Author Topic: dead radeon 9000 64mb?  (Read 3844 times)

Offline perestroika

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
dead radeon 9000 64mb?
« on: July 17, 2020, 05:16:47 PM »
last year i got a mdd 1.25ghz [not dual one] and the video card was wonky. displayed in pink and after 2mins of use the screen would fill with hundreds of pixelated squares and then rip. since i have a quicksilver 733 i took that video card [readeon 7500] and put it on the mdd and it all works fine.

not long ago i saw on ebay a listing for a radeon 9000 for $17.99 - so i grabbed it and when i got it, it only displayed pixelated gibberish on boot up. seller sent me another one and i get the exact same issue.

placed both of these cards on the quicksilver and same problem in there too.

these two are dead right? unless there is something i'm just not doing right?

uploaded a photo of when it reaches the desktop [os9] - tiny squre is the mouse. lol.

i also reseted the nvram, pressed that little button on the board, cleaned the gold contacts and nothing. tried all the dvi cables i have, used the acer lcd monitor and then tried it on the tv with the dvi to hdmi cable. and nothing :'(

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
Re: dead radeon 9000 64mb?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 07:00:22 PM »
Looks like a few bad video cards to me...........

Offline Bolkonskij

• Gold Member
    • Cornica.org
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 10:01:17 PM »
last year i got a mdd 1.25ghz [not dual one] and the video card was wonky. displayed in pink and after 2mins of use the screen would fill with hundreds of pixelated squares and then rip.

I had that with another machine of mine and it was a heating issue. You could try to lower temperature as far as possible. Give the machine a good clean, repaste the processor, put a SSD in, take out the hard drive cages of the MDD to improve airflow etc. and try again. Also check if the fans are operational!
Reel changer over at cornica.org

Offline perestroika

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 01:42:37 PM »
I had that with another machine of mine and it was a heating issue. You could try to lower temperature as far as possible. Give the machine a good clean, repaste the processor, put a SSD in, take out the hard drive cages of the MDD to improve airflow etc. and try again. Also check if the fans are operational!

sadly that one died after a couple days. it started to smell weird too when it decided to just drop dead. thats why i moved the 7500 to the mdd and been looking for a new card since. lol. cleaned the mdd as much as i could, but never thought of using a ssd. and never thought of removing those hdd cages either. the mdd keeps chill so far, at least no issues with it and i've had long sessions with this thing. but great tips! thanks man! :D

Looks like a few bad video cards to me...........

i guess i needed to hear it from someone else :'(

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 04:47:43 PM »
Similar symptoms with another card here last year. Close visual inspection revealed two slightly swollen (domed tops) and possibly failing capacitors. Replaced those caps with similar ones from another “parts” card and the “once failing“ card has now functioned perfectly without fail for well over a year.

If the swap-installed 7500 card functions without fail, would seem less likely that it’s a machine, fan(s) or CPU problem… BUT it doesn’t hurt to clean, check fans and repaste the CPU (and maybe even the processor on the video card / IF easily accessed). But I’d place both of the suspect 9500 cards together and begin visually inspecting and comparing for puffed-bloated-domed-swollen-leaking onboard capacitors.

Maybe post a good close-up pic of both failed / failing cards together if you’d like - so we can have a look.

Here are the two caps that I replaced… and you might be able to see that they were only very slightly domed on their tops (and one of them actually tested GOOD when I finally got my hands on an ESR meter). With basic soldering skills and access to same-valued caps, its not a difficult task. Just make certain that negative legs go back in their proper location. (Take pics before removal.)

Might be worth an attempt? ::)

Offline perestroika

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 04:52:32 AM »
Similar symptoms with another card here last year. Close visual inspection revealed two slightly swollen (domed tops) and possibly failing capacitors. Replaced those caps with similar ones from another “parts” card and the “once failing“ card has now functioned perfectly without fail for well over a year.

If the swap-installed 7500 card functions without fail, would seem less likely that it’s a machine, fan(s) or CPU problem… BUT it doesn’t hurt to clean, check fans and repaste the CPU (and maybe even the processor on the video card / IF easily accessed). But I’d place both of the suspect 9500 cards together and begin visually inspecting and comparing for puffed-bloated-domed-swollen-leaking onboard capacitors.

Maybe post a good close-up pic of both failed / failing cards together if you’d like - so we can have a look.

Here are the two caps that I replaced… and you might be able to see that they were only very slightly domed on their tops (and one of them actually tested GOOD when I finally got my hands on an ESR meter). With basic soldering skills and access to same-valued caps, its not a difficult task. Just make certain that negative legs go back in their proper location. (Take pics before removal.)

Might be worth an attempt? ::)

sorry for the late reply, got too busy with work and too disappointed with bad luck that i forgot to come back and check. i thought of doing that, of maybe re-soldering or exchanging them between the bad cards, but when it old the seller the replacement one was bad, i was offered to send them back for a refund so i did. two weeks later though, came across the 9000 w/ 128mb on ebay. not as cheap as those 64mb ones but still on my budget so i grabbed it and after a small delay, it arrived and works fine. so that was nice. crazy what a difference this one is compared to the 7500. lol.

but thanks for that big reply btw. some good info in there :)

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 03:07:47 PM »
So, hello there! I knew your cousin, Glasnost…

Offline perestroika

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 09:08:00 PM »
So, hello there! I knew your cousin, Glasnost…

ah yes, good old glasnost. the two of us up to no good in the old days. lol.