Author Topic: looking for OS9 software that will burn .cue / .bin files  (Read 9679 times)

Offline adespoton

• Enthusiast Member
  • Crusty Member
Re: looking for OS9 software that will burn .cue / .bin files
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2020, 12:11:55 PM »
You can't select the cue file; you have to select the bin and let Toast figure out the schema itself.  Otherwise you're just writing a text file out to CD.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2020, 12:43:53 PM »
the bin file also ends up in a 100kb long image - unless you rename it(?)

it might properly burn (he must try himself) but this is not very intiutive...
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2020, 02:43:29 AM »
So it seems the ultimate solution was finding a pc program called imgburn which did the trick with a blueray external drive that supports going down to 4x which was surprising..   seeing that older / dvd burners and such would only go down to 10x or 16x of the devices i own.

CDs are burning nicely.  using 700mb disks however i did order a batch of proper 650mb disks for the future.

Thanks for your help on this! 

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2020, 05:02:51 AM »
Nice program.be aware of troyans and malware.
As far as i remember they had problems with that at one stage in time on their website.
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2020, 06:02:30 AM »
yea seems ok..  i checked the install and at least nothing overtly spyware about it. 

thankfully i'm also running it on parallels so it's isolated from doing any real damage it it were in fact evil. 

Offline DrNo7

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2020, 11:16:36 AM »
Nice thread about alternate disk image format.

Just wanted to chime in about the burn speed.
The habit of saying burning slowly = burning better has to do with the fact that the first units of disk burners were advertised with the amount of errors per burning speed (if you could find an issue of Macworld magazine from the end of 90's it would even more striking).
However, technology improved the speed and accuracy of the disk burners. Nowadays, the challenge lies more in the quality of the media than really the quality of the burner. And it is totally possible than burning a CD at 10x will contain less errors (if any) than burning at 2x with a late 90's burner.

Disclaimer: I am all for the retro knowledge preservation and feel like softs like Toast Titanium had a break point where the convenience took away some control/transparency of the process (making unusual usage harder/impossible).

So I would be curious how your 3DO deals with a good quality CD burnt at 10x on a recent superdrive. And then for the sake of science see how it compares with a 2x/4x burn with a retro Mac ;)
Ti 1 GHz / 1 GB / FW SSD / Airport Extreme PCMCIA (triple boot)
Alu 12 1.5GHz / 1.5 GB / 256 GB mSata SSD (dual boot for now)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2020, 02:05:00 PM »
the question is what an "error" is.

that after burning there could be "missing" bits or something like that on the medium is just a rumor - and if there really is one in out 1 out of 200 cases it can be detected through comparison.

but what can happen is that such errors can arise when you read from a CD with 25 years old technology, and one way how to prevent that is to burn not too fast because that makes the holes a bit rounder than normal.

interestingly that doesnt apply to DVD and BD, because for them reading and burning technology is always from the same year. :)

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2020, 04:37:58 AM »
Yea once i get them all burned in this method and see how many left over test CDs (may run out before i get there, but i batch of 50 650mb disks in the mail coming) I'll have to see just for science.. i'm willing to trade some time (x4 is certainly slow!) for stability..   the issues i first experienced i blame more on the likely fact that the burning software wasn't reading the .cue file properly..  as was initially discussed as the disks were "working" but basically seemed like they were constantly re-reading stuff.. never failing.. just everything required several passes to get the info..  these new ones are going super smooth..   but yea i will have to take this same burner and maybe set at least one disk aside from this batch and burn at a faster speed and see if it experiences any trouble.. 

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2020, 04:42:13 AM »
here's a question though that just came to me..   they make floppy emulators..   they make SD/CF Card HHD emulators..   couldn't someone make a CD rom emulator?   just fool the old systems into thinking they are reading a disk image?

As IIO points out..  these systems are very old.. classic game hardware and relying on anything as physically mechanical as CD Roms are certainly in more trouble than older cartridges..  where there are no moving parts and so long as the traces and everything hold up can last for many years

I know cosmetically it would perhaps either be ugly or require some kind of enclosure to fill the space a CD rom takes up.. a quick google didn't turn up anything..   maybe that's the next big thing in the roaring 20's? :)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2020, 09:49:18 AM »
here's a question though that just came to me..   they make floppy emulators..   they make SD/CF Card HHD emulators..   couldn't someone make a CD rom emulator?

i am not even sure if operating systems will notice the difference between a CD and a HD or SSD volume.

a system where you have e.g. 500 akais on a HD and then you can mount one by one via a small software utility would be for sure nice, but i dont think you´d need a hardware solution for that. :)

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2020, 09:53:21 AM »
yea however aren't CD Drives known to be picky like like floppies?   from my experience with SSD/CF emulators, they seem to be much more universal..    i would imagine like the gotek drives that seem to often require some kind of "massaging" to work on a given system..  be it an Amiga gotek that has been configured to being one that works on a Ensoniq Mirage sampler..   or any other system. 

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2020, 09:58:35 AM »
i see what you mean, yes sure.

but their main purpose is to get rid of the handling i think.

they also have these 100 times virtual card readers for the microwave, korg wavestation and DX7, they make life easier.

i still think that on a mac or windows computer you would just do that using HD & software.

mind you that an atari system could be booted and used without any HD, so if you use a gotek you can do everything by that.

my "CD/DVD/BD emulator" is having the images all on disks and mounting them with toast when needed. it is still a manual process, but one of 2 seconds in OS9 (or 7 seconds in OSX).

something like CDXtract for HFS+ would be nice to have mabye? it would let the user add folders/paths with image files inside, store that list forever, and lets you mount and unmount from a list of available image files by only one click.

p.s.:
how do you mount "mystuff.toast" without toast anyway in OS9? i´ve never thought of that.

in OSX that is all done by disk utility so you could make the backend using shellscripts or automator.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 10:12:54 AM by IIO »

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2020, 04:26:44 PM »
yea i'm thinking more like more specialized systems like CD based game consoles..  Computers tend to have a variety of ways to move around a CD rom, though installation of the OS itself is one that's tougher to work around..

but yea i'm thinking like if my 3DO CD rom went bad or a PS1 or others, how i might fix it if i couldn't find a physically matching model

Offline adespoton

• Enthusiast Member
  • Crusty Member
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2020, 09:29:30 AM »
Have any of you tried using https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/virtual-dvd-romcd-utility ? I know it has support for multiple formats, for both reading physical CDs and mounting virtual CDs, but I haven't tried it with bin/cue.  It has the advantage that you don't need Toast, but it's not burning software, so you still can't use it to write images back out to use on other platforms.  I have to admit I always turn to Windows XP for that part, as the tools I've found over the years are just so much more capable than what's on OS 9 or even OS X/macOS/Linux.

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2020, 05:39:40 PM »
yea it was really about burning physical disks..   but it is good that virtual drive options are out there for classic mac!

i did do some testing with a 16x burner with IMGBurn and it did fine.  I suspect really it was more about the initial disk burning software that didn't read/write the data properly for the 3DO to read.

Also though I've just found 4DO, a 3DO emulator that works very well.  you do need to find roms for the 3DO (which i happened to have from a previous emulator i tried that sucked) and 4DO did really well..  reading a .bin file straight up and playing the game. 

I'm still enjoying the original system and seeing it on a proper CRT TV...  Always better on the real thing whenever possible. 

Offline DrNo7

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2021, 11:03:31 PM »
yea i'm thinking more like more specialized systems like CD based game consoles..  Computers tend to have a variety of ways to move around a CD rom, though installation of the OS itself is one that's tougher to work around..

but yea i'm thinking like if my 3DO CD rom went bad or a PS1 or others, how i might fix it if i couldn't find a physically matching model

It is interesting to see that in recent months, a trend started on O.D.E. (Optical Disk Emulator) to fill in the gap of dying drives. For example:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2eH3sR1Ymt8

The main issue is that it is console-specific and would require somebody ti develop or adapt one to the 3DO variant you have :)

But you can try to search about all consoles with an ODE available or rumored (in the end it will only get worse with time...).
Ti 1 GHz / 1 GB / FW SSD / Airport Extreme PCMCIA (triple boot)
Alu 12 1.5GHz / 1.5 GB / 256 GB mSata SSD (dual boot for now)

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2021, 05:27:45 AM »
yea there is and USB drive option for 3DO now, but unfortunately its around $250.. :P   and you still have to do the installation yourself.. 
http://3do-renovation.ru/USB_Host_for_FZ1.htm

I hope thought at some point maybe someone else will make something similar..   but more reasonable (i mean a new system averages 1/2 that cost)

though the flash drive would be better in other ways too like access time and convenience