Author Topic: Onscreen Keyboard  (Read 3084 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Onscreen Keyboard
« on: October 12, 2020, 04:00:05 AM »
There is something for OS9 and below called Keystrokes. It's an onscreen keyboard. It's no longer made and I can't find a copy anywhere. Is there an alternative that I'm unaware of?

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
Re: Onscreen Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 05:00:27 AM »
There is something for OS9 and below called Keystrokes. It's an onscreen keyboard. It's no longer made and I can't find a copy anywhere. Is there an alternative that I'm unaware of?

Apple-menu -> Key Caps
helps if you need write only some words and you can copy-paste.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 03:50:36 PM »
Yeah, I need a ‘live’ input though. Keystrokes is my ticket but it’s not available anywhere. Wonder if I’ll ever stumble upon a copy.

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 05:59:38 AM »
Yeah, I need a ‘live’ input though. Keystrokes is my ticket but it’s not available anywhere. Wonder if I’ll ever stumble upon a copy.

I only know that:
- Made by AssistiveWare.
- They don't sell it anymore, so is it officially abandonware?
- KeyStrokes 4.1.1 is for Mac OS X 10.4 - 10.6
- I think that version 3 is for OSX too. EDIT: version 3.1 also for OS 9 and 10.1-10.2 and is last version for Mac OS 9.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 06:46:19 AM by teroyk »

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 06:31:39 AM »
here is 15 days trial version:
https://web.archive.org/web/20020806123458/http://www.assistiveware.com/files/KeyStrokes2.2.bin
and here is dictionaries for it, or because these are death links, you find the file names to search somewhere else:
https://web.archive.org/web/20020806123458/http://www.assistiveware.com/download.html#keystrokes2

EDIT: the version 2.2 might be first version that works with Mac OS 9.1 and 9.2
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 06:57:19 AM by teroyk »

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 07:00:42 PM »
I would totally buy this thing if it were for sale. I don't know how to (k) stuff either but if I did I'd be on this.

Offline vectrex

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 07:46:41 PM »
maybe they have an old copy, wouldnt hurt to ask:

https://www.assistiveware.com/legacy-apps

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 09:33:15 PM »
I would totally buy this thing if it were for sale.

Are you sure?

This is from 2004 review in macCompanion mag:
...Believe it or not, this product used to go for $45 USD (Version 2, which runs only on Mac OS
9.2 and earlier [and is still available]), but hardly anybody would buy it. Now it is going for
$250. David wrote, "The price of version 3 is much higher, because over two years of work went
into it and because it is also available through distributors and dealers". Hey, engineering costs
and overhead, right?...

The app was primary for people with disabilities. Charging them a premium price was a dick move and not in the (old) Mac users community spirit, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 09:50:56 PM by ssp3 »
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2020, 11:29:25 PM »
This would solve a problem of mine though, and plus, if a keyboard stops working I’ll also have it to type when I usually can’t. I mean hey, if someone has a k’d version I’d take that too  -afro-

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 07:12:02 AM »
The company got back to me. They won’t sell me a copy. Fuck this, how do we crack it?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 05:01:57 PM »

review on macupdate:

Anonymous
29 July 2005
Version: 3.6
KeyStrokes is the best piece of disability software that I have used in that great care and attention is given to every aspect of it. Most other developers of disability software have an "eh, close enough" attitude, not addressing bugs and letting their products languish as the wheels of progress grind away. On the other hand, no level of imperfection is acceptable to AssistiveWare, as they work diligently to fix bugs and inovate, allowing the disabled to ride the crest of Apple's latest technology through their products. Working seamlessly with Mac OS X, KeyStrokes almost blends with the operating system, feeling like an Apple developed product rather than just a third party application; the end result is an application that feels as natural to the user as a hardware keyboard. On this forum, much fuss has been voiced over KeyStrokes $299 price, but what some people here fail to realize is that comparable products for the PC cost significantly more, and a $299 one time price is not bad for an application that features a multitude of advancements with every update. The developer is in no way making a killing off of any of his applications, no one is getting fleeced - this I can attest to.

5 dollars that he wrote that himself.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2020, 05:18:33 PM »
Ive got to find someone with an old license or something. An onscreen keyboard is vital to my late night OS9’ing.

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2020, 06:37:17 PM »
Fuck this, how do we crack it?
We? Who's "we"? You mean YOU? If you're so desperate, how about getting off the couch and learning some tools?  ;)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2020, 07:27:27 PM »
No thanks, I’ll find a workaround. Too much stuff in the studio to do to fool with it.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2020, 08:03:26 AM »
no wait, a "workaround" is not when you work yourself around work.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2020, 05:27:28 PM »
Im not going to argue with either of you. I meant a workaround as in finding someone with a legit copy or finding another piece of software that works just as well.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2020, 08:54:05 PM »
i find it irritating that there is no serial in SS. do you know about the scheme?

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2020, 10:35:44 PM »
See attached.
I remember reading somewhere a post by some programmer/reverser that the shittier the app is, the more anal they are about their CP.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 02:05:20 AM by ssp3 »