Author Topic: WELCOME to our new members!  (Read 6750 times)

supernova777

WELCOME to our new members!
« on: January 26, 2014, 07:24:34 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
good to see people signing up.. would love to see you post + tell us a bit about your interests..

Offline Dane D.

• Valued Member
Re: WELCOME to our new members!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 05:36:17 PM »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
good to see people signing up.. would love to see you post + tell us a bit about your interests..
I photograph/video my kids sporting events, music concerts and other activities. Then proceed to make a video of the season or music events that in turn are made into DVDs for my family. This video is my most involved,
 [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y04mG-j6XVs[/youtube].
During the season I shot over 900 images and had to compile a video for the banquet at the end of the season. I spent many hours selecting images, had to make sure everybody was shown throughout the season. Laid down the soundtrack and output the finished project through iDVD. Then made copies for all the swimmers, complete with insert artwork for the jewel cases. The seniors received a DVD case with personalized covers.

I don't use my G3 for this because it would take forever and it would be in the old 4:3 ratio. I use my work Mac Pro.

Other interests include collecting music and HD concerts. Have 119.8GB of music in my iTunes. 50GB of concerts.

I was in a game clan for many years till the person that was in charge of paying for the clan website decided to disappear. I was re-building it in Drupal because he was paying for a theme and wanted to go the open-source route.

Outside the computer world, I hunt whitetail deer either with a crossbow or 12 gauge shotgun using slugs. Been hunting for since the late 70's. Have a 10-point and 8-point on my wall.

Cars are my other love. My family is car crazy and I got the bug too. I learned to drive in a 1936 Ford Sedan from my grandfather who rebuilt it. My senior year in high school, I drove a 1936 Ford 5-window coupe. After that I got my hands on a 1973 Camaro which I added some performance items to and drag raced at various tracks. After the Camaro, came a 1970 Firebird which I modified with performance parts and raced. My wife has a 1965 Ford Mustang sitting in the garage waiting for a restoration.

That is a little information about me.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 07:02:02 PM »
Dane,

Very Cool Video...

I work at a retail computer service/sales location 6 days a week, play in a band on the weekends call "The Stingers"

https://www.facebook.com/SocalStingers

(most of the Audio projects there were done in Cubase VST/32 under OS 9 and some LP9 on Snow Leopard, I recorded them and mixed them)

I also find time for my 2 boys (8 and 14) and my wife

Offline Graveyard

• Enthusiast Member
  • I don't do Windows! said the janitor...
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 10:50:42 PM »
Hello there!
My name is Andrei (Andrew in english). I just turned 32 almost a week ago.
My late father introduced me to electronics at a very young age. I was 7 when i made from scratch my first AM radio. The computer bug i caught when i was about 10. My mom got me and my brother a Spectrum compatible computer, made right here in Romania. Man, we've spent hours upon hours in front of that thing programming in Basic and trying out games. A short while after getting this, i saw one at a friend's place that had a floppy drive. No more tape loading crap. But the fdd controller was so expensive, we couldn't afford one. So i managed to get my hands on a malfunctioning one which i brought back to life in a couple of weeks. We used that computer for about 2 years. PCs were making their entrance on the market at that time here, and i really wanted one of those. Especially for getting some sound besides blips and blops, some decent games, Doom was first on my list. I managed to get my hands on an AMD 80386 running at a whopping 25 MHz. I had to return it in dissapointment to the guy i got it from, because what i was making as a "junior tv repairman" (i was 14), wasn't enough to pay for the darn thing. But lucky me, a friend of my parents gave me and my brother a Macintosh SE 30.
That was my first Mac. And i have never looked at another "chinese mis(t)ery box" as i call the pc. I've had an Amiga a few years ago but i sold it because i couldn't find anything for it here in Romania. I still have my trusty SGI O2 though. I have had many other pc computers over the years, but only as secondary machines i could use for BeOS. I have made some interesting things for and with that OS. I even had a distro similar to Max, but which really worked, unlike Max that crashed because of some bad software or scrambled libraries.
Anyway, believe it or not, my current job is as a translator. I translate technical documentation from romanian to english and viceversa for an oilfield equipment manufacturer here.
I still work electronics, revive old computers that i find, but only in my spare time which isn't much these days. My wife works as an english teacher.
I do like to play some games on my consoles from time to time. My favourite console of all times, is and will always be the Nintendo 64. Don't ask me why i love the darn thing so much, but i do. Maybe because i worked my ass off as a teenager to be able to get a second-hand one.
I was even thinking about trying to do some stuff on the SGI O2 since i have the N64 SDK.
My real second job is at home, doing computer repairs (99.9% of them are windblows pcs) and also console repairs. If i didn't do this, it would be impossible for us to pay even the bills since jobs are paid shit here in my country.
Well i hope i didn't bore you to death.
Best wishes from Romania
Andrei
27" iMac Intel Core i5 3,1 GHz, 16GB ddr3, 1TB hdd, Radeon HD 6970 1GB gddr5
MacPro 8 core Xeon 2,8 GHz
PowerMac G5 Dual Core 2,3 GHz
17" iMac G5 1,6GHz
PowerMac G4 Quicksilver dual 800MHz
PowerMac G4 MDD, Dual 1,25GHz
PowerMac G3 B&W 400MHz
iMac G3 Ruby 400MHz
IMac G3 Blueberry 400MHz
PowerBook G3 400MHz, AirPort
Macintosh Quadra 610
Macintosh Classic II
SGI O2 R10000SC 175MHz, 192 MB ram, 4GB hdd
Other stuff:PS4 slim, PS3 slim, Xbox classic, Xbox 360, Nintendo 64, Nintendo DSi XL, Gameboy Advance, Original GameBoy, GameBoy color.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 11:12:58 PM »
Hay Andrei,

Very interesting, I used to use BeOS to hack HP scanjets and make stand alone scanners (with no server needed)... just scan to PC via samba share... anyway, glad you made it here and hope we can help you get what you need for the macs :)

supernova777

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 11:17:27 PM »
I even had a distro similar to Max, but which really worked, unlike Max that crashed because of some bad software or scrambled libraries.

LOL !!!!!!
i had problems using his stuff aswell..
honestly seemed like he has configuration challenges

Offline Graveyard

• Enthusiast Member
  • I don't do Windows! said the janitor...
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 11:22:34 PM »
Yeah, the installer worked ok, but after your first boot from the hdd, the new sound manager or whatever it was called, caused trackbar to crash as soon as you clicked on the darn thing to adjust the volume. Another stupid thing, was that many of the games included didn't work because of scrambled libraries. I remember working for days to get the right combination of libraries that would work with all my programs.
27" iMac Intel Core i5 3,1 GHz, 16GB ddr3, 1TB hdd, Radeon HD 6970 1GB gddr5
MacPro 8 core Xeon 2,8 GHz
PowerMac G5 Dual Core 2,3 GHz
17" iMac G5 1,6GHz
PowerMac G4 Quicksilver dual 800MHz
PowerMac G4 MDD, Dual 1,25GHz
PowerMac G3 B&W 400MHz
iMac G3 Ruby 400MHz
IMac G3 Blueberry 400MHz
PowerBook G3 400MHz, AirPort
Macintosh Quadra 610
Macintosh Classic II
SGI O2 R10000SC 175MHz, 192 MB ram, 4GB hdd
Other stuff:PS4 slim, PS3 slim, Xbox classic, Xbox 360, Nintendo 64, Nintendo DSi XL, Gameboy Advance, Original GameBoy, GameBoy color.