Author Topic: Recently acquired Powerbook 190 booted once fully for a session but no dice now  (Read 1813 times)

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Hi everyone, so I got my hands on a 190 that when i got a PSU for it, didn't turn on at first, but after some poking around and what not, it booted fine.. and in fact restarted fine several times during that session..  but the next day came back and now it seems to be unresponsive.

the power light comes on when plugged in.  the battery is dead (and even shows minor signs of corrosion from acid on one of the pins.. 

I found a great breakdown video of how to open one (5300, but same basic case setup) but i'm just wondering what might be worth looking at.  i was thinking maybe bad caps..  but maybe the backup battery is shot.  maybe it's something lighter like that. 

Just seeking any quick tips before i open that baby up

Thanks,
Caleb

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
After further testing i have concluded its simply the power port that is touchy.  Probably needs to be re-soldered.  It threw me off that the led power light would glow when plugged in. However in practice i have noticed that if that light is on it will bever boot but if i fiddle with it and the light is off.  Then it will fully boot

Only other odd thing is that that the welcome to macintosh screen is very washed out BUT after that everything seems fine.

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
IIRC the 190 was known for having a poor quality screen. Probably takes a second for the LCD inverter to warm up to full power.
got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Yea the passive matrix screen definitely sucks.  Move the mouse too fast and it kinda disappears. Just the tech of the time.