Author Topic: Cinemassive PCI to Cardbus  (Read 2511 times)

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
Cinemassive PCI to Cardbus
« on: August 17, 2020, 08:36:17 AM »
I just noted that somebody sell Cinemassive PCI to Cardbus adapter in ebay and not selling to my country and I have one already, so I give hint to macos9lives users
that its work with Mac OS 9 with Magma PCI cardbus driver (because it is made by Magma):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cinemassive-PCI-to-Cardbus-Adapter/293685246214
Note that full lenght PCI cards doesn't fit, only half lenght.
I have tested my Cinemassive with Keyspan serial card and Adaptec SCSI card with Powerbook Titanium with Mac OS9.
Also I have made stupid test with Magma Express Card with my chassis with Mac OS X 10.6 (intel) and firewire PCI card and worked with it :)

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
Re: Cinemassive PCI to Cardbus
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 10:38:54 AM »
Interesting.
Did you read my thread about trying to boot from a harddisk i have in a magma chassis connected through the cardbus adapter to my titanium G4?
Did you try to boot from a SCSI disk ? If yes, how did you achieve it?
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 11:27:04 PM »
Did you read my thread about trying to boot from a harddisk i have in a magma chassis connected through the cardbus adapter to my titanium G4?

Your thread is interesting, but I connected my Peavey sampler with SCSI connection, not hard disk and I don't have free hard disk for test right now.
I afraid that cardbus-pci-bridge driver should be first loaded and that might be problem for boot.

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 01:42:13 AM »
No problem teroyk.
I wasn't implying to test it out for me, I just thought that you actually
succeeded to boot from a similar setup than mine.

So far I hadn't to install any drivers for this setup under OS9.
Everything's just works so I was hopeful that it actually would work.
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 11:00:20 PM »
So far I hadn't to install any drivers for this setup under OS9.
Everything's just works so I was hopeful that it actually would work.

So is that driver dummy driver that only tell that it is Cardbus-PCI bridge :)

EDIT: After cup of coffee, I remember reason that driver, titanium 667-800Mhz models has problem with some cards and that driver fix that problem.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 11:32:53 PM by teroyk »

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 01:17:10 PM »

I connected Powerbook G3 (oldworld PDQ) in SCSI Disk Mode (so HD looks like SCSI drive to SCSI chain) to Powerbook G4 titanium. But G4 doesn't boot from there, although it let install operating systems there and let choose it to start up disk, but if you push Alt key (to choose where you boot) in boot titanium doesn't even try to check that drive (that reading/writing logo doesn't change in G3). Any way it was nice to make partitions to Powerbook G3 disk with running Powerbook G4 Silverlining Pro that way :)

But if boot needs specific Apple branded SCSI card in box?