Author Topic: Digidesign Sound Designer II  (Read 24188 times)

Offline ivanshpak

• Enthusiast Member
Re: Digidesign Sound Designer II
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2023, 02:31:16 PM »
It's one thing to collect and save, it's another thing to work on these systems, for me it's a kind of "setting", which has its own limitations that turn into advantages.

For example, I have an 8100 with Audiomedia ii and Lexicon NuVerb, the system works well and I know a huge number of very experienced and elderly sound engineers who have such a configuration on a par with Lexicon 480 or 300, on the other hand I want to get rid of 8100 and work all the same, in one machine (2003 MDD), via the NuBus to PCI chassis

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2023, 05:28:08 PM »
When I say information is hard to find, it's stuff like this:
I have different Digidesign cards. there's usually no name on them, only "assy Nr". those numbers return nothing when you search them on the internet. And where there is a name , it returns nothing either. Sound Accelerator, Sound Accelerator II, Sound Accelerator II/2, you'll have to work hard to positively identify them. Want info on the "Pro I/O"? good luck!. Every step of the way is arduous research. There's no database of ancient Digi hardware. The cards I especially had trouble with are in this thread http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=6650.new;topicseen#new

Having recently installed the 442 interface and "442 card" in my Quadra 700, I realised I had the core of the Original Pro Tools. That made me curious to live what would have been the experience of using that pioneer DAW. This is for kicks: I certainly don't expect to do any bread-and-butter work on this setup, but I want to see what was it like. I see no interest in going for the "last possible version". But I may want to get re-acquainted with SDII, which I used a lot in the past.

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2023, 03:22:37 AM »
All good all easy,

Explains at least why they are so rare and pricey, people ripped them open plundered them and tossed the rest in the dumpster.
So we learned something today kids.
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2023, 05:44:14 AM »
The picture from preterhuman is a sound accelerator II. As stated a few posts back, it's written on the card. I have one, it works well in the Quadra with SDII with my Pro I/O card, which I like because of its wery wide range LED meter. And this is just another installment of the lack of official information saga about Digi hardware. I have one for you: can you find any official info about the function and use of the quarter-inch jacks on the Sound Accelerator II and the Audiomedia 1 cards?

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2023, 08:42:27 AM »
The forum did not crash, I had to "prune" 3 posts.  It would be great if among this small community (of like minded people), we can keep it civil.

You guys are the best, so let's reflect that in the posts, a lot of people count on this place for info, not drama :)

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2023, 12:17:08 PM »
Thanks!
This stuff shouldn't have been here in the first place - it hardly applies to OS9, hence it's way off-topic.
My apologies.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline robespierre

• Veteran Member
  • malfrat des logiciels
« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2023, 01:47:50 PM »
A little hard to follow the discussion with parts of it missing, but I guess it was about people who take the DACs out of Digidesign 442s and "DAT I/O"s and sell them?

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2023, 04:10:44 PM »
I have a...Lexicon NuVerb...via the NuBus to PCI chassis

i am so looking for a nuverb, i only have the tdm adapter for one. its my nemesis. i keep missing out on it :D

do you have the second wave you mentioned? talked to bolle, its gonna be impossible to clone them so take good care of it
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2023, 05:23:55 AM »
I have now my historic Sound Tools (and Pro Tools) setup working, and first thing that strikes me is: THE NOISE!!! The friggin' , godawful mighty noise from the computer, whirring hard disks... I annoyed me at the time, and it is still mighty insupportable.
Can't see how anyone can do serious audio work amidst that racket. If you can afford a machine room, good for you!

I unearthed my last bit of the original Sound Tools setup: the DAT I/O. Heaviest little audio box you can find.
I also found ancient brochures for Sound Tools, Deck and Pro Tools. Finally a printed appearance of the Pro I/O in the Pro Tools brochure.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 06:02:40 AM by P.O. »

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2023, 06:49:41 AM »
I have now my historic Sound Tools (and Pro Tools) setup working, and first thing that strikes me is: THE NOISE!!! The friggin' , godawful mighty noise from the computer, whirring hard disks... I annoyed me at the time, and it is still mighty insupportable.
Can't see how anyone can do serious audio work amidst that racket. If you can afford a machine room, good for you!

I unearthed my last bit of the original Sound Tools setup: the DAT I/O. Heaviest little audio box you can find.
I also found ancient brochures for Sound Tools, Deck and Pro Tools. Finally a printed appearance of the Pro I/O in the Pro Tools brochure.

"machine room" and kvms are the only way.. for scsis, the system hdd can be replaced with something quiet

the funny part is the cool ancient shots with the mac along the mixing spot

if i can come up with anything to trade you for that nuverb let me know, id use it as my main production verb if i ever get my hand at it :D

PTSoft v1.1.5 (1992)
Apple Macintosh IIfx (1991)
Radius Color Display
Apple Macintosh Video Display Card Radius
Pro Tools 442 Core System (442 Audio Card, 442 IO Audio Interface)
Pro Tools 4-track Expansion Kit (1992) x3
Pro Tools System Accelerator (SysAxe) (Grey Matter Response) (1992)
ProStore - Optical 650 MB or 1GB
ProStore - High Capacity Hard Disk Drive (650 MB)
ProStore - 1 Gigabyte Hard Drive
JLCooper CS10 Control Station (w/replaced master level
Kensington Macintosh II Stand and Extension Cables
Sony Trinitron KV-1380R

did i miss something?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 07:14:41 AM by smilesdavis »

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2023, 07:32:30 AM »
You did miss something: I have no NuVerb...

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2023, 07:56:03 AM »
I have an 8100 with Audiomedia ii and Lexicon NuVerb

indeed it was late and i mixed you up, so sorry, my bad.

i just stumbled across an ancient google groups posting thats also related to nubus (im getting a 3rd expansion rack donation next week, its full, fingers crossed theres nuverbs in there, i need some luck :D)

>Hi, anyone know if it is possible to run Protools 5 on a Powermac 8100 with a
Nubus Project card and 882 I/O interface?<
In an officially approved Digidesign manner, NO. In a "don't ask ANY
questions of Digidesign because it's unsupported" and in a "they know about it
and are kinda willing to overlook the minor hacking of their DAE/DigiInit which
is technically a violation of your software agreement" way yes, but you
probably need a Newertech G3 card in your 8100 - it's too slow and Sonnet card
are incompatible.

You will have to work out any tech problems yourself and there are problems
with some plug-ins (although I haven't had any problems). The special
DAE/DigiInit combination (so-called "Nubus Care Package") was slightly modified
by a longtime and respected Digi user but it's a "you must _never_ ask Digi for
support" thing. They're overlooking it, you have to buy your V.5 upgrade with
no guarantees, and it's technically hacking their software which is problematic
for a software developer as you might imagine.

BTW Protools v 5.1 will not work; I understand that in that version they
removed all nubus related code, which had to happen at some point.

anyone got those? is it a simple regedit? 8100 with G3 newer upgrade i finally found, will try to hook up expansion chassis in the free nubus middle slot.

The last version of PT software that had nubus code support is Version 5.01, but the DAE And Digi init were not upgraded by Digi, but the "Nubus posse" on DAW MAC had a little "Nubus care kit" with modified DAE/DSI that would enable the V5 software.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 11:50:38 AM by smilesdavis »

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2023, 12:17:22 PM »
A1: yes
A2: no
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2023, 12:30:47 PM »
A1: yes
A2: no

too abstract for me, what do you mean?

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2023, 01:21:06 PM »
That means he's taking NO CHANCES...

Offline robespierre

• Veteran Member
  • malfrat des logiciels
« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2023, 01:22:47 PM »
Your prior post contained two questions ("Q1" & "Q2") and those were his answers.
It probably involves code patches to Gestalt / hardware check routines at the very least

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2023, 03:20:01 PM »
im currently looking through the mailing list that published those nubus patched dae/dsi.. maybe ill find something

Offline ivanshpak

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2023, 07:37:44 AM »

i am so looking for a nuverb, i only have the tdm adapter for one. its my nemesis. i keep missing out on it :D

do you have the second wave you mentioned? talked to bolle, its gonna be impossible to clone them so take good care of it

Yes, and you can’t even imagine what efforts it took to get it, I understand all the exclusivity of this device, but everything works.

I want to tell you that NuVerb is worth finding and using.

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2023, 11:39:29 AM »

Yes, and you can’t even imagine what efforts it took to get it, I understand all the exclusivity of this device, but everything works.

do you use it on a standalone 7100? ive read that its "almost" the only way to get it to work

fingers crossed one is in the next expansion chassis im gonna get, its full, lets hope its not another 6 samplecell ii and a nuverb this time :)

may i ask you how to get it going properly if i come across one?

Offline ivanshpak

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2023, 03:20:07 PM »

do you use it on a standalone 7100? ive read that its "almost" the only way to get it to work

fingers crossed one is in the next expansion chassis im gonna get, its full, lets hope its not another 6 samplecell ii and a nuverb this time :)

may i ask you how to get it going properly if i come across one?

Any machine with NuBus will do, I use SoftwareFPU, for machines with PowerPC processors, on OS8.6

If we are talking about PCI machines, then we need a Second Wave chassis (with extension for chassis) and also a Software FPU utility, I can upload the extensions for NuVerb themselves here