Author Topic: Looking for 90's era website creation software (resolved!)  (Read 3602 times)

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Looking for 90's era website creation software (resolved!)
« on: August 05, 2020, 01:05:03 PM »
hi everyone, I am looking to make a website that feels like it came from the mid 90's..   years back I remember buying a web building cd rom i bought at CompUSA (remember those guys?) and I remember really liking it.  It got me up and running without having to do any HTML... it was kinda like a layman Dreamweaver.. 

Anywho, I believe I got the software circa late 90's and no longer have the disk.  Does anyone recall any products that might itch that scratch?  I know i could make an old looking site with newer tools but I'm kinda enjoying the thought of using super outdated PC/Mac software to achieve the goal..   

Thanks in advance for any tips / advise you might have.

think Captain Marvel, but maybe not that good..  https://www.marvel.com/captainmarvel/ :)

Thanks,
Caleb
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 08:50:09 PM by part12studios »

Offline Chooser

• Newcomer
Re: Looking for 90's era website creation software
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 07:15:39 PM »
Was it any of these?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTML_editors#Discontinued_editors

I know Netscape was sold in retail back then and had Composer built in. Frontpage also had a Mac retail release. PageMill and Claris were ones I remember as well.

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Looking for 90's era website creation software
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 07:48:49 PM »
no but those are classic ones for sure!   actually i did just find (and bought) a copy of the software i was thinking of..   
Cosmi Website builder

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51T07XPP8VL._AC_.jpg

thanks for your help!  :)

Offline Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Too many Macs..
    • Mac Classic, Mac Attic
Re: Looking for 90's era website creation software (resolved!)
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 09:37:08 PM »
Funny that you mention this! I'm actually close to finishing a website builder exactly for this purpose - and compatible with Internet Explorer 5 + the latest Classilla. If you don't find anything feel free to message me and I can get it sorted for you within a month or so once everything's finished. The only costs involved are Hosting ($15NZD/month) and domain registration, but free domains are available if you don't need a custom one.

Edit:
Oops I just saw your last message. Nice one!!

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 03:29:04 AM »
Sure, it would be interesting to see what you have in mind. 

that is an interesting point.  i'd never thought about testing the site on OS9 era browsers and such.. 

The Cosmi Website Builder is Windows Only as a program and that's ok as I'm running parallels on my normal mac and use windows at work..  but yea i'm definitely going to have to test the site on OS9 and early OSX systems now.. heh. 

Offline Bolkonskij

• Gold Member
    • Cornica.org
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 01:52:46 AM »
Funny that you mention this! I'm actually close to finishing a website builder exactly for this purpose - and compatible with Internet Explorer 5 + the latest Classilla. If you don't find anything feel free to message me and I can get it sorted for you within a month or so once everything's finished. The only costs involved are Hosting ($15NZD/month) and domain registration, but free domains are available if you don't need a custom one.

Edit:
Oops I just saw your last message. Nice one!!

You mean one can use his Mac OS9 computer and create a simple HTML 4 (?) website? That'd be something cool! Care to write some more about it?

Remember the Mac Garden offers free hosting (Geocities style). If you don't need your own domain, that's at least a great start.

One thing I deem would be awesome to have is some sort of search engine (or web catalogue akin to 90s yahoo) where we'd find all these Classilla or even Netscape 4 compatible websites). Anyone feeling like tackling this project? :-)
Reel changer over at cornica.org

Offline Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Too many Macs..
    • Mac Classic, Mac Attic
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 02:48:16 AM »
You mean one can use his Mac OS9 computer and create a simple HTML 4 (?) website? That'd be something cool! Care to write some more about it?

Not quite, although I would love to do this once I get some more time on my hands. At the moment it's a modern web app so you would build and maintain the website on a modern OS, but the website is served over HTTP and is fully accessible to IE5 and Classilla. There is a customisable 'template' (I plan on adding more themes) with a bunch of components to build your website with pretty much everything you'd need (blogs, image galleries, file downloads, documents etc.). The web app has a 'visual editor' so its mostly WYSIWYG - no need to know HTML/CSS etc. The themes are built for older browsers, so the websites look like they're from the 90's with some modern tweaks.

One thing I deem would be awesome to have is some sort of search engine (or web catalogue akin to 90s yahoo) where we'd find all these Classilla or even Netscape 4 compatible websites). Anyone feeling like tackling this project? :-)

I would love to do this! (at some point). For the time being I could set up a 'directory' if that would be useful? If it would be useful feel free to send me URLS and I can add them

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 08:04:37 AM »
cool keep me posted.  i'd love to try it out  :)