Author Topic: Ethernet on my iMac G3 doesn't work when the airport card is inside.  (Read 1613 times)

Offline khaz

• Newcomer
Is it normal?

Hi.

Saturday I managed to connect the old computer via WiFi with an Airport card and a dedicated, barely secured, Vonets VAP11N-300 AP that I just set up. I was connected and browsing the web the whole weekend.

Yesterday, I couldn't see any WiFi network (not even the dozens of WiFi from my neighbours, that I used to see). I tried reconnecting the antenna cable, without success.

I decided to get back to the ethernet cable I was using previously, only to find out it didn't make a connection either! Not even a light on the cable at either end. I tried several cables. It's only when I put the the computer on its back and removed the Airport card that I was able to successfully use my old cable again.

I'm very surprised by that behaviour. Is it normal in the iMac G3? It was one of the first wireless connected computer so maybe they did things differently than how we do them now?

Else, what could be broken? Is it software or maybe the Airport card or something else is defective? It's one of those cheap cards that sell on eBay from China. They look legit?

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Ethernet on my iMac G3 doesn't work when the airport card is inside.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 01:40:55 PM »
Did you remember to re-select the Ethernet port in the TCP/IP Control Panel?

Offline khaz

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 02:38:07 PM »
I didn't know this was a thing. I can see it now, thanks!

My airport card is seeing networks intermittently, I hope it's only a defective card. What's on the other side of the antenna cable? Anyone has pics of the antenna itself? How difficult is it to replace it, if need be?

Offline DrNo7

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 10:55:29 PM »
From what you describe, it really sounds like a defective airport card. To early to tell if it is this particular unit or the clone's design.

OTOH, I had no-name airport cards in my iMac DV and original Powerbook Ti and they both worked flawlessly.

Do not despair,  it should work a lot better with a proper card (as your weekend browsing proved :) ).
Ti 1 GHz / 1 GB / FW SSD / Airport Extreme PCMCIA (triple boot)
Alu 12 1.5GHz / 1.5 GB / 256 GB mSata SSD (dual boot for now)