Author Topic: Easiest way Clamshell iBook wireless internet?  (Read 1721 times)

Offline mectojic

• Newcomer
Easiest way Clamshell iBook wireless internet?
« on: November 25, 2020, 01:22:37 PM »
I've got an iBook G3 /466MHz running Mac OS 9.2.2.

I was thinking about buying an an Airport card, but after researching, I realised that it can't connect to a modern modem.

I looked online for the original Apple Airport Extreme base stations (to plug into a modern modem via ethernet), but none are affordable. I live in Australia, which makes things harder.

So, I need advice from someone who uses these early iBooks.

What's the very easiest, cheapest way to go wireless in 2020? (Must be OS 9)

P.S. Yes, of course I can just plug into an ethernet cable. But I want my laptop to be a little more – portable :)

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Easiest way Clamshell iBook wireless internet?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 02:10:08 PM »
This or something like it will do the trick. Yes I know it's going to have to hang outside of the clamshell but it will give you access to any modern WiFi network. It's actually pretty small.

You can find an original Airport card but then you have to set your router back to 811.2b and you can't access any other router away from home.
All in all, this is the practical solution.

https://www.amazon.com/Vonets-VAR11N-300-Multi-Functional-Wireless-Portable/dp/B01199OGK0/ref=sr_1_24?dchild=1&keywords=ethernet+wireless+bridge&qid=1606341585&sr=8-24

Offline mectojic

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 03:40:38 PM »
This or something like it will do the trick. Yes I know it's going to have to hang outside of the clamshell but it will give you access to any modern WiFi network. It's actually pretty small.

You can find an original Airport card but then you have to set your router back to 811.2b and you can't access any other router away from home.
All in all, this is the practical solution.

https://www.amazon.com/Vonets-VAR11N-300-Multi-Functional-Wireless-Portable/dp/B01199OGK0/ref=sr_1_24?dchild=1&keywords=ethernet+wireless+bridge&qid=1606341585&sr=8-24

Thanks GaryN.

Can you explain that a little more? Does it plug in through the WAN/LAN slot of the iBook, or the USB, or both?

And once I had one, what do I need to make it work?

Cheers

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 04:06:26 PM »
It plugs into the Ethernet port where you would connect a wired internet connection.
The USB plug supplies power to it and must be connected as well.
Your iBook will "see" it as a wired Ethernet line so setup will be identical.

They do come with instructions…

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 10:07:30 AM »
Yes, WiFi Router/WLAN Bridge/WiFi Repeaters are the way to go for modern Mac OS 9 mobile networking.

But, just for the records: most modern Routers are still able to provide WEP encryption and 811.2b! So, if you need it just for your home, check your modem/DSL Router or ask your provider to activate it. I did it with 3 different recent modems.