you have set it to factory default, the password will be something dumb like 'password,' or you might even be able to leave it blank. Again, see your manual
At this point I encountered a status window.

- When given the option, select 'infrastructure' mode.
- If you have to select a country, find the name of the country you are in.
- If you have a choice of data rate, select 'auto.'
- When you arrive at security settings make sure name of your hotspot appears as the network name*. Your bridge should have scanned and found it by now.
-Set security type to ‘WPA-PSK’ and type in the password of your hotspot.
-Select encryption type ‘TKIP.’
-Click ‘apply.’
-Quit your browser
EXAMPLE OF MY SECURITY SCREEN

STEP 3 reconfigure TCP/IP for internet connection:
- Open TCP/IP control panel again.
- Under 'file' select 'configurations,' and hilite one of your old configurations. Select 'duplicate.' Then rename your new config something like 'Everyday Connection' and click 'make active.' This new configuration will be the one you use all the time for wifi, and with any luck you won't ever have to touch it again after today.
- You ONLY enter two things now:
- Connect via: Ethernet
- Configure: Using DHCP server

WHAT THAT CONTROL PANEL LOOKS LIKE.

Leave everything else blank. Close the TCP/IP control panel, and click ‘Okay’ when it warns you about lost connection.
- Your screen will freeze for about 1 minute. This is normal.
-When your screen comes back to life, shut down the your Mac, then start it up again. NOTE THAT THIS SHUTDOWN / RESTART STEP IS ESSENTIAL!
- When your Mac starts up again, open the TCP/IP control panel and you will see that the hotspot and server have filled in the blanks for you on your everyday setup.

FOR EXAMPLE

Note that client ID is blank; a new IP address for your Mac has been assigned by the hotspot, and is different than the ‘router address’ which is the address of the hotspot 192.168.1.1. Name server address is the also the hotspot address: 192.168.1.1.

CONGRATULATIONS! YOU HAVE AN ACTIVE CONNECTION TO THE WORLD!!!

Open an OS 9-friendly browser like Classilla and enjoy! From now on, all you should have to do to connect is leave your bridge powered on at all times; make sure your hotspot is set to WPA/WPA2 mixed security; start up your Mac and open a browser.

Closing notes: One thing I learned is that some older ethernet wifi bridges have trouble recoginizing a long hotspot name and special characters like dashes, so if you have trouble connecting, you might experiment with using an abbreviated name for your hotspot like “Verizon MiFi6620L” instead of “Verizon-MiFi6620L-E9C4” when you are entering the security settings into your bridge security config screens*. Also, when you are not using your OS 9 wifi setup, you might want to set your hotspot back to "WPA2" security, since it is technically better and more secure than plain "WPA."

« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 09:31:35 PM by FdB »