Author Topic: iMac G4 800Mhz 15" display can't get it to install OS9  (Read 1797 times)

Offline damaini

• Newcomer
iMac G4 800Mhz 15" display can't get it to install OS9
« on: December 21, 2020, 04:46:31 PM »
Hello everyone
I'm new to the MacOS 9 world and I'm trying to learn.  I purchase an iMac G4 (lamp) 800mhz, 15" display.   According to EverydayMac.com  is Apple iMac G4 800 (Flat Panel) Identifiers: iMac Flat Panel - M8535LL/A* - PowerMac4,2 - M6498 - 1873.
And I should be able to boot and install MacOS 9.
I insert any 9 CD in the CD-ROM drive and it won't boot.  I held the Option key during booting and doesn't even see the CD.
I put the G4 in target disk and from an iMac G3 that currently is running OS9, I did a format and install of OS9.  The G3 will boot from the drive, but the G4 won't.
If I insert a OSX cd, it will see it, boot and I can install.  I proceeded to install OSX and then tried to launch 9 to install and it won't let me.  If I try to select the boot drive to be the OS 9 CD it won't see it inside the system properties to select it as startup disk.
I'm getting frustrated.

I read on another similar thread something about compatibility, so I booted into the Open Firmware and executed dev /
.properties
This is the result:
model PowerMac 4,2
compatible  PowerMac 4,2
                  MacRISC3
                  Power Macintosh

This is a Christmas present for my husband who loves old games, so we need it to boot OS9 native, the classic environment won't work for him. Could someone please enlighten me in what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Offline snes1423

• Enthusiast Member
Re: iMac G4 800Mhz 15" display can't get it to install OS9
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 06:41:52 PM »
try running the commands that one of the commenters left on this video works for everyone I give the link too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glCo9j5CB8o

Offline damaini

• Newcomer
Re: iMac G4 800Mhz 15" display can't get it to install OS9
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 07:41:05 AM »
Finally I was able to solve it yesterday.
Many Thanks to DieHard.

I used the following: Mac OS 9.2.2 For Previously Unsupported G4s (G4s that shipped OS X Boot Only) - ISO CD Image
Contains Modified ROM, No Crazy Commands to type, Just Boot and Install !
Link: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2143.0.html

I just created the media, held the option key when booting, and voilá... it saw the information in the CD.  I booted from it and did a clean install of 9.2.2. 
Yay!!!!

I'm happy and feel accomplished. 

MERRY CHRISTMAS, YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!