Author Topic: looking for earlier (1994 or older) Studio Vision / Audio Vision software  (Read 6401 times)

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Re: looking for earlier (1994 or older) Studio Vision / Audio Vision software
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2020, 05:01:12 AM »
so regarding that digital in and out..  i've never really used that.  what capabilities would that allow?  wondering if that might work maybe with say... and ADAT unit or something..  something that might enable more than 2 in / 2 out RCA.  I've seen gear over the years that has this but never explored it further.  Might have me looking for other possible hardware that could talk to the card that way vs unbalanced RCAs

Offline rvense

• Veteran Member
  • Lombard & son
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2020, 11:26:11 AM »
I think it's just a digital version of what's on the analogue jacks. The card only supports two channels of i/o as far as I remember. I have one, but haven't used it much.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2020, 02:28:17 PM »
well, you could attach an external 24 bit DAC and/or ADC to it, or a second computer with an AM II or AM III.

i´ve never used mine. for what? everything else was analog or 16 bits.

hehe, i just had to think of these so called "24 bit" converter card from lucid audio.

that was nubus already i think, but when you had a closer look at it it required the system 7 soundmanager and wouldnt work with anything else, so you could still only record and replay 16 bit files. my dealer recommended the AM III instead, it at least did what it says.^^
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline macarone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2020, 06:49:29 AM »
>hehe, i just had to think of these so called "24 bit" converter card from lucid audio.

Wow that is so long ago! I may have some of my facts mixed up, but I remember buying a Nubus Lucid Audio card for the purpose of transfering Sony Walkman DAT tapes to the computer. The Lucid Audio card required a Lucid driver, and they claimed it was Asio compliant. I believe I was using Bias Peak, and even though the DAT was only 16 bit, I was trying to transfer directly to  a 24 bit file which Peak allows and recommends for editing.

But the Lucid driver was NOT Asio compliant, and did NOT allow this.  I  contacted Lucid to request an updated driver, and they said they would NOT be making an update, and would soon discontinue selling the card. So, the file had to be transferred in real time, and then you needed to spend the time and have the hard drive space to convert the 16 bit file to 24 bits.

That's when I discovered the joy of "Audio capable" SCSI DAT drives using DatAudio 0.5.

I think I still have the Nubus card in an 840AV. Can't check because Covid doesn't permit me to go back home.
I also think I still have an extra DAT faceplate made especially for the 840AV.

Thanks for the memories! Until you mentioned Lucid, I couldn't even recall their name.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2020, 03:39:41 AM »
maybe later ones? the nubus 24-something for sure not. yeah it was working with deck, cubase audio, opecode, a few others.

i have more problems to remember specs of hardware units. for example i keep thinking EMU VI / EMU darwin would have been 24 bit recording already. i still have 2 units of EMU E-64 but it is so long ago that i actually used them...
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2020, 01:10:25 AM »
Ok took overcoming some setbacks and i'm not 100% ready to close it up (waiting on ram) but i got my first hello world working with AudioMedia II card in Quadra 650..   however digital performer is 1996..  1.7.1 is the oldest i could find.  Does anyone know

I've also relaxed the dates some and made the appocalypse in late 1995.. so i'm looking at 1995 DAW or older.. 

the most exciting thing of course is that i see that DP:

1. saw my serial midi interface (fastlane)
2. recorded and played back MIDI
3. recorded audio coming in
4. played back audio and midi

The post processing was a bit sluggish after recording, but i'm only running on 24mb of ram..  and not using an external SCSI drive.. it's recording to the system drive so i think with more memory and a secondary drive the workflow will be better

So i think next it's going to be cubase 2.x which is 1994..  going to be wild working on monochrome but that's part of the journey :)   maybe there are color options and the screenshots were just taken from a monochrome mac. 

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2023, 01:50:56 AM »
Lucid Technologies NB24 - NuBus Digital Audio I/O Card (Jan, 1997-1999, discontinued by 2000, latest drivers were available via ftp://ftp.halcyon.com/pub/users/lucid/Software/)

Professional digital only I/O for the Macintosh
Don't throw away that Mac!
The NB24 was designed to help you get the most from the Mac you already own. So you can continue to use
an older NuBus Mac as a digital audio workstation. No other product can revitalize a NuBus Mac in this
way.
Key features of the NB24
S/PDIF digital I/O
48kHz, 44.1kHz, 32kHz sample rates, with 22.05kHz to 48kHz output ranges.
Use with Lucid ADA1000 or any outboard A/D-D/A converter, including DAT machines and CD
players
On board 24-bit DSP (Digital Signal Processor)
Works with most NuBus Macs
The Lucid NB24 provides the ability to bring high quality digital signals into the computer where it can be
edited and processed by your favorite software. No longer limited to low bit rates or resolutions, The Lucid
Technology NB24 provides 24 bit processing. This higher resolution insures that you will get a true 16 bit
storage into your computer. (Macintosh Sound Manager is limited to 16 bit storage). As newer software is
developed that allows higher storage rates the NB24's 24 bit processing won't become outdated.
The NB24 is a low cost, plug-in card for direct digital connections into and out of most NuBus equipped
Apple Macintoshs. This allows a digital only signal to be sent or received from the computer. Devices such
as DAT machines or samplers can plug in directly via standard S/PDIF (IEC 958) ports to the NB24 for
transfer in the digital domain. External A/D and D/A converters (such as the Lucid ADA1000) can also be
added to allow analog signals to be processed. Don't throw out that NuBus computer because of changes in
the whim of the computer manufacturer. The Lucid NB24 allows you to interface with higher quality digital
devices and current editing softwares.
Supported Computers
Any Macintosh with an available standard 7inch
NuBus slot
Power Computer - Any model with standard 7-inch
NuBus slots
Suggested Minimum CPU speeds
CPU speed greater than 20mhz for stereo applications
50mHz or greater for multitrack applications
System RAM
12Mb RAM minimum
14.12.22, 23:16 NB24 - Professional digital only I/O for the Macintosh
https://web.archive.org/web/19980214054653/http://www.lucidtechnology.com/nb24.htm 2/2
24Mb or more recommeded (as dictated by
application software)
Required Software Components
Mac OS 7.5x,7.6.1 or 8.0 and above
Sound control panel panel 8.0.3 or greater
Apple Sound Manager 3.1 or greater (for pre 7.5.2
Mac OS)
Lucid NB24 driver
The NB24 supports the following software applications:
Peak from Bias v1.0 - 1.6
Deck II v2.2 & 2.5.1 or SoundEdit 16 v2.0
Opcode AudioShop and/or Studio Vision Pro v3.0
(stereo only)
Digidesign Session 2.0 and/or Protools Powermix
v3.2
Cubase VST 3.01 (3.5 coming soon!) ASIO driver
coming soon for 3.02 - 3.52.
Logic Audio v2.5
You can now make perfect digital audio transfers into and out of most any NuBus equipped Apple
Macintosh. The NB24 is a low cost plug-in card for making direct digital connections from Macintosh to
DATs, outboard A/D and D/A converters, samplers, or any other digital audio devices with industry standard
S/PDIF (IEC 958) ports. With the added bonus of a 24-bit digital signal processing chip on board, the NB24
brings DSP functionality to NuBus Macs at an unbelievably low price.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/lucid-technology-nb24-ada1000

Compatibility:
-
The Lucid card works fine with Cubase 3.01 via the Sound Manager driver. Unfortunately there is not yet an ASIO driver for Cubase 3.02, so right now it only does output with 3.02.
-
Q: Does/will Cubase VST make use of the DSP capabilities of the NB24? A: No, VST only uses the PowerPC chip for all its processing. That situation is unlikely to change.
-
their web site states that Sound Manager doesn't support >16bits yet. It's not false advertising, they're just claiming support for greater sound in the future.
-
Leading Sound Manager compatible applications include Logic Audio from Emagic, Deck II from Macromedia, Session 2.0 from DigiDesign, and Studio Vision from Opcode.

summary: EOL technology that nobody ever picked up upon, since the superior PCI was already available & soon discontinued.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 02:47:31 AM by smilesdavis »
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2023, 01:53:35 AM »
(edited)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 02:46:01 AM by smilesdavis »
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts