Classic Mac OS Software (Discussions on Applications) > Virtual Machine & Emulation

Trying to optimize Os X Classic Environment

<< < (10/10)

IIO:
nobody said classic enviroment would be useless.

but most people would agree that OSX PPC is less useful than OS9.

and the guy suggested that classic enviroment would be the best way to run OS9 - which is triple layer nonsense. :)

CE fills a very small gap for OS9-native but OS8-(and therefore emulations)incompatible programs, under the condition that your only computer is a G5.

as soon as you have a modern machine - or a G4 which can boot into 9 - you simply dont need the result of this attempt.

Hopfenholz:
Having spent about 100 hours trying to get any one of three separate 12” PowerBook G4s up and running booting native MacOS 9.2.2 I am interested in a “best in class” Classic solution.

Downloading Jaguar now...

DieHard:

--- Quote ---Having spent about 100 hours trying to get any one of three separate 12” PowerBook G4s up and running booting native MacOS 9.2.2 I am interested in a “best in class” Classic solution.

Downloading Jaguar now...
--- End quote ---

Sorry you have place so much effort into the later G4 PowerBooks, there is no solution that gets them fully working under OS 9; however, we did document which models have varying degrees of success. I believe, as stated, this is still correct...

--- Quote ---In fact, there are only 2 PowerBook G4 Aluminum models with possible full graphics support in Mac OS 9.2.2; the Apple PowerBook G4 867 12" with GeForce4 420 Go (4X AGP) and the PowerBook G4 1.0 Ghz 17" Aluminum with NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go (4X AGP). We know the models with the ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 (4X AGP) will NOT give us full graphics support in Mac OS 9.
--- End quote ---

So, if graphic acceleration under OS9 is needed, these aluminum units would be the only choice.  The Radeon 9600 and GeForce FX Go5200 will both be enigmas until we can get a graphics driver written for either of them... and I doubt we can make that happen.  Also, we have Ethernet and cardbus issues.  Even with these drawbacks, the PowerBook G4 1.0 Ghz 17" Aluminum is still a great alternative for those playing games or creating a DAW environment that does not need to be online.

More info here:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,3912.0.html

Hopfenholz:
Absolutely... I don’t necessarily need acceleration per se, just native res and Thousands of colours or better would be nice.

I’ll do a separate post on my findings with the 3 G4s  - definitely getting closer to my goal!

Cheers,

Joel

drzeissler:
You are talking about the Jazz2 mac-os-port? seriously? that port is ugly stuttering and lagging mess compared to the win95 port. If you want to play Jazz2 like it's supposed to be than take the win95 version, use a PCI or early gfx-card or an early intel-igp (the later ones are broken too) and setup 640x400 at 8bit and choose "hardware-mode". you can tell the difference instantly. The game will switch the monitor to a 70hz mode (my TFT L367 is switched to 720x400/70Hz) and the game will be butterly smooth. I was shocked how bad the mac-os port is. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version