Author Topic: strange issue  (Read 4284 times)

supernova777

strange issue
« on: January 19, 2014, 09:20:03 AM »
ok so im adding a sata drive to my quicksilver g4
and the machine refuses to bong + start up as long as i have the sata power adapter connected.. if i unplug the sata power.. it starts up fine! seriously at my wits end.. i dont get it why is this happening?
im wondering if its some type of ground vs hot wire mismatch? but these things are all standardized... i dont understand

supernova777

Re: strange issue
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 09:34:18 AM »
ok well..  i somehow managed to fry the 500gb drive.. so thats why its not starting on.. the drive is FRIED
wow i just lost a 500gb drive.. well there goes another 50$ wasted somehow *sigh*
;)

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 09:44:31 AM »
ok so im adding a sata drive to my quicksilver g4
and the machine refuses to bong + start up as long as i have the sata power adapter connected.. if i unplug the sata power.. it starts up fine! seriously at my wits end.. i dont get it why is this happening?
im wondering if its some type of ground vs hot wire mismatch? but these things are all standardized... i dont understand
What kind of SATA adapter are you using?
I've had little inconvenients with some. Take care of the Master/Slave thing...
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

supernova777

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 10:49:30 AM »
its just a normal molex 4 pin -> sata power adapter
if i have the adapter attached to the hard drive the computer wont start

i just tried the same hard drive-- in an external dock.. and the dock wont turn on .. but turns on fine with another drive in it..
so i dunno what i did to this drive.. but its fried.. and it wont let anything else turn on that its connectd to. i dont even understand how thats possible..

but thats whats happening

the drive was working 100% earlier too..
:/

supernova777

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 12:39:13 PM »
i think i shorted the drive by putting the +5v red wire to one of the black ground wires on the power adapter..

not sure if therse anything i can do about it now
i guess its dead and i did smell a burnt smell a bit...

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 04:26:14 AM »
Any important data on it? If so get the exact same model and do surgery. By surgery i mean swap the inside of your fried one with the newer one.

supernova777

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 04:48:31 AM »
Any important data on it? If so get the exact same model and do surgery. By surgery i mean swap the inside of your fried one with the newer one.

tbh i cant remember what was on it thank god;) lol