Author Topic: Kingwin MDD good Kingwin Quicksilver not so good. Pro Tools suffers.  (Read 2957 times)

Offline w3sl33

• Enthusiast Member
Bumming out. My MDD for some reason gave up the ghost. First Ram disappeared. Replacing it didn't help. AHT says the slots are fried. Next day firewire ports went bad. AHT doesn't say why. I had to move the fast Kingwin and OWC SSD to the Quicksilver. In the MDD the Kingwin combo was getting 50M speed on the faster ATA cable. On the slower cable, my second OWC SSD got 35M. Moved both drives to the Quicksilver. 35M speed on the faster cable. When I tried to attach the 2nd drive to the faster cable it wouldn't boot. So I put it on the cable with the DVD drive. 7M speed!. Too Slow!. Bummed out about the MDD. (Tried all sorts of Ram and nothing worked. Never saw RAM slots fry only heard about it.) The SSD is SLOW on the slower cable. Holy smokes. I don't know what to do. The main drive is OK for me at 35Mps but the other not so much. Too bad. Pro Tools was VERY happy dual booting Pro Tools Mix+3. Thats life!

Advice?

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Kingwin MDD good Kingwin Quicksilver not so good. Pro Tools suffers.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 07:03:51 PM »
Advice?

Live with it while you fix the MDD.

You just MAY have a failing PSU. In my experience, when unexplanable nonsense happens in my MDD, it's almost always the PSU.
If the RAM voltage dies, the RAM "disappears" and AHT can't see it either. If the FW power goes, same thing happens.

Go here and do this: http://www.jcsenterprises.com/Japamacs_Page/Blog/D275729F-09DA-4FBB-96B3-BEEEB2C04619.html

Offline w3sl33

• Enthusiast Member
Re: Kingwin MDD good Kingwin Quicksilver not so good. Pro Tools suffers.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 11:21:40 AM »
It isn't a Samsung supply so I figured I was OK.. ..
THANK YOU FOR THE HELPFUL IDEA.
This weekend I am going to take my voltmeter and check the supply as you posted.
The MDD was louder than the quicksilver but I thought it was more zippy with pro tools because of the faster ATA bus mainly.