Author Topic: Hacking Classic Environment as an alternative?  (Read 4348 times)

Offline Chooser

• Newcomer
Hacking Classic Environment as an alternative?
« on: August 07, 2020, 09:48:23 AM »
As an alternative to problematic machines like G5s and OS X only video drivers, has anyone looked in to hacking the OS X Classic Environment to be more full featured?

I know in Rhapsody, the Blue Box environment booted up full screen and had full Finder. I wonder if there's a way to recreate that behavior in later OS X releases? If so, in theory we could have a small OS X environment boot up on the machine and then auto launch in to full screen classic.

I'm not even sure where to start with exploring this, but wanted to share in case anyone has tried something similar.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Hacking Classic Environment as an alternative?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 06:58:14 PM »
i´ve never tried that and i doubt it works in later than 10.0.1 but have you tried makgin a copy of finder, change its creator code to APPL and lauch it? :)
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 02:09:41 AM »
As an alternative to problematic machines like G5s and OS X only video drivers, has anyone looked in to hacking the OS X Classic Environment to be more full featured?

I know in Rhapsody, the Blue Box environment booted up full screen and had full Finder. I wonder if there's a way to recreate that behavior in later OS X releases? If so, in theory we could have a small OS X environment boot up on the machine and then auto launch in to full screen classic.

I'm not even sure where to start with exploring this, but wanted to share in case anyone has tried something similar.

It's a great idea, and it surprises me to learn Rhapsody's Blue Box could even go full screen, but one reason such a project wouldn't interest me much is because all versions of Blue Box / Classic can't run certain apps, like certain games (i.e. Mars Rising). Native OS9, for me, is the only way to go.

With that said, it's been on the back of my mind for quite some time now the idea of putting 10.2 Jaguar's Classic into 10.3/4 Panther/Tiger, as Classic becomes particularly terrible past 10.2 Jaguar. It would give top-end G5s like the Quad and the 2.7GHz Dual-processor a lot more usefulness, as neither are able to go low enough to 10.2 Jaguar for some half-decent compatibility (let alone actually boot into OS9 for full compatibility, performance and awesomeness).

Offline Rikintosh

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 08:13:37 AM »
I'm working on it right now.

As for the classic not being 100% compatible with all 9 programs ... Better to have a semi-compatible system, than none.

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2020, 07:29:26 AM »
As for the classic not being 100% compatible with all 9 programs ... Better to have a semi-compatible system, than none.

Certainly, definitely not going to argue with that. That's by far the main reason for me Tiger > Leopard, and why Tiger is used over Leopard by so many still and why so many software projects still target Tiger.

Also, I saw your project today, which is pretty awesome: https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/rikintoshs-mac-os-classix

You were able to replace Tiger's Classic with Panther's, but what about Jaguar's? Any success with that? That would be the main version of interest here, else it's just replacing a rotten apple with an older rotten apple.