Author Topic: Digidesign Sound Designer II  (Read 24210 times)

Offline rvense

• Veteran Member
  • Lombard & son
Re: Digidesign Sound Designer II
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2020, 10:58:59 PM »
If you're on later systems I think there are plenty of DAE/TDM compatible two-track editors. BIAS Peak comes to mind.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2020, 12:04:09 AM »
I tried Peak and... I don’t know, I didn’t mesh with it well. I guess I need to try it again. Hmm speaking of that, does anyone know if SDII lets you blend samples? It’s a 2trk editor, yes, but maybe sample blending is possible somehow.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2020, 12:04:07 PM »
I assume all of these came on floppy disks. Is there any away to find them now? Except for a few mentions, there doesn't seem to be much information online.

we could upload working versions, but the number of active new users for 1990 stuff is below 20 i think.

actually i hardly know anyone who was using sounddesigner or premiere audio plug-ins after VST and TDM came out.

insert arbitrary signature here

Offline rvense

• Veteran Member
  • Lombard & son
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2020, 11:16:56 PM »
I'm currently working with a SampleCell + Audiomedia II based setup in a Quadra 700.

I do use Sound Designer for for some operations, but I have to say I'm not really a big fan of its interface. D-Sound Pro 3.5.1 works better for editing (trimming etc. - it also has DC removal), but it doesn't have the plug-ins. The plug-ins I have for SDII aren't extremely interesting, though, but I don't have any plug-ins at all in Pro Tools 3.4, so I keep it around if I ever need a compressor or gate.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2020, 12:29:08 AM »
i guess if you are looking to buy a legit license for an audiosuite compressor today you will be left with mcdsp, everything else is expired.

Offline ght4361

• Valued Member
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2020, 08:01:07 AM »
Hmm speaking of that, does anyone know if SDII lets you blend samples? It’s a 2trk editor, yes, but maybe sample blending is possible somehow.
According to the manual that ssp3 linked above, it appears that it can mix up to four soundfiles each with its own volume fader, although I am not sure if you can preview the result before rendering the new file.
http://www.atarimania.com/utility-atari-st-sound-tools_s17566.html

Any other information about SDII plugins is welcome.

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2022, 01:23:01 AM »
you know there should be a google sheets of all early plugins and whats the hardware requirement to play with them

i would love to play with some jupiter systems especially because its the worlds first multiband..

this would give everyone a nice overview of history
and why certain things will remain history
or best case incite people to find ways to port them back..

from a programmers perspective reversing old code to work in 64bit this would be a level 1-100 playlist
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2022, 04:54:27 AM »
you know there should be a google sheets of all early plugins and whats the hardware requirement to play with them

i will reactivate vst-mac.info some day, limit it to OS9, add all other plug-in types, and add some MacOS9Lives-originated information about QS and MDD hardware.

from a programmers perspective reversing old code to work in 64bit this would be a level 1-100 playlist

i honestly dont think that there is something which doesnt exist today (in the sense of replacing it with something even better) except maybe neuronauts voice remover from sonicworx, infinity, the pluggo runtime and MacOS9 itself.

the well acclaimed MCDSP compressor for example was quite interesting 1997, but today there are literally 100+ better freeware compressors and 5 of them also run as AAX.

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2022, 07:50:50 AM »
why limit it. make it up until os9 because the compatibilities are interwoven.

TDM Nubus, TDM PCI, VST, RTAS, AS
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2022, 07:51:54 AM »
its ok if you think so i know people who make grammies with os9 exclusive software.

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2022, 12:08:43 AM »
I assume all of these came on floppy disks. Is there any away to find them now? Except for a few mentions, there doesn't seem to be much information online.

we could upload working versions, but the number of active new users for 1990 stuff is below 20 i think.

actually i hardly know anyone who was using sounddesigner or premiere audio plug-ins after VST and TDM came out.

please upload all sdii plugins you got mate
including the flux images of the floppies with greaseweazle

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2022, 01:15:29 PM »
its ok if you think so i know people who make grammies with os9 exclusive software.

yes, and thousands who dont.

you have to provide object- and scene-based immersive audio formats to hollywood today and OS9 machines are not even fast enough for that kind of stuff, not to speak of available software options.

for sounddesigner you have to downgrade to a 400MHz machine and the realtime audio is almost gone. :)

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2022, 01:04:00 AM »
you can still print objects to SDII

i mean lets first make a total list of SDII only plugins then discuss how economical the process might be

Jupiter Systems (later Antares) - MDT Multiband Dynamics Tool (Dynamics Processing Plug-In)
Jupiter Systems (later Antares) - JVP Jupiter Voice Processor
Jupiter Systems (later Antares) - SST Spectral Shaping Tool
APB Tools - EM-1 v1.11
Waves (Waveshell 1.1)  - Q1 C1 S1 L1 PAZ DLR IDR REQ 2.5 RComp 2.3
Qsound - QXpander
Digidesign, Inc. - DINR Digidesign Intelligent Noise Reduction
Crystal River Engineering, Inc. - Protron AudioReality Plug-In v1.0 (1995)
Group Normalize Drag In ?
Hum Removal?
Power Transformer?
Sample Rates?
VoicePro 2.3, 2.46

anybody can say if those were exclusive to SDII? anything to add? ScreenShots?

no - plugin - will - be - forgotten
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 02:26:22 AM by smilesdavis »

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2022, 01:52:16 AM »
i´ve made a screenshot of my archives long ago after your PM but i have yet to copy the files off the CDs.

as far i would answer this question there is nothing for SDII which would not also exist for later platforms.

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2022, 01:59:27 AM »
power transformer
voicepro

i cant even find any reference to anywhere

proton i was able to find the manual and the auth disk. i will flux it soon as i get the gw

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2022, 02:04:03 AM »
(posting from macos9 now because there is the screenshot)

right there is nowhere a list to find - and there wasnt one in 1999 when i started with this kind of thing.

it is basically those you mentioned, plus DUY, then there is a bridge for ensoniq paris, and deep in my memory there is a rumor about one more thing which i dont have and which i am not able to name.

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2022, 02:09:03 AM »
to me thats the most interesting list ive read in ages and to have those would mean a ton to me honestly

it appears the protron ive bought is a tdm only version and there is a separate one for sdii

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2022, 03:26:08 AM »
as you can see, proton is not in my collection and since i never had an own SD system i can not even tell you it if exists.

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2022, 10:20:19 PM »
well at least my copy only mentions tdm. there must be a separate sdii version. cant wait for you to up that cd.

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2022, 12:20:38 AM »
(posting from macos9 now because there is the screenshot)

right there is nowhere a list to find - and there wasnt one in 1999 when i started with this kind of thing.

it is basically those you mentioned, plus DUY, then there is a bridge for ensoniq paris, and deep in my memory there is a rumor about one more thing which i dont have and which i am not able to name.

please s h a r e :)