Author Topic: Trying to optimize Os X Classic Environment  (Read 11954 times)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Trying to optimize Os X Classic Environment
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2020, 11:56:18 AM »

not sure if powerbooks already count as "high end" for @MacTron

i have a wonderful and brandnew 1.67 17" here, which i cant use with OS9 - yet - but the day will come! :)
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2020, 11:58:39 AM »
Tiger drivers + Panther Classic is a victory.

and one day we shall find someone who ports the 10.5 desktop remote service and client back to 10.4

this leaves a huge hole in my LAN organisation and i could swear every time i miss it. (i am afraid it requires coregraphics or something)

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2020, 01:29:27 PM »
Guys, isn't this talk getting way off-topic and into OSX territory?
The subforum here is called:
Mac OS 9 Booting on Previously Unsupported Hardware
Emphasis being on OS9 booting, not running OS9 in Classic mode under OSX.
Thanks!
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2020, 03:16:10 PM »
Rickintosh has put this post in the right place. For those that cant boot native, take a spin on best possible Classic.

This is for those that cant help develop a native boot and want a ride.

Previously Unsupported Hardware in some cases has worst support. Only Mac Mini and PM FW800 have "full" support, but ALU machines are behind, even 17 " GHz cant compare to a GHz Ti in OS9
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2020, 03:18:10 PM »
that is not wrong, but from his perspective it is not really an OSX topic either. :)

want real off topic? here´s some

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjxgXDPmg8A

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2020, 04:07:22 PM »
With this thread, along with other fairly recent ones, it seems to me that it's time for a new sub-heading under the section "Classic Mac Software" for discussing games and gaming.

There appears to be a "new generation" of people both on this Forum and others of people … I dunno, bored? with their PS3's and Segas et al who have a renewed interest in old-school gaming on old Macs.

I'm just sayin'……

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2020, 04:38:44 PM »
...it seems to me that it's time for a new sub-heading under the section "Classic Mac Software" for discussing games and gaming.
 >via< a renewed interest in old-school gaming on old Macs.

Perfectly sensible and understandable suggestion.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2020, 05:46:48 AM »
in 2015 the opinion on this was that "games" should better not appear somewhere because it will attract even more off topic (within the gaming OS9 thread)

otoh, nominally there are probably more people interested in games than in pro audio or photoshop.

since a special C.E. subforum wont make much sense i also think he posted in the best possible section.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2020, 05:51:12 AM »
the current status is that when you post a suggestion about structure in the vault board nobody cares.^^

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2020, 11:13:49 AM »
Nope. OS9 is simply made for old machines. Trying to run it on a G4 above 1ghz is a waste of time, there are no drivers, and no people interested in developing them
Running Mac Os 9.2 on G4's above 1 Ghz is where the fun begins. I have MDD's at 1.5 and 1,65 Ghz. Sawtooths at 2.0 Ghz and an eMac 1.5 Gz.
If 1 ghz is not enough to run Mac Os 9, I can't figure out how it can run Os X.

I'm not trying to improve the classic, I'm creating an osx build totally dedicated to using OS9. OSX is the key to compatibility between OS9 and unsupported machines. OSX will be a compatibility layer.[/size]

" Introducing a new way to run OS 9 on supported non-G4 and G5 macs, 100% compatib "

This title is totally false and can lead a lot of confusion. Mac Os Classic Environment is just a Mac Os X Application to run a very limited version of Mac Os 9.2.

Someone stupid edited the title of the post.

Almost everything can be discussed. But insulting is totally banned. Nobody here is stupid, but some statements, of which, this topic is full. I'm not going to spend my time to clarificate them.

Please take it seriously or this topic will be removed.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 06:20:26 PM by DieHard »
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline Rikintosh

• Valued Member
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2020, 12:30:57 PM »
So please remove it, I have seen that this forum is a failure forum that does not have the money to buy a decent workstation, and that is why it is going over an operating system from 20 years ago.

A sick nostalgia takes over this forum. The only purpose for anyone wanting to use an old and outdated operating system is for old games. You treat running OS9 as if the majority wanted to continue to fail using programs and equipment 20 years ago to work. To perform what Fl studio does on an entry laptop does the same or better.

Limited is to use OS9 without any video acceleration, lacking numerous drivers, without SSL, without WPA, without support for ram memory, and think that this is an achievement.

Good afternoon.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 10:05:00 AM by DieHard »

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2020, 05:16:07 PM »

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2020, 07:12:41 PM »
Well, THAT sure as hell went off the rails, didn't it?

Maybe we should take up a collection to buy Mr. Rikentosh one of these…

Offline AtariMan

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2020, 08:38:38 PM »
FL Studio is for children who do not know sheet music and only know how to assemble blocks ... But seriously, a good musician can write good music on anything. People write on the Atari ST, on the Amiga, on the Mac. The G4 is a great machine and Cubase, Logic, Pro Tools work great on it. There is nothing in modern Cubase 10.5 Pro that cannot be done in Cubase VST / 32 5.1.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 03:26:06 PM by AtariMan »

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2020, 09:45:39 AM »
A sick nostalgia takes over this forum. The only purpose for anyone wanting to use an old and outdated operating system is for old games. You treat running OS9 as if the majority wanted to continue to fail using programs and equipment 20 years ago to work.

Somebody of us make real work with Mac OS 9.
Exmples:
1. You have large format printer and want print over 7 m long print. Windows or OSX drivers doesn't allow print that long with that specific printer.
2. You have to open old big files that has to open. Modern OS sometimes has strange problems when they try open bigger files than memory(including bis swap). Some Mac OS 9 programs doesn't even expect whole file should fitt in memory, only that part that needed.
3. You have DSP-card for audio use that doesn't have drivers for modern OS and you like it.
4. You have software that doesn't have any version for modern operating system and emulation doesn't work good enough.

Mac OS 9 is not outdated, say what is newer co-operative (not pre-emptive) Multitasking Operating System?

If you want use OS X Classic environment, you have to understand that it is not 100% compatible. You know it quite fast if you try use old audio plug-in with midi.

If you want you OS X Classic environment it is some times good for Mac OS 9 games especially if it has 3dfx support and you have fast dual G5. You might try that with MacGlide 3dfx-Ati-wrapper.

But I have to say I respect your try, because one of the line to make G5 to more compatible, another line is to make G5 to boot Mac OS 9, but both is hard to make work 100% even 50%, more about that later line: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,5531.0.html
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 06:06:12 PM by DieHard »

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2020, 10:41:24 AM »
teroyk, there's that old saying:
"Do not argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." ;)
He's just a rude noob.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2020, 11:29:40 AM »
nothing wrong with beeing a noob. but he gets told that A != B and then he repeats his statement.

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2020, 09:54:51 PM »
He's just a rude noob.

I try to teach him some basics and not be rude.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2020, 10:28:06 AM »
So please remove it, I have seen that this forum is a failure forum that does not have the money to buy a decent workstation
Failure.... 6000+ members, Maybe a failure in your eyes, sorry to disappoint :(
Wouldn't it be great to spend less money on a workstation and produce the same results with talent as the variable instead of gigahertz ?

Wouldn't it be great to learn how it was done back in the day and apply that knowledge to making a Studio with a Mac Pro 5,1 that can interface with world class outboard gear like vintage samplers and make a track that doesn't sound like everything else ?

And that is why it is going over an operating system from 20 years ago.
Wow, your showing your ignorance here, as you get older, you will realize there are plenty of things older than 20 years that are still worth while, like the performance of my balls

A sick nostalgia takes over this forum. The only purpose for anyone wanting to use an old and outdated operating system is for old games.

For many of us "games" are the least important thing we want to run on OS9... as far as "sick"... guilty as charged

You treat running OS9 as if the majority wanted to continue to fail using programs and equipment 20 years ago to work. To perform what Fl studio does on an entry laptop does the same or better.
Your talking to many of us that have run almost any every DAW made, FL studio is a great product for some, if your a kid with a laptop, then have at it :)
It is one tool of many available

Limited is to use OS9 without any video acceleration, lacking numerous drivers, without SSL, without WPA, without support for ram memory, and think that this is an achievement.
OS 9 would surely suck with that checklist, but many of us have found a way to make OS9 support "RAM" memory

Are you related to our dear friend Chris ?

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2020, 11:33:34 AM »
Not like this isn't right up there in the header?