Author Topic: Mac Mini OS9.2.2 with FullHD Monitor, Resolution too high for Games  (Read 2982 times)

Offline Pummelfee

Hi!!

My Mac Mini G$ does boot up now with 9.2.2 v9

I just want to know if anyone managed to make a setting for a modern Full HD Display with a lower resolution in a correct widescren scaling. I would like to get something like 1024 x 640 ...

I installed SwitchRes 2 but all settings other then 1920x1080 are not in the correct aspect ratio, like 1024x768.

Appreciate any help!

PS is it possible to have german keyboard settings somehow?

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
Re: Mac Mini OS9.2.2 with FullHD Monitor, Resolution too high for Games
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 01:06:16 PM »
That is more typically a setting on your monitor, not the computer. I'd suggest going through your monitors settings menu and looking for anything related to input scaling
got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 05:34:33 PM »
how many applications did you try already?

not all games will refuse to load or stretch the image, many will be able to place the canvas in the middle and leave margins at the sides. others, like UT, allow you to modify their settings by editing the prefs file to any aspect ratio and size you wish.

and yes, many FHD monitors only offer a small selection of possible resolutions.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Front 424

• Enthusiast Member
  • not exactly new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 08:24:57 PM »
how many applications did you try already?

not all games will refuse to load or stretch the image, many will be able to place the canvas in the middle and leave margins at the sides. others, like UT, allow you to modify their settings by editing the prefs file to any aspect ratio and size you wish.

and yes, many FHD monitors only offer a small selection of possible resolutions.

I have experienced this monitor oddity.  The computer either won't output certain resolutions, or the monitor won't accept them.  Some monitors ive used in the past (as well as televisions) sometimes have a manual scaling option as well for the horizontal/vertical. 

I think it is random and sometimes frustrating.   >:(

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 08:01:34 AM »
yeah, some monitors work fine, some refuse to offer more than 2-3 resolutions.

Offline Front 424

• Enthusiast Member
  • not exactly new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 10:59:50 PM »
yeah, some monitors work fine, some refuse to offer more than 2-3 resolutions.
I was previously using a standard 1080 Widescreen monitor with my Quicksilver, but the available resolutions were always letterbox margined or they they didn't look right.  1920x1080 wasn't available as an option from the computer.  the monitor's control panel allowed a stretched option, which would fill the screen, but never quite looked right because of the stretching and aliasing (or whatever term you want to use there), but some resolutions almost looked decent.

Finally bought a 1920X1200 monitor since that is the max res that the geforce card in the QS outputs.  And funny, it now also allows me the option of outputting in 1080, but it also doesn't look right with the ratio of the screen!  Go figure!  :o  ???  :P
Plus, this new monitor's control panel options from the settings button on the monitor itself has an aspect ratio setting, but in my fiddling with it, I didn't see that it made much of a difference with the available resolutions. 

Also, once or twice I blacked the screen out because a res option that was allegedly usable according to the Monitors control panel wasn't liked by the actual monitor!  I went through some heck trying to get away from the bad resolution setting so I could actually use it without booting into extensions-off mode.  Resetting PRAM didn't work, at least the first time round, which I kinda thought was the thing to do.  I hooked up another monitor that didn't have such issues and reset the resolution from there, in that instance, though I think I found another workable solution at a later date.  As in, it actually let me stay in 640x480 when I rebooted.  Hard to remember, it only happened a few times and I am not excited about going through that again, so I haven't really experimented with it much!
Isn't resetting PRAM supposed to clear some of those control panel settings?

Also, something I mentioned in a previous post.  Had a CRT display many years ago that had manual vert/horizontal stretching, and I also have an HD TV that allows that, which would probably be a nice option for those weird random resolutions that don't quite fit, but apparently everything being 16:9 aspect ratio centric maybe has limited the detailed settings that used to exist?

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 08:33:34 AM »
Full HD Display with a lower resolution in a correct widescren scaling. I would like to get something like 1024 x 640 ...
I installed SwitchRes 2 but all settings other then 1920x1080 are not in the correct aspect ratio, like 1024x768.

1920x1080 has aspect ratio 16:9 and with 1024x768 and many another old resolutions approx 4:3, so to get correct aspect you need black borders to left and right to screen or upper and lower picture cut off. To get best picture you have to choose not scaling with LCD monitor or some LCD monitors you can get good picture in half resolutions 960x540. Also some monitors can scale 640x480 in 4:3 aspect ration quite well, but if it is big monitor it's not look good anyway.

Some 3dfx supported games you might try Macglide: https://sourceforge.net/p/macglide/wiki/Home/
it can give more resolution options to some games, you might try 1280x1024 if you have fast machine enough.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 08:49:48 AM »

I was previously using a standard 1080 Widescreen monitor with my Quicksilver

the problem is that - at least from the perspective of a y2k macintosh computer - full HD or "real" 2k are not really a "standard" at all, the standards are rather UXGA, WSXGA and WUXGA.

which is why it seems that these FHD monitors more often dont allow many resolutions compared to other formats.

Finally bought a 1920X1200 monitor since that is the max res that the geforce card in the QS outputs.

exactly. my choice, too, and for the same reason.

my samsungs allow 8 or 9 resolutions by default and 2 more with switchres. driverless, plug and play, like it should be.

And funny, it now also allows me the option of outputting in 1080

yes. but if it is not the game which causes this trouble, this monitor will probably allow it with the help of switchres.

however, always make sure you are not using a VGA cable from 1992 or the EIDE might not work. :)

Isn't resetting PRAM supposed to clear some of those control panel settings?

to my knowledge no. at least not on G4 towers.

someone correct me if that is wrong.

Had a CRT display

flatpanels at least dont get destroyed if you attempt to run it in a wrong resolution and/or switch the resolution 20 times per day.