Author Topic: Poll, who wants a install CD for Early iBook G4's?  (Read 11249 times)

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
Re: Poll, who wants a install CD for Early iBook G4's?
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2022, 11:21:13 AM »
Yup. Easy peezy.

Only concern I had was the screen brightness setting after the install.
(The control is reversed and I had to "dim" my screen in order to "see" it after reboot.)

Have fun ;)

*And screen brightness reversal may not be same on all.
So please report your experience. Thanks!

Offline vorob

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2022, 07:25:27 AM »
I successfully burned cd on my ibook, launched setup and my backlight turned off. After numerous of light key press i managed to get lowest brightness, but battery then using flashlight :). With it i initialized hdd and start restoring, but in the end i received error message:

There was a problem calculating the checksum of the configuration macintosh hd.img on the volume macintosh hd. You may need to try again.

Any idea?

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2022, 07:34:24 AM »
Are you able to mount that Macintosh HD image manually? it’s in the Configurations folder on the CD.

Haven’t had this error before, maybe the disc just didn’t burn correctly, did you use the verify option when burning?

If you can mount the image, you could drag the folders inside over to the HD, but it should restore fine with ASR.

Offline ceratophyllum

• Newcomer
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2022, 10:20:16 AM »
I installed OS 9.2.2 using the boot disk available here on an iBook G4 14" and the screen goes black shortly after most of the extensions load. Pressing brightness down (F1) 20-30 times brightens the screen.  However, I noticed something curious after I installed OpenBSD 7.1 to another partition: if you do not automatically boot mac os 9, but stop at the OpenFirmware prompt and then type mac-boot, Mac OS 9 fully boots and the screen does not go black!

I have run the following openfirmware commands so that the mac waits at the OpenFirmware prompt for me to choose to boot OS 9 (mac-boot) or OpenBSD (boot hd:,ofwboot)

setenv auto-boot? false
reset-all

I am not recommending anyone install OpenBSD 7.1, but rather stopping the boot process at the OF prompt to mitigate the annoying black screen problem (and save the now precious F1 key from wearing out!).

(OpenBSD 7.1 PPC and I suspect most 32bit linux distros currently have NO Firefox and one is better off using the last Classilla on os 9.)

Offline vorob

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2022, 02:46:41 PM »
Are you able to mount that Macintosh HD image manually? it’s in the Configurations folder on the CD.

Haven’t had this error before, maybe the disc just didn’t burn correctly, did you use the verify option when burning?

If you can mount the image, you could drag the folders inside over to the HD, but it should restore fine with ASR.

I tried once again and it also alerted me about checksum issues. But i did what you said and after mounting image i successfully copied files to the drive. Now i've got os9 on my ibook :) Thanks!

I think the backlight is not that bright like it is in osx. And when i turn on my pc with os9 i've got black screen, need to press brightness button numerous of times. And i was surprised that os9 don't know how to handle dmg files.

I also don't have space on my hdd, that's strange :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 03:03:31 PM by vorob »

Offline vorob

« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2022, 10:54:10 AM »
Yep, take a look left one is 2005 model with OS X tiger and right one is 2004 with os9. It’s definitely not entering it’s full brightness. Any chance to fix it?

Offline vorob

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2023, 02:20:20 AM »
Guys, tell me i'm not alone, who have extremely dark picture in OS9 on ibook 2004? And weird light contols.

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2023, 05:27:30 AM »
Guys, tell me i'm not alone, who have extremely dark picture in OS9 on ibook 2004? And weird light contols.

Yes, it's an issue.

No it's not likely to be fixed.