Author Topic: clone startup disk  (Read 2964 times)

Offline w3sl33

• Enthusiast Member
clone startup disk
« on: December 13, 2020, 02:22:01 PM »
I have a scsi drive I want to boot OS9 protools with. I already have an IDE drive in the computer and I want to clone it. It is 20GB and the destination drive is 10GB.
5GB is used on the IDE source drive. When I try to clone it disk utility says the destination drive (10GB) is not big enough. Is there any way to clone only the used part (5GB) of the drive so I don't get the error? Thank you for helping me. W3s.

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
Re: clone startup disk
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 09:58:01 PM »
What programs are you using, and what exactly is your aim?

Usually Mac OS 9 needs no "cloning" for a backup or the data available at other disks. Just move the HD-folder to another volume and copy it. Except you want to create a 100% backup of your existing volume (what for?), including installed programs with any kind of copy protection or installation prohibition (there are few Mac OS 9 programs doing so).

Offline Hopfenholz

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 12:36:52 AM »
I was going to say the same. An exception to this rule is the system folder itself which needs to be “blessed”. The way you do this under Mac OS 9 is to open it in the finder and close it again, simple as that. You’ll know if it worked as the happy face appears on the folder icon.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 01:11:07 AM »
this is not what you asked for, but a 100 gb SSD is 40 dollars, or 15 dollars second hand, plus 3 for the adapter.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 10:56:41 AM »
plus 3 for the adapter.
Please tell me more. An 40 pin IDE to SATA working well at Mac OS 9 in all speeds (ATA modes)?

And regarding w3sl33, we really would need to know what exactly is the aim, and the programs in use recently. So we would have a ton of ideas how to get there. ;)

Offline w3sl33

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 12:12:21 PM »
plus 3 for the adapter.
Please tell me more. An 40 pin IDE to SATA working well at Mac OS 9 in all speeds (ATA modes)?

And regarding w3sl33, we really would need to know what exactly is the aim, and the programs in use recently. So we would have a ton of ideas how to get there. ;)

Will this work with my quicksilver 1.0dp or my mdd 1.25dp? I use protools 5.1 on 9 and 6.4.1 on 10.3
Now I use Cheetah Scsi drives connected to UL3D
System folders bless but programs break without all files copied.

Offline w3sl33

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 12:16:32 PM »
plus 3 for the adapter.

I tried carbon copy cloner but it doesn't work. I tried disk copy and drive genius. I guess when I clone a drive it needs to copy the unused space?
I wanted to clone so I don't have to re-install everything and also when I de-frag pro tools runs better but I found that copying the drive after reformatting works as well. If I don't block clone copy I think it breaks some programs. System folder blessing working ok but programs break.

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2020, 05:50:53 AM »
I use protools 5.1 on 9 and 6.4.1 on 10.3

Sorry I do not understand. You got a "dualboot", means mainly a X partition with Classic, and want to clone the entire disc including X? Or have you got two partitions?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 05:38:40 AM »

i wouldnt even bother to use an SSD, a more modern HD better than his 20gb one will also max out the port.

but like i said, of course that is not what has been asked for.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2020, 05:42:33 AM »
oh now that he asked it again, i see that he wanted to copy the 20 gb drive to the 10 gb drive.

that wont work, it must be of equal size or bigger to clone it.

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2020, 05:01:36 PM »

i wouldnt even bother to use an SSD, a more modern HD better than his 20gb one will also max out the port.

but like i said, of course that is not what has been asked for.
My question was about that 3-bucks-adapter that you were talking about! I would love to see a cheap well working adapter that I can plug into IDE cables directly. Of course there are Adapters that can be plugged into the mainboard, or 44 pin adapters that are usable with gender changers and so on, but an adapter for 3,- usable with 9 at any PPCs IDE cable is interresting!  I alredy have 5 adapters, and would like to not search on or pay 28 bucks for one adapter, ... so please tell me the model …

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2020, 05:05:08 PM »
oh now that he asked it again, i see that he wanted to copy the 20 gb drive to the 10 gb drive.
Where did he ask it "again"?
It is written in the first post.

that wont work, it must be of equal size or bigger to clone it.
That is why I asked again and again what his aim is. If he likes to clone an X mass storage that will not work with a smaller disc, as you said. If he likes to backup 9 stuff, we have other solutions for him. If he likes to have another boot drive for 9 we can as well help him with his existing 10GB drive.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2020, 06:20:28 AM »
however - with the exception of a frequently used, long-term OSX system disk - there should be no need to clone drives.

10 gb manual copying for backup purposes? that is what i do on an average day here.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2020, 06:30:57 AM »
My question was about that 3-bucks-adapter that you were talking about!

hm, i wasnt sure if you are serious. did you miss all the SATA talking here 1-2 years ago?

these green ones work great, i use a bunch of them in quicksilvers and optical cases for CD/DVD/BD.

for a MDD you can use one of them too, but if you need 2, the other one must allow to set it to "master", like the red startech (7-13 euro)

greens ones starting at 3,25 euro from hong kong or china. if you dont find one on ebay, wait 2 weeks and search again, prices are going up and down. best prices are from new dealers with only a few thousand transactions.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2020, 06:31:35 AM »
bondi blue also need master.

no idea about cube.

Offline w3sl33

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2020, 05:57:35 PM »
I finally got it to work on Tiger. Leopard, Panther, Jaguar, 9.2.2 did not work. Tiger has worked for other things as well when other OS fail.
Drive Genius copied the drive without the unused space and all hidden files needed to run the audio applications. I appreciate all the help.
Sometimes these things take time I guess.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2021, 07:46:43 PM »
drive genius