Author Topic: Does "Silicone Degradation" Exist?  (Read 1410 times)

Offline iMacG4Guy

• Newcomer
Does "Silicone Degradation" Exist?
« on: January 18, 2021, 06:28:51 PM »
Will a processor chip with no issues slow down as miles are clocked? ex. Computer A and Computer B are exactly the same in specs and setup. If Computer A is used 24/7 for 10 years, and Computer B is only used 5 hours a week for 10 years, would Computer B operate the same task faster than A?

This is ignoring things like a failed HDD or bad memory. Specifically targeting the logic board/cpu/gpu.

Reason I ask is I have a 2002 PowerBook that was clearly never used and a 2006 PowerBook that was clearly heavily used. Both have new HDD and RAM, yet the 2002 operates smoother and faster on the same tasks, even though it's a slower, older processor.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Does "Silicone Degradation" Exist?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 08:37:45 PM »
Will a processor chip with no issues slow down as miles are clocked? ex. Computer A and Computer B are exactly the same in specs and setup. If Computer A is used 24/7 for 10 years, and Computer B is only used 5 hours a week for 10 years, would Computer B operate the same task faster than A?

Sounds like an interesting hypothesis... but... Nope;  I test machines that are 20 years plus old and they have the same CPU benchmarks as they did at the time of manufacturer; Now that being said there are many variables when it comes to old Macs and other vintage computers.
Heat is a real enemy... as boards micro-crack, warp, blow capacitors... as humidity and oxidation wreaks havoc on contacts, components,  and buses; you may develop performance issues that make it seem logical that the machine is suffering from "overuse" but this is just a manifestation of physical "abuse" 

I am in Southern CA and electronics love it here.  The dry cool air of storage keeps stuff like new; and if you are diligent when it comes to fans and arctic silver; these ancient macs pass all their extended diagnostics without issue. When I lived in New York, I saw first hand what humid, salty, air does to electronics and it is not a pretty site :(

This is ignoring things like a failed HDD or bad memory. Specifically targeting the logic board/cpu/gpu.
See above, many very old logic boards, CPUs, and GPUs thrive if they are cared for over the years regardless of use.

Reason I ask is I have a 2002 PowerBook that was clearly never used and a 2006 PowerBook that was clearly heavily used. Both have new HDD and RAM, yet the 2002 operates smoother and faster on the same tasks, even though it's a slower, older processor.

Well, you did not mention the apps or what the "same tasks" are, but I think you are missing an inherent difference between the 2 units.  there are more variable than just the "older, slower CPU" Cache, DMA, OS Version, Chipsets, drivers, app version and many more items are in the mix besides the CPU

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Does "Silicone Degradation" Exist?
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 10:36:01 AM »
this reminds me on the stories after which music CDs would sound better when you store them in the deep freeze.
insert arbitrary signature here