Author Topic: help! monitor issue  (Read 2828 times)

Offline reddrag0n

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
help! monitor issue
« on: October 16, 2020, 07:21:27 AM »
I have an ADC 22" display, about a week ago everything was working fine. Then i took a card out of my Quicksilver and i had severe issues.

When i plug ADC then power in, i get no response on my mac or the monitor.
No red led on the logicboard, no nothing. Tried Pram reset and cuda reset, nothing.

i disconnect the ADC and leave the mac turned off, i press the power button the mac turns on.
if the mac is off, i connect the ADC only, the mac turns on, tones once, then chimes but nothing on the screen and the front button doesn't light up. after that, i try to press the power button to turn the mac off and nothing happens. only way to turn off the mac is to yank the power plug

did i fry the adc monitor?

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
Re: help! monitor issue
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 10:54:11 AM »
I would look for bent pins on the adc connector and also look inside the port of the graphics card if you can see anything funky.
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 10:57:17 AM »
what happens if you plug the removed card back in?
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 05:25:30 PM »
I have an ADC 22" display, about a week ago everything was working fine. Then i took a card out of my Quicksilver and i had severe issues.

No red led on the logicboard, no nothing. Tried Pram reset and cuda reset, nothing.
99.9% you bent a pin on the ADC plug

Offline reddrag0n

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 11:49:44 PM »
what happens if you plug the removed card back in?
that would have been the usb card, and plugging the card back in does nothing different.

99.9% you bent a pin on the ADC plug
i will check that when i get a chance next.

Offline reddrag0n

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 08:13:25 PM »
well, i checked the adc connector, no bent pins at all, no foreign debris either. checked both the ati 9000 and geforce 2mx i have, no bent pins in those connectors either. starting to sound like one of the power boards or maybe the inverter board on the lcd may have gone boom

Offline reddrag0n

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 11:03:51 PM »
i also tore into the monitor (thanks ifixit) and i was able to see the power board. to me the caps look fine, they are slightly rounded on the top but i have seen new japanese caps that look the same. i didn't see any scarring on the board, and no scorch marks. i will take it apart further and check the inverter board and the display driver board, but i don't think i have to dive that far. so far all of this is telling me the main power delivery board is at fault.

Offline reddrag0n

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 10:57:19 AM »
In case anyone was wondering the outcome of this topic, i replaced all the boards in the LCD and the monitor came back to life but would not display anything on the video card. Found out the ADC on the ATI 9000 went dead, so replaced with a geforce 4 mx and everything came back to life.