Author Topic: MDD or Quicksilver PT  (Read 8529 times)

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: MDD or Quicksilver PT
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2020, 09:46:34 AM »

How is it with PT MIX+? I dual boot OS9 (mixing) and 10.3.9 (tracking)

1.25 Dual > 1 Dual.

If you dont use ADC you can use a PC ATX PSU with a few mods on both with the info from ATXG4.com

I proposse you to use both machines, using the new machine to add performance to the MIX setup OTB. It could be with Cubase or Protools if you feel more confortable with it. A send to an amplitube or reverb or delay in the new machine (or Logic 8 in Leopard) can be almost real time and give you more options either adding more instruments or more "racks" to the mix
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Andre Solomko

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2020, 04:11:57 PM »
If drillig. is not an option here is an ultra-quiet MDD. You can move ATX out of case

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2020, 04:26:07 PM »
Good mod!

The PSU in that case could be pasive (no fan) for an even quieter experience.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Andre Solomko

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2020, 04:43:43 PM »
Sure. Biggest problem here is inside anyway. You must use few quiet funs in low speed and (!) remove CDROM cad to make any airflow.This is design drawback from APPLE. When they fit in BW case 2 hot CPUs it was overkill from a beginning. Thats why APPLE had to use tractor funs to resolve a prob by the most stupid way
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 06:18:33 PM by Andre Solomko »

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2020, 10:16:25 AM »

It is having boot issues, won't turn on sometimes. Just keeps re-booting every few seconds. Finally got it going but wondering if there are too many cards and such ?
Keyspan serial card, Atto UL3D, Mix farm, Mix core, graphics card.

I would try a simpler setup. No Atto and no Farm to check if it is more stable. That means working with 2 ATA 66 <120GB drives(and a slow one on the ZIP bay). Anyway, with the 5 slots filled the machine sucks more from the PSU. If it is dying, will work worst with all the drive gaps filled+5 PCI.

Look at André setup and try a >450W PSU if you really need the 5 slots filled.

Apple PowerPC PSU were good but not the best. AcBel is tolerable, but Samsung on last MDD is really trash. Almost no Samsung PSU is alive. Most G3 and G4 have more life time than "newest" G5s, that is why it still worth giving new life to those studio machines with a new PSU if you can afford.

I am sure your set up without the ATTO and the FARM will work better with original PSU. If you upgrade the PSU you probably can work with the ATTO and the FARM also.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2020, 10:41:52 AM »
I assume you need the keyspan for midi and a MIX core to begin.(Graphic card also)

To troubleshoot a system totally filled is mathematically more complicated.

Also, the more drives inside the machine + more PCI cards + a modern graphics card means more work to the PSU. It worth testing an older slower graphics card that uses less Watts.

In my DA 466 upgraded to Dual GHz the PSU is the weakest of all the series. It have a Digi 001 + USB card. If I fill it with more cards it is less stable. At least in my case adding Seritek 2se4 + drives + sonnet tempo + drives or a UAD-1. My UAD got damaged, and a Digi 001 in a QS 733 too in my attempt of having all my machines "filled".

I am a LE guy and I feel that Avid almost always wanted you to buy a external racks (MAGMA comes to mind) with own PSU for the to hold all the Core+Farm cards.

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline w3sl33

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2020, 08:01:46 AM »
I assume you need the keyspan for midi and a MIX core to begin.(Graphic card also)

Keyspan midi > opcode 5lx and MTP AV
I saw there were adapters for sale to connect new power supply from ATXG4? I should upgrade the power supply if I could get one of those adapter instead of expansion chassis like a Magma?

Offline Andre Solomko

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2020, 04:34:03 AM »
Well if you can use soldering iron  you can do it. I suggest you buy extension ATX cable and mod it like adapter. Other option is to cut off connector on broken PSU and resolder it to ATX.
°Soldering map should be in net. With your setup you may want 500w ATX and above

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2020, 06:42:45 PM »
I bought one of those mini jack hammer rigs and drilled through a concrete wall... thankfully, the house is still standing!!! ;D

Offline w3sl33

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2020, 10:42:32 AM »
OK. Moved the computer to the other room. Check. Quiet except for zip drives and smpte USD sound to MPC. Quicksilver hosting PT 6.4.1 on Panther and 5.1 os 9.2.2
New MDD is 1.25ghz dual but noisy as was mentioned. Would do Altiverb but not familar mostly use old lexicon for verb and delays but sounds interesting