Author Topic: Help MIDI serial  (Read 2013 times)

Offline w3sl33

• Enthusiast Member
Help MIDI serial
« on: November 19, 2020, 08:58:17 AM »
I use PT Mix+ in OS9, Opcode 5LX, MOTU Timepiece AV with ADAT bridge, and want to also use 10.3.9 for more plugin choices. I use a Keyspan serial card and everything is smooth and stable. I tried the midi plugins from stealth and also griffin and the motu and opcode is recognized but that is all. Changing the settings on the OS9.2.2 OMS to emulate Timepiece didn't help. Anybody get this to work? I'm out of ideas. I tried it in Jaguar, Tiger and Panther. Thanks, W3s

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Help MIDI serial
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 03:19:36 PM »
Your main problem is that the S5 depends on OMS to function and OMS doesn't run in OSX.
I do exactly what you're trying to do with my MDD. I have never been able to get a smooth transition to make it a work as well as one would like.
Since I do 95% of my work in OS9, I just "got practical" regarding OSX.
I use OSX when I occasionally move a work in progress to Logic in OSX. I have a Delta 1010 ADA that also has one MIDI i/o that works in both OS9 and OSX. Since I use Logic most often to track a VSTi or as you say, some plug that doesn't exist in OS9, realistically, I don't need a full working MIDI system at that time… mostly a controller kbd input to Logic does the trick.
I just run a cable from a S5 MIDI out to the Delta MIDI in. I have a set of S5 Studio Patches I can call from the S5 front panel, one of which routes my main controller kbd to that out and therefore into the Delta and into the system.
I decided on this when, after a lot of hair-pulling I finally realized that's all I really needed.

All that said, there IS a possibility of getting more functionality out of the S5 in OSX. I gave up on it because it uses the fairly rare Stealth MIDI port and driver which I don't have. I have since acquired an internal Keyspan PCI serial to replace my USA 28. I haven't tried it out in OSX yet but… ?

Attached is the "treasure map clue" that started this quest way back when. Feel free to join in the hair-pulling efforts of all who have followed this path.

Offline w3sl33

• Enthusiast Member
Re: Help MIDI serial
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 08:00:41 AM »
Thank you Gary for your good advice. Guess I will keep PT midi OS9 since it works well anyway.
I like the drum adjustments available in 6.4.1 so just rebooting does the trick. Not sure how people got this to work. I was able to see the MOTU box but couldn’t connect them to the synths like other apparently were able to.