Author Topic: Assembly language compiler  (Read 2240 times)

Offline Roman323

• Enthusiast Member
Assembly language compiler
« on: February 11, 2021, 09:24:11 PM »
Does anyone know what the name of the PowerPC assembler app is, so I can get back into programming again in Assembly ?

Offline Daniel

• Gold Member
  • Programmer, Hacker, Thinker
Re: Assembly language compiler
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 06:56:42 AM »
Well, Macintosh Programmer's Workshop can assemble PowerPC code (with the PPCAsm tool).

There are probably many other apps and IDEs that work. Is there anything in particular you are looking for?

Offline Bolkonskij

• Gold Member
    • Cornica.org
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 07:46:09 AM »
I guess you're looking for Fantasm, are you ? At least that's what comes to mind when I think about Assembler and Macs ...
Reel changer over at cornica.org

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 01:07:26 AM »
I second Fantasm, specifically 6.x. Get it from the Macintosh Garden and have fun!

As previously stated, MPW will do the trick, too.

There are more tools, but you'd have to do more digging... But I don't expect them to be better than the two above. (Did CodeWarrior also offer an assembler?)

Side-note: Technically we call "assembly compilers" just "assemblers". There's really no compilation happening (unlike in a processor-agnostic programming language), it's all 1:1 mapping between mnemonics ("text" instructions) and binary CPU OpCodes (binary instructions). ("Disassembly" being the term for the same 1:1 translation, but in the opposite direction.)

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 04:07:20 AM »
Side-note: Technically we call "assembly compilers" just "assemblers". There's really no compilation happening (unlike in a processor-agnostic programming language), it's all 1:1 mapping between mnemonics ("text" instructions) and binary CPU OpCodes (binary instructions). ("Disassembly" being the term for the same 1:1 translation, but in the opposite direction.)

Actually modern (from 80s) macro assemblers can also compile macros to binary instructions (or plain binary data) and do code optimization if liked.
Is there any like this for Mac?:

Offline OS923

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 07:15:26 AM »
CodeWarrior can do assembler too. You have to write "asm" before your function name. Then you can write assembler instructions in your function instead of C/C++.