Author Topic: Work on a more recent Classilla?  (Read 3663 times)

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
Work on a more recent Classilla?
« on: February 23, 2021, 09:02:40 PM »
At MacRumors a new user is announcing, that he likes to work on a new webbrowser, based on the Classilla code.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/i-am-working-on-a-new-internet-suite-for-mac-os-9.2285093/

I suggest to let him know that a new webbrowser is appreciated, and every new software for our operating system is welcome.

Offline Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Too many Macs..
    • Mac Classic, Mac Attic
Re: Work on a more recent Classilla?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 02:47:04 PM »
Wow nice one that's a big task. Hopefully somehow newer TLS security protocols and a more modern JS engine could be added, otherwise you would still be limited to most of the sites Classilla can already visit.

All for it though, good on them!

Offline PowerFinnrich

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 05:35:40 AM »
At MacRumors a new user is announcing, that he likes to work on a new webbrowser, based on the Classilla code.
WOW! Thank you to share these good news!
Just read through that thread and there is also stated that Cameron Kaiser
himself plans continuing the original Classilla browser, too.

Waiting for the amazing things to come for Mac OS 9!
Browsing this forum with my PowerMacintosh 9600/350 with OS 9.2.2!

Offline ToddH

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 11:36:58 AM »
Not gonna lie...if a more modern browser and email client were to become available for OS 9 I'd probably spend less time in Big Sur on my newer Mac Mini.

Offline blinkfox

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 04:59:00 PM »
I wouldn't get my hopes up. Here's a quote from the guy that's suppositly "working on a new internet suite for mac os 9"

I shared code because, I have been failed to setup (CodeWarrior) correctly for build the project. For people that have more experience in CodeWarrior than me, can help in build and testing.

I decided to download the source code for this "new" internet suite [1] and here are all the changes that he made:

+ mozsrc/mozilla/modules/libpref/src/init/all.js

Code: [Select]
pref("browser.history_expire_days", 9);   →    pref("browser.history_expire_days", 30);
pref("browser.tabs.autoHide", true);      →    pref("browser.tabs.autoHide", false);

I think it's safe to assume that this project won't go anywhere.

[1] https://sourceforge.net/projects/millennium-suite/files/0.1/millennium%200.1a%20source.sit/download
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 05:57:56 PM by blinkfox »

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 10:40:12 PM »
I am sorry for being too enthusiastic. When he later wrote that he cannot build it, it was clear to me that it will not lead anywhere. But I never thought that someone who cannot setup his dev environment is announcing something publicly, … Nevertheless, it shows that the interrest is still there and that a modern webbrowser would be needed.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 10:52:31 PM by Mat »

Offline OS923

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2022, 06:52:45 AM »
Classilla will probably never be relinked. The source code is incomplete.