Author Topic: PCI audio interface recommendation for Beige G3  (Read 3643 times)

Offline nebraska

• Newcomer
PCI audio interface recommendation for Beige G3
« on: August 12, 2020, 08:44:47 AM »
Hello, lately I have acquired a 266 Beige G3. I am using a Powermac G5 for all the Midi and recording stuff with no librarian and a generic 24-bit sound which I find too complex as I am using mostly 16-bit samplers and synths. G3 will be replacing that. I have a Macman serial box I'd used with my IIGS so Midi is not the problem here. I don't know much about Macintosh audio interfaces but I can say I am looking for a '97-'01 era OS9 compatible PCI  audio interface recommendation. Please let me know, thank you.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: PCI audio interface recommendation for Beige G3
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 03:03:53 PM »
Find an M-Audio Delta 44 or 66. 4 ins and outs, they're affordable, 100% happy in OS9 or OSX, rock solid, sound great and run anywhere all the way to 24/96.
The 44 and 66 are identical except the 66 also has a S/PDIF connection.
They're commonly available on fleabay for less than $100. Note there are a lot of listings there for partial components where the breakout box evidently got separated from the PCI card so make sure you're getting a complete unit. If it looks too cheap to be true, it's not true.

There's also the Delta 1010 with 8 ins and outs but I don't know if a 266 G3 would be up to that.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 07:49:05 AM »
Just an FYI.  I have a beige G3 as well and ran 3 Delta 1010 cards in it for a while.
I had read somewhere that the pci bus on those beige g3's had problems with PCI audio cards (similar to the compatibility with the pci-x and the maudio cards in G5's). Can't remember where I read it or if it was true, but I never had a problem with it.  I was even running it with an overclocked memory bus and cpu.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 08:33:52 AM »
Just an FYI.  I have a beige G3 as well and ran 3 Delta 1010 cards in it for a while.
I had read somewhere that the pci bus on those beige g3's had problems with PCI audio cards (similar to the compatibility with the pci-x and the maudio cards in G5's). Can't remember where I read it or if it was true, but I never had a problem with it.  I was even running it with an overclocked memory bus and cpu.
THREE? Did you actually have a big mixer and use all or most of those simultaneously? At what bit rate? And what DAW?

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 12:43:28 PM »
THREE? Did you actually have a big mixer and use all or most of those simultaneously? At what bit rate? And what DAW?

Usually I worked at 24  bit 48 Khz but some times at 24 bit 96 Khz. 
I use Cubase on it and still do, but now on a QS and a motu interface.
I have a 24 channel ramsa board I used with the beige g3 for a while. Wasn't common to do 24 channels at once and if I did it was usually at 24/48k  Usually I did 8 - 12 channels of tracking at one pass.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 01:51:17 PM »
Damn, I'm surprised. It's very often a hair-puller just to get 3 Delta cards to peacefully coexist and handling more than the 8-12 you say on the 66MHz bus is a crash looking for the most inconvenient moment to happen…

You must just be living right…  ;D

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 02:06:06 PM »
if I remember right it was pain getting it setup initially, but once it started working I just left.
Also the wordclock IO on the 1010 doesn't work correctly in OS 9.  It would never work at 96k and only occasionally work at 48k