Author Topic: Using a Mac mini G4  (Read 1944 times)

Offline wyattaj25

Using a Mac mini G4
« on: March 16, 2021, 08:14:54 PM »
Hello!

I have a 1.42 GHz Mac mini G4 (512 MB of RAM, AirPort, Bluetooth, SuperDrive) , and I want to use it for more than just being a $25 paper weight.

I've been using Tiger and Leopard on PPC Machines for years, But I wondered if I could do anything with the Classic Mac OS.

I already have installed 9.2.2 using this lovely ISO:

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4365.0.html,

I want to know of any cool apps I could use, things I could do with the computer itself, or ways to modernize it with apps like up to date apps like USB Overdrive.

Also, how can I make USB Overdrive work with a Magic Mouse? Is it even possible? if not, how can I use a standard USB mouse with it?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Offline Guspaz

• Newcomer
Re: Using a Mac mini G4
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 01:13:05 AM »
I've got a Logitech K860 wireless keyboard and a Logitech G502 Lightspeed wireless mouse. The keyboard works fine (though the mac modifier keys on the keyboard don't correspond to the keys the OS receives). I gave up on USB Overdrive, either the mouse was frozen entirely (speed on system) or only moves to the right and nothing else (any other speed). With USB Overdrive removed, the mouse works fine, but the scrollwheel and right click don't work, and I really wish there was a way to tweak the mouse acceleration instead of just the speed.

I discovered that if I install the Logitech Mouseware driver/control panel in OS9, it won't detect the mouse wirelessly (via its USB receiver), but if I connect the mouse to the mac mini via its USB cable, then Mouseware detects the mouse, lets me use the scroll wheel, right click, rebind buttons (well, the UI is there, I've not tried to change them), etc. So if you've got a wired Logitech mouse, or one that supports optional wired connectivity, try Mouseware 4.0.6.

Still no control over acceleration, though it does have a different acceleration curve than the stock mouse control panel.