Author Topic: Fan Noise on Quicksilver 2002  (Read 2377 times)

Offline Steve_W

• Enthusiast Member
  • 88 MPH
    • UK Mac Files
Fan Noise on Quicksilver 2002
« on: June 22, 2020, 10:12:49 PM »
Morning all, after ordering hard drive converters (SATA to PATA) and getting my hands on a Pro Tools Digi001 (to make the same setup as I had in the early 2000s), I have this beast up and running.  The aim is to dual boot it for 10.5.8 & 9.2.2 (which is working fine).

So that's the background... I remember these machines always were noisy, but my intention is to have this Mac in a permanent position to be used for streaming and recording vocals.  The fan noise is so high that it is going to make it impossible to record vocals in the same room... this is an age old problem I know, but I was wondering if any of you guys had modded yours to make the damn thing quieter?  Any takers?  Thanks all!
Powermac MDD dual 1.25ghz (9.2.2/10.4.11)/Powermac MDD 867mhz (9.2.2)/12 inch Powerbook G4 (9.2.2)/15 inch Powerbook G4 (10.4.11)/Powermac G5 (10.7.5)

Offline kharm

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Fan Noise on Quicksilver 2002
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 11:27:59 PM »
Having a look at this again myself for my Quicksilver. When I first got it I couldn't believe how loud it was. I've scraped by with it placed around a corner (less than ideal and still a problem if recording anything remotely quiet). I decided to finally give up on it and upgrade the whole system to a modern DAW ... then thought better of it ... so once again I'm looking at Quieting my Quicksilver. My plan is to start with the case fan & I'm currently looking for one that's quiet and high enough CFR.

Offline bloedmage

• Newcomer
Re: Fan Noise on Quicksilver 2002
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 04:00:04 AM »
The PSU fan of my quicksilver was by far the noisiest fan. I replaced it with a Noctua NF-A8 ULN fan. Didn't bother with soldering the power connector as it comes with a 3-pin to Molex adapter.
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00NEMGCRQ/ref=pe_2515531_419610681_fb_remail%5Fprodpg

Before you do this, you should try to boot with either the CPU or the case fan disconnected, to verify the source of the noise.