Author Topic: iBook G4 1.42 GHz Woes (Should apply to 1.33 12" models as well)  (Read 2762 times)

Offline ebones5

• Newcomer
iBook G4 1.42 GHz Woes (Should apply to 1.33 12" models as well)
« on: December 23, 2020, 12:56:02 PM »
I figured that I'd make this thread for people who are interested in running OS9 on the "final generation" of iBook G4's (14" 1.42 GHz, 12" 1.33 GHz), while many of these problems have been documented its kinda spread between a few places so hopefully this thread will make it easier to find info. I'm currently running OS9 on my G4 (w/ 10.4.11) with the following issues:

No AirPort support (no OS9 AirPort Extreme driver for any Mac)
Only operates in 256 color mode (which is odd because when I first did this a few years ago I could swear I had Millions of colors)
   Subset of the graphics issue: Selecting either 256 greys or running a game in 256 color mode inverts the colors (only game I have tested is SimTower)
No graphics acceleration (No graphics driver for ATI, Snowy cards as of yet)
No sound (similar problem on other OS9 G4's, due to some OF scripting to get the system to boot at all)
Fans either at a low speed or not spinning at all
Trackpad doesn't work (unless you delete one of the USB extensions and even then its painfully slow)
OSX doesn't show OS9 as a startup disk (minor annoyance more than anything else)
EDIT: Also USB is painfully slow (also occurs on other G4 models)

I think that's it! I know these issues have been documented before in various threads and forums but it'd be nice to have a place for late-model iBook G4's!
EDIT: I'll try and add a post with my OF/NVRAM script if I can
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 01:11:15 PM by ebones5 »

Offline Eason85

Re: iBook G4 1.42 GHz Woes (Should apply to 1.33 12" models as well)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 09:43:16 AM »
Do you happen to have the necessary OF commands to get the unsupported G4 OS9 CD install?

Thanks!