Author Topic: JAZ SCSI PC-Card on Powerbook Pismo  (Read 1793 times)

Offline m_cohen

• Newcomer
JAZ SCSI PC-Card on Powerbook Pismo
« on: January 26, 2021, 10:16:01 PM »
Hello, please excuse my bumpy English ... I am from Austria.

I have a JAZ SCSI PC-Card and would like to use the JAZ drive on my Powerbook (Pismo, 500Mhz).

The PC-Card is displayed on my desktop (AD 1460) as an icon. But when I connect the JAZ drive to it, it is not found.
Also the iomega drive software does not show the drive.

Does the card generally work under Mac Os 9? Is there a special driver for it? If so, where can I get one?

Thank you in advance for the help.

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
Re: JAZ SCSI PC-Card on Powerbook Pismo
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 06:15:44 AM »
You’ve tried different JAZ cartridges, inserted in the JAZ drive while it is connected?

OR… different SCSI devices connected to the card’s SCSI cable too?

Offline m_cohen

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 09:06:29 PM »
You’ve tried different JAZ cartridges, inserted in the JAZ drive while it is connected? Yes

OR… different SCSI devices connected to the card’s SCSI cable too? No, i don't have more external SCSI devices

Offline SDG

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 05:34:30 AM »
External SCSI devices need to be attached and powered on before booting up your Pismo. They are not hot swap like USB devices. There is a driver for Zip/Jaz drives for OS9 - you should install Iomega Tools as they it also contains an app for formatting and partitioning Jaz disks. I would not use Drive Setup for that.

Make sure you use the recommended SCSi ID on your Jaz device and that termination is enabled. Connect your Jaz device and switch it on before turning on your Pismo. 

Offline m_cohen

• Newcomer
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 06:57:35 AM »
External SCSI devices need to be attached and powered on before booting up your Pismo. They are not hot swap like USB devices. There is a driver for Zip/Jaz drives for OS9 - you should install Iomega Tools as they it also contains an app for formatting and partitioning Jaz disks. I would not use Drive Setup for that. I've already installed Iomega Tools because I use a Iomega 250 ZIP Drive (external) and the same from VST internal.

Make sure you use the recommended SCSi ID on your Jaz device and that termination is enabled. Connect your Jaz device and switch it on before turning on your Pismo. The drive is connected and powered on before I switch the Pismo on. SCSi ID is on 4 (recommended according to the manual) and the termination is enabled.

Is it possible, that the PC Card is displayed on the desktop, but still needs a driver for the functionality?

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 08:09:52 AM »
Well, if your Iomega 250 ZIP Drive (external) is a SCSI device try it connected to the pcmcia card to test function.
You’re certain that the JAZ drive is functional?
(JAZ drives at this point in time - and even long before now, were often prone to failure AND more so than ZIP drives.)

I’ve numerous non-working JAZ drives here and only within the last year have I transferred all data from all JAZ discs to hard drives because of inherent JAZ drive failure(s).
I no longer trust them and haven’t for quite some time now.

“Is it possible, that the PC Card is displayed on the desktop, but still needs a driver for the functionality?”

Yes it is possible but I doubt it.

Again… a “tested & working” other SCSI device might help in answering your questions.