Author Topic: Wireless keyboard/mouse solution for iBook G3?  (Read 1834 times)

Offline Eason85

Wireless keyboard/mouse solution for iBook G3?
« on: March 15, 2021, 02:27:58 PM »
So I've got an iBook G3 (14" airport) hooked up to my TV for retro enjoyment purposes. I'd love to be able to use it from my couch via wireless keyboard/mouse. Is there a way to do this? I was thinking of buying a bluetooth dongle, but I wasn't sure if it would work in OS9 and if it did work, whether it would work acceptably well.

Would love to get suggestions on solutions, and if wireless isn't possible, then some wired solutions with long (9 ft) cords would be great.

Thanks!

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Wireless keyboard/mouse solution for iBook G3?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 02:43:32 PM »
Logitech makes wireless mice with their own tiny receiver that plugs into a USB port. They work very well.
You will need to download and install "USB Overdrive" 1.4 from Mac Garden.
It will handle multiple-button mice.

Offline Eason85

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 05:37:35 PM »
Hmm, interesting. So, the mouse is sort of detected with the logitech receiver -- except that anything I do sends the cursor immediately to the far-right of the screen. Happened with 2 different wireless mice.

edit: solution was to *uninstall* USB overdrive! Then the MX Anywhere 3 worked. A wireless keyboard solution is the next thing to solve
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 06:36:23 PM by Eason85 »

Offline Eason85

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 07:01:20 PM »
What I found works is pairing the keyboard + mouse to the receiver on another PC/Mac and then use that dongle on the OS9 machine. They stay paired!

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 02:03:16 PM »
I just love it when people ask for advice and don't bother to even mention they already own and are trying the things I spend time suggesting…