Author Topic: Determine actual speed of Ethernet  (Read 7448 times)

Offline torvan

• Veteran Member
  • Old School
Determine actual speed of Ethernet
« on: March 10, 2021, 02:12:22 PM »
I was using Fetch on OS9.2.2 to grab the music file off my Intel iMac running El Capitan on the network via FTP and was pleasantly surprised by the speed. I have written before about how to make El Cap open it's FTP ports, but now a question on the OS9 side: how to determine the speed of the connection.

Is there an application or a tool for OS 9.2.2 that will tell me the actual speed of the connection? As in "Y is connected to Z at X mbps."

I know on El Cap I can just open Terminal and Ping the IP of the OS9 machine, but how can I do that or something similar in OS9?
15 Macs (13 of them ranging from an SE to a MDD), 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Hackintosh. Small house getting smaller with each Mac. . . . .  .Husband shakes his head but supports my habit.

Offline chrisNova777

• Veteran Member
Re: Determine actual speed of Ethernet
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 06:06:20 PM »
the only way i know is to actually use an actual gigabit ethernet network card (PCI) that is known to have a working driver... but i cant think of how to check the actual  connection speed (as other factors like what type of cable can affect speed etc)

im curious now to know how to measure network speed on macos9! how would this be done?

Offline vad12

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 11:28:29 PM »
I know, this is technically a late response....

To find out what speed your network card is set to (10 vs 100 vs 1000), you can check Apple System Profiler under Network Overview.

For simple pinging and traceroute tests, try WhatRoute and OTTool.

For performance testing specifically, I think I once read of a version of iperf2 that is ported to Mac OS, while looking for the Windows 9x port. I'm interested in doing some NIC stress testing myself, I just don't have the right moment to look at this too much, quite yet.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022, 03:52:35 AM »
i think he meant how fast his actual file transfer is.

that is usually shown in the app you use to transfer files, and if not, you can transfer a 1 GB file and see how long it takes. :)
insert arbitrary signature here