Author Topic: ProTools 5 freezes and freezes computer  (Read 3385 times)

Offline w3sl33

• Enthusiast Member
ProTools 5 freezes and freezes computer
« on: March 01, 2021, 07:49:40 PM »
I was running my Mix+ 3 before on Quicksilver and never froze like this.
Since moving it to an MDD it freezes during playback. Is is possible that the RAM in the MDD could cause this freezing?  I added a 1 gb ram stick instead of the required 2x 500mb sticks.
I thought the 1gb stick would be ok. Crucial brand ram. Apple hardware test passes. Cant figure what else could cause a complete freeze. Cant force quit. Just have to power button shutdown. Hope it’s not the MDD Power supply .....
Happens every few days.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: ProTools 5 freezes and freezes computer
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 09:15:55 PM »
The easy: It's NOT the PSU. The either work or they don't. They don't freeze the computer.

The more difficult: Is it the RAM? Best answer you'll get is maybe.
You're correct… the MDD is supposed to have 500Mb SIMMS.
Under OSX. you can run 2x1Gb. However…
OS9 can only access 1.5Gb of RAM. You didn't say what else is in there but I'll guess it's 2x500Mb. So you have 2Gb in 3 SIMMS. It's possible repeat, possible that under OS9 you're running with only 1Gb of accessable RAM.
That's because the "last" 500Mb normally only gets partially accessed by the System in a very arcane way that has been discussed at length here in the past as some have tried (essentially in vain) to find a way to use the full 2Gb under OS9. So, depending on which slot the sticks are in and the alignment of certain blue dwarf stars in a galaxy I forget the name of, the machine may need to have all 500Mb sticks.

The proper recipe for the MDD is: 4 - PC-2700 2.5v, unbuffered, 8-byte, nonparity 184-pin DDR SDRAM
You can buy 500Mb sticks NEW for $15-ish. If you're only using OS9 (again, 1.5Gb max) you probably only need one.
OS9 is really memory-efficient and PT off-loads a lot of stuff onto it's own cards so it's very possible that you're only running out of memory as you say, every few days / now and then.

…or NOT. BUT, for $15 and ten seconds to insert it…
It's worth a try.

Offline w3sl33

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 07:35:21 PM »
Thank you Gary Im going to take your advice for 15$ its worth doing right.
Terrible feeling recording something and then shazam it freezes and you lose the vibe and the track

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 12:56:13 AM »
Pro Tools 5 hates the Multiprocessor Support Extension. Remove it regardless if you have a dual processor system or not. Had issues like yours when I ran my MIX24 system on a MDD and they all went away after moving that extension out of the extensions folder (I had a dual processor system).
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today