Author Topic: Classilla does not save any changes  (Read 115 times)

Offline PowerFinnrich

• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Classilla does not save any changes
« on: September 16, 2020, 04:52:53 AM »
Hello all,

I have a problem since I installed classilla on my Power Macintosh 9600/350 with Mac OS 9.2:

Classilla doesn't save changes.
For example, if I set up the Classilla E-Mail client and close Classilla after that, then open it again and want to check my e-mails - I have to do the whole setup again. The preferences, received/send messages, everything is gone... The same thing is for dialogue boxes,  ("Are you sure you want to go from an unencrypted to an encrypted page?" etc.) which I have to click every time I open the program again.
But for some reason it does save things like bookmarks or visited pages.
Did I do something wrong or does someone know how to fix it?
Browsing this forum with my PowerMacintosh 9600/350 with OS 9.2.2!

Offline ovalking

• Veteran Member (100+ Posts)
  • new to the forums
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Classilla does not save any changes
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 11:53:31 AM »
I've installed Classilla on several Macs but never encountered this issue.

It sounds like some of the preferences files are not being saved for some strange reason.

Classilla is annoying and confusing with its prefs files and profiles. For some reason they are stored in Documents/Mozilla/Profiles/<your name>/<random name>/

Check them to see the modification dates and if any are locked. I'm expecting your history.dat and bookmarks.html files to be ok, but prefs.js for e.g. might not be.

Try creating another profile.
If this has the same problem try creating one stored on another drive.

If you have another machine / OS, try that, then look for clues in any differences.

Offline PowerFinnrich

• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 10:43:24 AM »
Hello and thank you for your help!

Today I could solve that issue. And no, I do only have this Classic machine.
The clue was, when I first installed classilla, I was asked by Classilla, if I want to convert the old netscape profile into classilla, and clicked yes.
So it turned out that "prefs.js" was a netscape communicator document and I think that classilla couldn't write in this document for that reason.
I created a new profile and everything works now, even the checkboxes which where really annoying while browsing! Thank you very much!

Now my Classic PPC turns out to be a more and more useful machine, even today!
Browsing this forum with my PowerMacintosh 9600/350 with OS 9.2.2!

Offline Mat

• Gold Member (200+ Posts)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 01:13:07 PM »
Interresting finding!

Would be cool, if you reprot this to Cameron, so he can see there are still Classilla users out there and caring about the real usability.