Author Topic: Quicksilver power supply  (Read 2087 times)

Offline w3sl33

• Enthusiast Member
Quicksilver power supply
« on: November 08, 2020, 07:25:36 PM »
my dual 1ghz bit the dust and the power supply is toast. dang and I just moved it into the quiet room. oh well. ATXG4 is out of pocket anybody know where I can get a new quicksilver power supply fast? Thank you all.

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
Re: Quicksilver power supply
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 08:15:35 PM »
Andy Cuffe ([email protected]) down in Austin Texas for PSU refurb service. Andy even offered members here a discount (previously) so you might check with him. Old eBay link for his services: https://www.ebay.com/itm/REPAIR-SERVICE-Apple-PowerMac-G4-Mirror-Drive-Doors-Power-Supply-MDD/141030901102?hash=item20d618c56e:g:~RsAAMXQysxSAA61 And yes, he does QS PSU’s too.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 11:04:20 PM »
Please don't forget the hair dryer trick. it can get you out of a jam...

Hair Dryer trick works on many bad QS Power supplies (search for it here or google it),

basically, leave the unit plugged in, heat the PS with a hair dryer for about 3 to 5 minutes via the back and obviously don't hold it is one spot too long on "super hot" mode; then try to power on, if you don't unplug the PS from the wall, it will then start on it's own; clients sometimes get 1 to 2 years out of a bad PS in this manner

some info here:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=566.0

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 07:03:06 AM »
I always forget the “hair dryer trick” as I could never get that to work for me. Do please report back if it works for you. Had one QS PSU here that would work (for about a week) if I’d unplug the machine, press the power button a couple of times to bleed any remaining voltage… and then re-attach the power cord and boot.

Hope that either of the above approaches will work for you, at least until you can repair or locate another PSU. ;)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 08:43:35 AM »
try to find a broken machine, ask the seller if the PSU still works and if he would unmount it and only send you the PSU.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Jaumemod

• Newcomer
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 06:22:35 PM »
I have recently and successfully replaced G4 Quicksilver 800MGhz PSU with this: https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B01N7WO6D2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only thing to keep in mind is to connect the purple cable (+5VSB ) of the new psu to the white (+25vsb) of the connector on your board.
Lost FireWire functionality (in my case I  haven't got any firewire stuff)
It deactivates SLEEP mode.