Classic Mac OS Software (Discussions on Applications) > Vision & Studio Vision by Opcode

looking for earlier (1994 or older) Studio Vision / Audio Vision software

(1/6) > >>

part12studios:
Anyone happen to know where i might find this?  Looking for a MIDI/Digital Audio DAW combo that will work on a Quadra 650 and an AudioMedia 2 card.  I found some later 90's stuff on the usual mac garden/repository.. but none of them seem to have the early 90's software that can do audio/midi under one roof. 

This article points to what i'm talking about more specifically

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/studio-vision/7370

Thanks,
Caleb

GaryN:
*I was going to put a question here but I decided to save it for last.

You're going to find that the early version of StudioVision (not "Pro") is almost nonexistent.
Two reasons:
1) It was released ONLY on PACE-protected floppies that had two and only two installs. You could "put them back" if you say, changed computers but if your HDD died so did the install on it. If you "ran out" of installs, you would call Opcode, verify your identity and they'd send you a replacement floppy. That worked fine until they went out of business. If you can find an original floppy, you can run the app as long as you have it for verification but they were scarce to begin with, most of them have long since been lost or have gone bad and the few that remain cannot be found or pried from the hands of those who have one.

2) The original didn't work worth a shit anyway. Why? because the Mac 68k computers (even the 68040) weren't capable of anything beyond basic 16/44 (or lower) stereo recording…not that PC's were any better…they were worse. StudioVision PRO worked because it used the Mac's Aloisen Audio Engine but that depended on having a PPC CPU.

So now I'll ask the question: Why on Earth would you want one?

part12studios:
Thanks for the insight Gary!  Well the long and the short of it is i'm working on a video game set in a post apocalyptic 1996.. and wanted to make music using only gear predating the end of the world (December 12th 1994) and thus seeing what kind of DAW options there were.  The guy I bought the card from hooked me up with a DVD of old mac software.  including the drivers and extensions which i'm working on now. 

So yea that's the main reason.. i know i could do just straight midi sequencing which is fine.  i may still do that and just make the soundtrack live and mix it all through a stereo reel to reel from the 70's I have..   but i thought it would be cool to see if i could use some of the same software used by NIN from TDS and even Broken..  not that i'm trying to sound like NIN, but i respect those works and using tools that they were using is just kinda cool..  but i'm not married to it either.  i have some early Digital Performer software as well i'll test out.. 

I even got my handso n a Midiman smpte machine as well if i wanted to get into SMPTE syncing with a 4track (what i have) or even maybe find something nicer (which i don't have)..  we'll see.

Thanks for that though, i'd not heard anything about early studio vision software being licensed like that..

rvense:
If you're curious about NIN, make sure you read this thread:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/605445-nine-inch-nails-synths.html

It's a legendary forum thread if there even is such a thing. Charlie Clouser shows up a few pages in and he's still posting stories in it.

GaryN:

--- Quote from: part12studios on September 01, 2020, 07:59:33 PM ---Thanks for the insight Gary!  Well the long and the short of it is i'm working on a video game set in a post apocalyptic 1996.. and wanted to make music using only gear predating the end of the world (December 12th 1994)………

I even got my handso n a Midiman smpte machine as well if i wanted to get into SMPTE syncing with a 4track (what i have) or even maybe find something nicer (which i don't have)..  we'll see.

Thanks for that though, i'd not heard anything about early studio vision software being licensed like that..

--- End quote ---

* Dammit! 1994… I knew something happened that year.

* Your concept of MIDI + SMPTE is right on. I'm an old fart. I was there. At that time, MIDI sequencing was in high gear with people actually using multiple keyboards chained together and the Alesis Midiverbs were the coolest things ever. You would use a MIDI drum machine, whatever you could get out of your synth(s) - decent samplers existed, but they were really expensive - and you would put guitars, horns, vocals, whatever had to be "real" on tape. An 8-track was luxury since you could get 6 (or even 7 if you were careful) tracks but even 2 or 3 with a 4-track was often enough. The best part is that it kept all of those Tascam and other machines alive. People that started before there even was MIDI were in heaven… MIDI is what turned the home project studio into a place where you could actually make a "real" recording on a budget.

* Actually, almost all Opcode software was distributed on those damn protected floppies. The CD ROM was still in its infancy when they were shut down.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version