Author Topic: Digidesign Sound Designer II  (Read 24193 times)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Digidesign Sound Designer II
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2020, 01:11:09 PM »
maybe they didnt do it? because before you have the need to do sounddesign to digital audio you first need to have digital audio. :)

the soundtools package was one of the first 4-channel recording tools of all times and it was originally meant to be an editor for the emu samplers.

which later alchemy did much better (and it even supported the soundtools interface)

in 1990 most of us did "sounddesign" using outboard gear and casette tapes.

and of course you can do crossfades with an analog mixer, too, just not as exact as with a digital ramp.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 01:52:32 PM by IIO »
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2020, 12:28:38 AM »
But then again, how did they do sound design back then? Given the lack of automation or any other envelope tool..
That's a typical mistake the newcomers to the OS7-9 world make - they're approaching the 25+ years old software with today's thinking. What envelope? You chop up your sounds in SDII, transfer them back to hardware sampler and do your ADSR there. Maybe in Sample Cell too, but I haven't used that thing.
SDII started as sample editor for samplers of that era, but quickly evolved into 2 track editor and finished CD assembly app. Especially when it became able to handle a 24 bit files. Back then it was a "low cost" alternative to the full blown Sonic Solutions system.
There are thousands of CD titles out there that were made with SDII, especially in classical music world. Radio programming is another area where SDII got used a lot.
Record your material, drop markers on the fly, play it back, use very well implemented scrub tool, find your edit points, adjust markers, define your regions. Then create a new playlist, drop in your regions, adjust fades and region gain - DONE! Quick and efficient. Try that with Peak ..

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=9994

P.S. I have a suspicion that SDII is not a right tool for you. You'll be better off with Peak 2.5.x if using OS9, or stay in OSX and choose whatever modern tool you want.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 12:57:16 AM by ssp3 »
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline ght4361

• Valued Member
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2020, 02:04:50 AM »
Yes, I should have thought about this better.

Still, I would like to try setting up a system and using it for experimentation. That means that I would have to find an Audiomedia II card, the compatible plugins to add the various DSP functions and a Nubus Macintosh to put it all together.

I understand this is going to take some time. Finding a suitable Macintosh would be the first step.

Online rvense

• Veteran Member
  • Lombard & son
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2020, 09:11:37 AM »
Turbosynth can apply arbitrarily complex envelopes to audio files.

Offline daddyjeff

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2020, 11:12:33 AM »
Turbosynth can apply arbitrarily complex envelopes to audio files.

Right, and anything like metasynth 2.6 does just as much as that and generates audio from wavetable synthesis, not to mention that anything you draw with the brush can do wonderful things for your modern elektron sampler. without using any plugin, although its internal algorithms are unique and generous for designing layered sounds with wav audio format.  -afro-

Offline daddyjeff

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2020, 11:17:25 AM »
i3 DSP Quatro 1.5 for mac os9 is another great editing beast for pre-built samples.

I have the Quattro DSP for osX panther with real-time resampling for virtual vst instruments and it's comfortable to design things with it.

Does anyone have the i3 DSP Quattro 1.2 for mac os9?   :o

http://yahoo.aleado.com/lot?auctionID=s545200895

Offline calzone

• Newcomer
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2020, 01:23:11 PM »
 Stefano still authorizes OS 9 licenses and offers a download if you purchase the new version of DSP Quattro or have an existing license.  -afro-

Offline daddyjeff

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2020, 02:52:34 PM »
Stefano still authorizes OS 9 licenses and offers a download if you purchase the new version of DSP Quattro or have an existing license.  -afro-

Thanks for reporting, I appreciate your comment.

I see absurd in my case to pay so much money for an updated version for a modern MAC that I will never have.

my only MAC is a G4 MDD with 1.25 CPU for Panther and oS9.2, for podcast and music production.

I have a reduced version of i3 DSP Quattro 1.5 that comes with a CD room of an old edition of computer music that was distributed free with the monthly magazine at the beginning of this century, it is fully functional with this I sample my virtual instruments, and do great things, but I don't have anything like it for mac os9.2.

Was there a fully functional demo version of i3 DSP quattro for mac os9?

Greetings

Offline macarone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2020, 03:26:53 PM »
>Does anyone have the i3 DSP Quattro 1.2 for mac os9? 

I found the attached. It is untested by me.

If it is the wrong file, or does not work, please advise me, and I will remove.

Offline daddyjeff

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2020, 08:08:01 PM »
>Does anyone have the i3 DSP Quattro 1.2 for mac os9? 

I found the attached. It is untested by me.

If it is the wrong file, or does not work, please advise me, and I will remove.

Yes, this is it, but I don't know how to activate it in its full version

Thanks for such a great contribution, this is not forgotten, it is a great tool, I have been behind it for years.

a thousand thanks to you ¨macarone¨.  -afro- ;D

Offline ght4361

• Valued Member
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2020, 03:20:09 AM »
I have been very busy the past week and couldn't find time to post.

The original Sound Tools package ran on a Macintosh IIfx, based on the Sound on Sound article I posted above. The lastest and most powerful Macintosh with Nubus slots is the 7100/80. Considering that Audiomedia II is needed to use plugins, the choices are limited between the models released in this timeframe.

Except for cost, is there any reason not to get the fastest system possible? What would be the most sensible setup to get Sound Designer II up and running?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2020, 11:33:43 AM »
if i would have to guess i would think that the later systems are cheaper to get.

Online rvense

• Veteran Member
  • Lombard & son
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2020, 08:11:37 AM »
The big difference there is that the PowerMac is, well, a PowerMac. So make sure the software is available as a fat binary, if it's only for 68k a fast Quadra might be faster.

Offline ght4361

• Valued Member
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2020, 01:40:54 PM »
I have found various reports (including this thread) that SDII runs up to OS 9, albeit not officially. I think that a version of System 7 would be the ideal choice for Audiomedia II.

Offline ght4361

• Valued Member
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2020, 02:37:57 AM »
A small update to the thread.

After searching a bit on Ebay, I found that the early PowerPc Macs are indeed cheaper to get than the later 68k based ones.

So, regarding plugins. Any information about what was compatible with SDII?

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2020, 06:49:22 AM »
A handful of early Waves, some from Digi, DUY, JVP, SST and a few others whose names I don't remember. About 15 +/- in total. Those plugins were in specific SDII format. As soon as Digi switched to PCI hardware, developers stopped developing for it, so choices are limited.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Online rvense

• Veteran Member
  • Lombard & son
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2020, 12:31:55 PM »
I've got compressors and gates, but are there any time/pitch effects? A nice chorus or filtered delay, perhaps? Maybe a reverb?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2020, 09:14:41 PM »
i have duy, antares, digi declicker, em 1 , hum removal, power transformer, waves, qxpander, voice pro, and the paris adapter and "build overview".

the latter one shows very well what is the difference between audio editing in 1990 and 2000 - today. :)

Offline ght4361

• Valued Member
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2020, 02:33:15 AM »
A handful of early Waves, some from Digi, DUY, JVP, SST and a few others whose names I don't remember. About 15 +/- in total. Those plugins were in specific SDII format. As soon as Digi switched to PCI hardware, developers stopped developing for it, so choices are limited.

i have duy, antares, digi declicker, em 1 , hum removal, power transformer, waves, qxpander, voice pro, and the paris adapter and "build overview".

the latter one shows very well what is the difference between audio editing in 1990 and 2000 - today. :)

I assume all of these came on floppy disks. Is there any away to find them now? Except for a few mentions, there doesn't seem to be much information online.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2020, 10:37:53 PM »
I wish I could have SDII on my Mix rigs but I don’t think it’s possible. SDII requires either the AM card or some PTII/Project hardware. I successfully had it working on a 9600 with a Project card at one time, and it was the Project card alone with an 888/24. As far as I know the Mix cards don’t play well when mixing them with older Project and Disk I/O cards.

I guess the best I can do is use PT for editing. Would be very convenient to have it working on a Mix rig though, a simple 2trk editor instead of a full blown DAW.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 12:02:43 AM by Syntho »