Author Topic: Stop uploading giant screenshots!  (Read 179 times)

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member (500+ Posts)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Stop uploading giant screenshots!
« on: September 12, 2020, 02:38:39 PM »
This is one of those things that seems to be uncurable.
People use Command-Shift-3 and upload what is almost always a 3000-plus pixel X 4000-plus pixel screenshot to illustrate something.
Trouble is, that gets converted to a JPG and if you dare to click on it, you find yourself:

1) Waiting forever as the server downloads it.
2) Now find yourself looking a a giant picture 4 times the size of your screen that you can't even see all at once.

SocMed platforms like F-Book automatically downsize these to viewable dimensions. Our Forum server does not.
I don't even know if the Forum software has that capability. I suspect it doesn't or somebody would have fixed it long ago. (??)

I could suggest that people first save their screenshots as JPEG and resize them to smaller dimensions before uploading. I could also just wish for peace in the world…
If nothing else, using Command-Shift-4 and confining the pic to the section of interest instead of all of the screen would at least partially solve this.

Offline IIO

• just a number
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
Re: Stop uploading giant screenshots!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 03:54:56 PM »
i browsing on a laptop and sometimes i have to perform a forensic search in order to find the small section of these mega-images where the actual information is.
insert arbitrary signature here

Online Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1038
Re: Stop uploading giant screenshots!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 04:58:47 AM »
This is Pinned http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,835.0.html

There you get how to upload large pictures
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4