Author Topic: Audio Interface for PowerBook G4 PC Card Expansion Slot  (Read 3014 times)

Offline mditullo

• Valued Member
Audio Interface for PowerBook G4 PC Card Expansion Slot
« on: August 31, 2020, 09:09:20 AM »
Hello,

Are there recommended audio interfaces, if any at all, that can connect to a Titanium PowerBook G4’s expansion PC Card slot?  Looking for something simple that I can plug a mixer into and capture audio with.  Thanks.

Offline rvense

• Veteran Member
  • Lombard & son
Re: Audio Interface for PowerBook G4 PC Card Expansion Slot
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 02:35:19 PM »
I think there are only two cards with Mac OS 9 drivers.

One is an RME Hammerfall card with the breakout box. The breakout box requires power.

The other is the Digigram VX Pocket. I've read that the latency is bad, but never tried one.

On PPC OS X, there are also a couple of Echo Audio options - one with two stereo outs, and one with stereo i/o.

Another option is a Magma chassis with a PCI card in it. If that works for you, there are many options, up to and including ProTools systems.

If you're willing to use USB, there are more options.

Offline mditullo

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 05:12:55 PM »
I think there are only two cards with Mac OS 9 drivers.

One is an RME Hammerfall card with the breakout box. The breakout box requires power.

The other is the Digigram VX Pocket. I've read that the latency is bad, but never tried one.

On PPC OS X, there are also a couple of Echo Audio options - one with two stereo outs, and one with stereo i/o.

Another option is a Magma chassis with a PCI card in it. If that works for you, there are many options, up to and including ProTools systems.

If you're willing to use USB, there are more options.

Thank you for listing these options.  Great places to start.  I am also open to USB too if you're aware of anything that will work with Mac OS 9.

Appreciate it,
Matthew

Offline rvense

• Veteran Member
  • Lombard & son
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 01:35:14 PM »
There are two stickied threads in this forum that have lists, with and without MIDI.