Author Topic: what is MorphOS?  (Read 31613 times)

macStuff

Re: what is MorphOS?
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2018, 09:00:20 PM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06m8pF_8JpM[/youtube]

macStuff

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2018, 09:01:12 PM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XL3i1bwiks[/youtube]

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 11:05:21 AM »
I was most disappointed by MorphOS yesterday: I tried installing it on my Mini, but two major issues I had were:

- My LED monitor couldn't get to work with it at all, which was extremely painful, because my room setup is one which makes it difficult to switch monitors for the mini, and my other monitors are already pretty occupied. OS X and even OS 9 managed to work with it over a VGA cable (HDMI too, but the picture was horrible, especially in OS 9, despite still being half-usable);

- My LaCie FireWire External HDD wouldn't be detected by MorphOS at all. This was my biggest turn off: I considered installing it to check it out on a 30GB partition dedicated to it, but it's not really something I was dying to do, and even that didn't work. If the Mini's FireWire port won't work for external HDDs, then I honestly have no purpose whatsoever for this OS. Only if it at least worked on the Quad G5 (it doesn't; only earlier G5s are supported), then maybe some years later I'd look at it more seriously, but as is, I can't.

I considered bringing this up to them in their forums, but honestly, time is short, and that is not a priority, so that will have to happen later... My 3.10 CD is more than enough MorphOS contact & resources than I may ever need, until this situation changes (if it does).

At least they DID get sound to work on the mini! (The core reason I even tried it out.)

macStuff

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2018, 04:20:18 PM »
ill confess i started this thread because of my own curiousity after stumbling upon some pages mentioning morphos..
i was curious as to wwhether or not htis opened up any possibilities for using old amiga octamed software on a ppc g3/g4?
i have more questions than answers tho and ive never taken the time as u did just yesterday to actually investigate it myself by actually installing the thing..
i would have loved to watch a video of someone doing just that
if anyone finds any youtube videos of anyone installing morphos id love to see

i havent really been exploring this topic myself
i dont really know much more then i did in january 2014 lol

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2018, 10:25:33 AM »
if you use a qualifying mac just download the iso and run it of the disc instead of installing it. its not the fastest way but it gives you a idea. for octamed to work you need a emulation layer like e-ua with roms and some scripts adjusted to make it work but im not sure if and how it will tap the ahi sound device. btw there was/is a octamed studio version loaded with songs and stuff for free. for octamed you might be better of running amikit inside fs-uae with a fully loaded/equipped amiga with all the bells and whistles, that should give you the best compatibilities including 68k amiga ahi.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 10:42:25 AM by devils_advisor »

Offline Naiw

• Veteran Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2018, 02:57:41 PM »
I don't come from an Amiga background (But rather C64 "OS", MacOS and MSDOS was my primary systems as a kid) - and apparently all this thing that's so amazing and awesome with AmigaOS flies totally over my head.

However I bought both an Pegasos back in 2003/2004- the first system outside Amigas that run MorphOS- I also purchased a license for one of my G5s (Mostly out of support for the people that spent an lot of time to develop it, although I must say I've become quite disappointed in the G5 port considering an update totally broke the SATA bus for me- the G5 doesn't detect anything but the CD/DVD drive nowdays thus is unusable on the G5 on anything newer than the last release that actually worked on it)...

If you expect MorphOS to be something special, something that Mac OS X or MacOS 9 is not- you will be disappointed, the system is in some aspects worse than Mac OS 9- what it has that Mac OS 9 never really had good support for is preemptive multitasking, but that's basically it- outside the fact that the developers did write or port quite a lot of software that makes it somewhat useful if you can live with a system with worse memory management than MSDOS- but for example the OWB browser is a relatively modern Webkit based browser that at least the last time I tried it was quite fast considering the hardware. Other than that it's not much to write home about unless it ticks your Amiga nostalgy synapse- the community is among the worst I ever encountered, while there are some people that are very nice and helpful the vast majority are extremely hostile- too be honest even the simplest question often ends up getting answers similar to what Linus Torvalds (renowned for his terrible argumentation techniques and lack of social skills).

When it comes to productivity software, unless there is some well known open source program that has been ported- you can forget about it, if you're lucky you may find something from the 90s that still works (MorphOS does not emulate the Amiga chipset however, so unless it's a well written (read using only the public APIs) application it just won't work- forget about 99% of all Amiga games, if there is some halfassed productivity software somehow still in development (like for example a decent text editor with chroma coloring support) expect the pricetag to be outrageous.

As for the open source software- it's more of a novelity than something useful, Linux runs it all better and more stable.

If you're interested in retro amiga stuff, better get an amiga emulator.

Sorry if this sounds negative, but I'm trying to be honest about my feelings about it- I did spend over $1500 on MorphOS and related hardware, it's fun to have but was it worth it? No not at all.

---

Better clarify,

Did the developers behind MorphOS do something incredible? Yes absolutely they did. And some of them are extremely kind people too (others are complete arses however).
But is it a practical system that breaths new life into your aging hardware? No it's not, it brings features AmigaOS had back in the late 90s- no much happened since.

I'm not trying to say it's a bad system, I'm mainly trying to highlight the only reason people rave about it is because they are Amiga heads- and the Macintosh community would probably claim a thirdparty rewrite of Mac OS 9 would be the best, most ingenious OS ever created as well if it was released today.

But as it's available as a timelimited demo (I think you can run it for 30 minutes at a time- before it essentially crashes) if your Mac supports it, go for it- try it out.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 03:08:17 PM by Naiw »

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2018, 03:06:22 PM »
I don't come from an Amiga background (But rather C64 "OS", MacOS and MSDOS was my primary systems as a kid) - and apparently all this thing that's so amazing and awesome with AmigaOS flies totally over my head.

However I bought both an Pegasos back in 2003/2004- the first system outside Amigas that run MorphOS- I also purchased a license for one of my G5s (Mostly out of support for the people that spent an lot of time to develop it, although I must say I've become quite disappointed in the G5 port considering an update totally broke the SATA bus for me- the G5 doesn't detect anything but the CD/DVD drive nowdays thus is unusable on the G5 on anything newer than the last release that actually worked on it)...

If you expect MorphOS to be something special, something that Mac OS X or MacOS 9 is not- you will be disappointed, the system is in some aspects worse than Mac OS 9- what it has that Mac OS 9 never really had good support for is preemptive multitasking, but that's basically it- outside the fact that the developers did write or port quite a lot of software that makes it somewhat useful if you can live with a system with worse memory management than MSDOS- but for example the OWB browser is a relatively modern Webkit based browser that at least the last time I tried it was quite fast considering the hardware. Other than that it's not much to write home about unless it ticks your Amiga nostalgy synapse- the community is among the worst I ever encountered, while there are some people that are very nice and helpful the vast majority are extremely hostile- too be honest even the simplest question often ends up getting answers similar to what Linus Torvalds (renowned for his terrible argumentation techniques and lack of social skills).

When it comes to productivity software, unless there is some well known open source program that has been ported- you can forget about it, if you're lucky you may find something from the 90s that still works (MorphOS does not emulate the Amiga chipset however, so unless it's a well written (read using only the public APIs) application it just won't work- forget about 99% of all Amiga games, if there is some halfassed productivity software somehow still in development (like for example a decent text editor with chroma coloring support) expect the pricetag to be outrageous.

As for the open source software- it's more of a novelity than something useful, Linux runs it all better and more stable.

Sorry if this sounds negative, but I'm trying to be honest about my feelings about it- I did spend over $1500 on MorphOS and related hardware, it's fun to have but was it worth it? No not at all.

so you got access to the discs they packaged for the peg back in the days too? which system did you buy?

Offline Naiw

• Veteran Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2018, 03:13:22 PM »

so you got access to the discs they packaged for the peg back in the days too? which system did you buy?

I don't recall getting anything packaged with my peg except for an version of MorphOS 1.x (don't remember the exact version), I did purchase a software pack called "The super bundle" however.
I bought the Pegasos 1 G3 (with the "April 2 fix", I believe 600 Mhz, haven't started it in quite some time though but I still have the machine), ironically the hardware was so bugged that MorphOS was basically the only system that run on it without random freezes and crashes- unless you disable DMA and can live with a seriously crippled harddrive/cdrom bandwidth.
On that particular machine MorphOS runs quite well however.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2018, 03:19:59 PM »
yes i was talking about the super bundle. i didnt know you had to buy it afterwards, thought it was more like a catch to get people to buy the machine. it contained a amiga prostation audio license from memory. if you got it let me have a copy of all the discs i like to disect it and see what it is all about. i run morphos on a ti book and it runs ok. memory leaks and some other flaws but ok so far. for some reason on my mini it wont run as stable as the ti book.

Offline Naiw

• Veteran Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2018, 03:58:31 PM »
yes i was talking about the super bundle. i didnt know you had to buy it afterwards, thought it was more like a catch to get people to buy the machine. it contained a amiga prostation audio license from memory. if you got it let me have a copy of all the discs i like to disect it and see what it is all about. i run morphos on a ti book and it runs ok. memory leaks and some other flaws but ok so far. for some reason on my mini it wont run as stable as the ti book.

I might misremember, I'm fairly certain I paid for it but perhaps that was because it was a hardcopy- it seems to been available for download at one point too.

I'll see if I can find it and rip at least that CD- but since my upload speed is pretty limited (1Mbit) I'm not that keen on ripping all 4 cds, but remember we're talking about something that's about 15 years ago I obtained- and haven't touched since either.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2018, 04:08:10 PM »
that would be great. amiga had a few good audio appz back in the day.

macStuff

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2018, 12:22:57 PM »
that would be great. amiga had a few good audio appz back in the day.

i was curious if you could run pro24 for Amiga on MorphOS but i read somewhere that MIDI implementation on MorphOS is basically inexistant at this point which is a shame
so correct me if im wrong but i think this is similar to other emulators where they totally overlooked MIDI in its design + implementation

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2018, 04:49:35 PM »
If an app tickles the original amiga chips it will crash. i believe programs like this one didnt have a way to route the audio to the ahi interface and would look for a library like the toccata (thats a real soundcard) and just die. As for midi nobody has ported the newer midi libs that amiga os4 has to the system. Its called Camd and thats what they been talking about in a forum a while back. The guy who wrote the tracker was interested in it but i never saw a result. it all fails on that part. I know there is interest in it and it will work but just not enough to convince the guy to write it for morphos.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2018, 06:46:23 PM »
The Fastest Apple Mac is an Amiga - Fact or Fiction?

[youtube]Jph0gxzL3UI[/youtube]

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2018, 07:11:40 PM »
OK... so I think it's time to load this thing up and check it out...  Remember, you can run it with all the features for 30 min (if you don't buy a license),
and then simply reboot or it will slow down in unlicensed mode; the current version is 3.11 and costs $79 EUR / $90 Bucks USA, but I would recommend running it as a free system until you decide it is something you want...

The price is 79 EUR for one laptop or desktop computer. Special pricing of 49 EUR per device is offered for EfikaPPC and Sam460 systems.

The unregistered version of MorphOS includes the full functionality, but slows down operation after a 30 minutes period until you choose to reboot your computer.

http://www.morphos.de/intro

I just got in six G5 Towers on the way to the scrap yard, and I will load this up and post something if time permits; I am guessing this thing will run pretty snappy on a G5 tower

Not Sure if I can test it as a DAW, but found this for MIDI (as Devil mentioned)...
MorphOS is far from being a decent DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) but some progress has been made with the 3.10 release: camd.library for MIDI applications and support for isochronous USB devices like audio card. Those two system components open new horizons on the DAW territory even if MorphOS lacks the most basic applications.

As a side note, there is a SMF (infamous .mid files) player bundled with latest MorphOS 3.10 ISO located in the C: assign under a well choosen name: PlayMIDI

« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 07:28:22 PM by DieHard »

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2018, 07:55:41 PM »
I got 2 licensed machines. Caveat is the type of machine. The fastest would be the 2.7 GHz watercoowate and the next issue is the support for graphics cards. There is literally no suposup for Nvidia. And ATI only a few depending on what you wanna do with the machine.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2019, 10:36:07 PM »
The fastest would be the 2.7 GHz watercoowate and the next issue is the support for graphics cards.
Yeah, I can't count how many of those babies leaked and ended up in ewaste after killing both the MB and the power supply (at the bottom);
one of the worst designs ever by Apple... AFAIK, never again did Apple attempt a Water cooled Tower system

There is literally no suposup for Nvidia. And ATI only a few depending on what you wanna do with the machine.
Yeah, I saw that... a real bummer...

Damn, morph looks so cool, but as usual I have no time to really give it a shot even with a tom of machines to try it on :(

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2019, 02:32:59 PM »
So i tested Studio 16 and it shows a screen but it crashes/locks up the machine right after that. normal install fails right away because of the missing soundcard.
Unless somebody can patch that it wont run. There are however plenty of give aways after all these years of programs that used to be a little out of budget.
If they get midi support done its a nice addon to a studio environment. BTW the Studio16 Soundcards will never run in anything but a amiga, options would be the ahi interface to fool the software.

Offline daddyjeff

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2019, 07:02:45 PM »
commodore amiga was a very good time, for the trackers-type sequencers, it also had many editors, midi sequencers and audio processors in standalone mode, for more than 10 years, entire compilations of animation, image and sound and graphic design programs were published, they called themselves amiga format, aminet, amiworld, some of them gave away programs in floppy disk format and later CDs of 16-bit sound libraries and collections with samples and programs.

the computer hardware by default amiga commodore computer already bring their integrated interface of factory with their RCA connections, I suppose this morphos operating system, it will not be a problem to run software from the 90 in a G3 or G4, where he had production programs musical as octamed, protracker turbosund and many more.

all were running under 3.0 workbetch, I have a commodore amiga 500 computer with their original discs and another amiga commodore 1200 computer with external hard drive.

I have also my G4 MMD a hard drive dedicated to the operating system ¨morphOS¨ with the desire to build my MAC in an audio production system with amiga commodore and mac os9 / X.

despite being a computer with excellent games with good soundtracks, was also a legacy of music production outside windows, mac and atari and amoga gave the best of commodore at the level of musical production   -afro-
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 09:46:31 AM by daddyjeff »

Offline daddyjeff

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2019, 07:13:54 PM »
there is still a lot of software for the creation of games in the disciplines of image and sound, also in the world of 3D animation and 4D of the 90s.

although many know the commodore amiga computers as one of the best computers for videogames, had a good support of many applications to create all their videogame legacy. many herremientas were created, here an example of all their magazines with their downloadable CDs valid for those who have an old friend commodore or a mac powerpc with morphOS that serves to use these old programs for mac powerpc.

https://archive.org/details/amigaformatcd

https://archive.org/details/amiga_cdrom?&sort=-downloads&page=2

https://archive.org/details/aminetcd
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 08:03:16 PM by daddyjeff »