Author Topic: mouse dropping to bottom of screen  (Read 1603 times)

Offline capthavoc

• Newcomer
mouse dropping to bottom of screen
« on: February 11, 2021, 09:46:15 AM »
Hi guys new here, I have a mac mini G4 1.42ghz.  i burned the Ros mac 9.2 for mac mini v9 to DVD. I can fully boot the dvd no problem. But once it is fully loaded and the txt file comes up the mouse cursor dropped to the bottom of the screen and I can't move it back up to initialize disk etc for installing mac os 9. I'm so close :P and it fails :'(. there is a V8 iso but haven't been able to burn it yet,(out of disks). is there any other option or thing i missed ?  or any change that version might work?
( i was able to have classic under 10.4  no  problem at all ) but like to make a full mac OS 9 mac out of this one.

btw i empty out the HDD so there is no other OS on the HDD ATM.     

update: unfortunately V8 was a nono either, i wasted 2 disks on it but was able to see the happy face mac but it just sits there taunting me.       
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 03:47:23 PM by capthavoc »

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
Re: mouse dropping to bottom of screen
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 07:02:43 PM »
Dear Captain Havoc,

Gosh do we all hate that taunting happy Mac face, here. AND that Mouse Suicide plunge + freezy too. First I wonder if you’ve a non Apple mouse / keyboard… but if it was working under 10.4 - perhaps not the issue?

Shouldn’t need to revert to earlier V.8. Stay the course with V.9.
Tried “c” key boot? (Yes IIO, lower case “c” there.)
Tried “option” key boot?
Then there’s the ol’ Open Firmware boot to try as well.
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4658.msg33605.html#msg33605
(Substitute “V.9 disk” where it says “Universal Install” in the above post.)

You might have a slight “bad burn” disc if none of the above works.

Best of luck.

*Blow dust out of the CD/DVD drive?
**No thumb drives or any other non-essential connections.
***Can you boot from any (other) OS X installer disc?
If you can get it to boot from the V.9 disc, format your HD before the install.

Offline capthavoc

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 03:35:05 AM »
i manage to fix it, SHIFT at a startup on the DVD startup did the trick !!!  After that i could initialize en run the Apple restore and the startup disk set  i did take me a view time to fully  run the installer i failed one time but don give up hope just try again as long as the disk is ok it should work  now running daedelus encounter and Morpheus smoother than i have ever had ;D  those where my first games on mac i still have a view thing i like to try

bTW i use a normal keyb and mouse so that is not a problem during installation. Sound is only by headphone jack loud but i wil fix that later.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 06:02:13 AM »
This issue is caused by some non apple mouse and USB Overdrive. With the correct mouse settings this issue disappears.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 10:54:04 AM »
MacTron FTW. I had the same issue. FWIW I could never get usb overdrive to work right for my gear and I ended up going without.
got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind