Author Topic: Can't connect to the internet under OS 9.  (Read 3872 times)

Offline agari13

Can't connect to the internet under OS 9.
« on: August 14, 2020, 12:40:53 PM »
My 2001 Quicksilver won't connect to the internet under OS 9 but will under Tiger. I have the TCP/IP set to connect via Ethernet and set to configure via DHCP as the other threads suggest but nada. I am using the newest version of Classilla. I tried the old browsers it came with too (not expecting much obviously) and even tried to access my router admin page and still nada. Any ideas? It's been almost 20 years since I last used OS 9 as a daily driver so most of my knowledge has sadly been overwritten.

Offline torvan

• Veteran Member
  • Old School
Re: Can't connect to the internet under OS 9.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 06:57:51 PM »
Check the ethernet cable--make sure it is firmly connected and there are no breaks in the line.

Are you getting the IP address from the router or are they being self-assigned (169.x.x.x) in the TCP/IP settings? What are you seeing in TCP/IP? All four sets of numbers would be helpful.

Also, make sure AppleTalk is connected to Ethernet. (Control Panels: AppleTalk).

Make sure you have the lights blinking on the ethernet connection points (they indicate the ports are working). Also be aware of any kinks in the cable and replace it if there are any.
15 Macs (13 of them ranging from an SE to a MDD), 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Hackintosh. Small house getting smaller with each Mac. . . . .  .Husband shakes his head but supports my habit.

Offline agari13

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 09:44:57 PM »
I would imagine the cable is fine since it works under Panther and Tiger and also on Tiger when hooked to my Mini. The IP address is being pulled from the router. The numbers do look weird compared what it shows under OS X.

IP Address: 169.254.15.14
Subnet is 255.255.0.0
Router same as first
Name server 224.0.0.251

AppleTalk is set to Ethernet

Ports should be fine since it works on OS X.

None of this matches what is displayed under OS X and when I try to put all the numbers from OS X into 9 manually I still get nothing.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 12:35:27 AM »
yea it is slightly different from OSX and that is enough to not get it to work. when i look into this under windows every 2 years i always need an hour to get the simplest t hings to work.

however, when you set appletalk to ethernet then ethernet can no longer be used for TCP IP, that i can tell. :)

do you need appletalk for something ? i´ve never seen someone using that.

while we are on it, if you limit your LAN to the last octal only that might speed up transfers and tasks time. (255.255.255.0)

and that is probably only cosmetics, but if you mostly have macs in the LAN and dont need this automatic localisation nonsense from microsoft, you´d use 192.168./ ...

oh yeah, and before i forget: TCP IP controlpanel -> edit menu -> user mode: advanced! is required to be able to do all the settigns you are usually used to in a DHCP & fixed adress enviroment.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 12:50:06 PM »
I recommend using manual settings - especially for troubleshooting.

>IP Address: 169.254.15.14
This is not valid - it's a 'there is no network, I'll just put this here and talk to myself' type address!
Put your router address, but change the last no. to something spare. So if router is 192.168.1.254 use 192.168.1.13 for example.

>Subnet is 255.255.0.0
This should probably be 255.255.255.0

>Router same as first
It should be the address of your router!

>Name server 224.0.0.251
Put your router address here too

>AppleTalk is set to Ethernet
This is absolutely fine, but irrelevant for TCP/IP.

>Ports should be fine since it works on OS X.
Are you using the built-in port? A PCI card may need extra drivers.
Do you have the full set of Open Transport extensions enabled?

When you've got the right numbers in, check how far can you ping.
Machine itself? Router LAN side? Router WAN side?

I use OTTool for pinging.
http://www.tucows.com/preview/206277/OTTool

Offline agari13

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 11:09:57 PM »
Well I managed to fix it. It seems like it was a problem with the version of OS 9 I was using. I was using my original retail CD of 9.2.1 then adding the 9.2.2 combo update. I nuked the drive and installed it fresh a couple times too. I tried all the suggestions above and manually adding the numbers I knew were correct each time to no avail. I tried with and without the update and nothing.

What finally worked was a clean install using the 9.2.2 2002 iso from the Macintosh Repository. Worked right out of the gate without even having to mess with anything. I guess for some reason the 9.2.1 retail CD hates my 2001 Quicksilver.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 09:22:50 AM »
that might be, but i would still reduce the subnet mask :)
insert arbitrary signature here