Author Topic: Beige G3 DT SSD troubles? (No fix)  (Read 2506 times)

Offline Lenix

• Newcomer
  • Retro Apple Enthusiast
Beige G3 DT SSD troubles? (No fix)
« on: September 23, 2020, 05:14:05 AM »
Hello,

This is my first post here, so I hope I get this right. I recently bought a Power Macintosh G3 Beige Desktop (rev1, 128mb ram, 266mhz g3), and I've been trying to install a Sandisk 120GB SSD, but I keep having troubles. Firstly, I had troubles with the jumpers (though that problem has been fixed), but now I can't get the system to boot to the SSD at all (CDs work fine and setup reads the drive and installs mac os 8.5 and 9, it just won't boot). I've tried switching the connector the SSD was on, changing jumpers, and using multiple different OS CDs, but to no avail, I just get a floppy disk icon at boot. In my searches in this forum, I found a post saying that the system won't boot to a partition that's bigger than 8GB, but the old hard drive will boot just fine (120GB IDE HDD, partitioned into two 55gb partitions). I'm at my wit's end to what could be the issue, so if anyone could help me with this that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

edit: just adding here that my adapter is a Startech IDE to SATA
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 07:02:20 PM by Lenix »

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
Re: Beige G3 DT SSD troubles? / Best SATA PCI card?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 08:22:54 PM »
format the SSD in OSX and be sure to include the OS9 drivers checkbox when you do it. I have never gotten an SSD to boot in OS9 without doing this first.
got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind

Offline Lenix

• Newcomer
  • Retro Apple Enthusiast
Re: Beige G3 DT SSD troubles? / Best SATA PCI card?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 04:25:30 AM »
I'll try that when I get a chance, thanks! I was going to say I did that already (on my iBook G4 and OSX 10.4), but now that I think about it I think I just formatted it in OSX, then ended up initializing it again in the Mac OS 9 setup.

Offline Lenix

• Newcomer
  • Retro Apple Enthusiast
Re: Beige G3 DT SSD troubles? (No fix)
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 07:03:25 PM »
Just updating this thread. I've given up after 3 days and $40 in adapters, I just decided a $20 IDE hard drive would be so much easier.