Author Topic: Fresh install, few questions  (Read 2455 times)

Offline cloverskull

• Newcomer
Fresh install, few questions
« on: May 30, 2020, 11:47:01 AM »
Hey folks,

I have a mac mini g4 which I've successfully installed os9 (alongside osx and morphos). I have a handful of noob questions, and to the best of my ability I've been unable to answer them myself thus far. Thanks for any help you're able to provide :)

• As I'd like to use this for classic gaming, having no sound is tough. What USB audio device is known to work in this specific configuration?
  • Every time I boot OS9, my morphos boot option in the boot-menu goes away and I have to manually re-bless it to be accessible moving forward. Why is OS9 removing the "bless" on this? How can I prevent that?
  • The USB installer in the CD extras causes my mouse to function improperly; I had to reinstall OS9 from scratch without it. When I do have it installed, the mouse will always go to the bottom of the screen and is unrecoverable from there, no matter which direction I move it. That said, I notice that my mouse is always interpreted as a single button mouse, so I can't right click or use the mouse wheel to scroll. Any advice here?
  • I notice classilla throws what looks like an SSL error for most websites I try to visit, rendering web browsing near impossible. Anyone else notice this? Is this new? Is there a workaround?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 12:01:43 PM by cloverskull »

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
Re: Fresh install, few questions
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 12:02:00 PM »
1. Probably any device. I use these. It's impeccable.

2. I'm not sure, but wow, you got OS9 and MorphOS to share the same drive? People have done that with OSX, but not between OS9 and MorphOS. If you could, a step-by-step tutorial would be appreciated as to how you accomplished this!

3. Basically, your mouse is not supported by the bundled, 3rd party driver program, called USB Overdrive. Our own curated Mac mini G4 image comes with that pre-installed, but it breaks compatibility with some mice. But without the program, you don't have the desired mapping to use right-click for context menu (you can still hold CMD then click for same result, though) and no scrolling wheel to scroll around.
Mice that I have personally confirmed not to work are Vivanco and nacon. A Microsoft mouse (of all things) works perfectly, which is what I use with USB Overdrive under OS 9.

Offline cloverskull

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 12:32:59 PM »
Thanks! Just ordered one of those usb audio devices. :)

Regarding the mouse, all good I suppose, I can live with original Apple mouse functionality. It'll just take some getting used to. In fact, my preference is to use the mouse/keyboard in my KVM switch, which is a gaming mouse I don't intend to replace, so it's a tradeoff I'm willing to make.

With MorphOS, I can make a howto. I'll probably throw it up on a blog somewhere since it'll be image heavy and then consolidate into something I can throw in a thread here. I'll do a multiboot setup that includes OSX, OS9, MorphOS, and Gentoo linux, with a couple of considerations (boot menu vs yaboot, etc).

Thanks!

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 12:49:11 PM »
I'll do a multiboot setup that includes OSX, OS9, MorphOS, and Gentoo linux, with a couple of considerations (boot menu vs yaboot, etc).

Looking forward to it. :) Might as well throw in some BSD flavor to the mix, at that rate! (Not counting X.)

Offline vaccinemedia

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 09:42:00 AM »
Shame that tutorial never materialised! I'm currently struggling to install: OS9, Tiger, Sorbet, MorphOS and Linux. I can install OS9 no problem at all by booting into the OS9Lives Previously Unsupported G4 CD and use it to initialise the hard drive with 5 partitions: OS9, Tiger, Sorbet, MorphOS Boot (HFS 64mb) and 8GB for MorphOS System leaving the rest of the drive unpartitioned so that linux can sort that bit out later on.

IF I only install OS9, Tiger and Sorbet I am then able to install Debian (with Grub) and Lubuntu (with Yaboot) and even Adelie and OpenBSD no problem. It's when I come to install MorphOS that things get messy. The moment MorphOS is installed it messes with the partition table and is no longer available to linux.

So for example, if I install it before linux, then I can't install linux at all. If I install it last of all I have all the OS installs complete but still end up with a messed up partition table as far as linux is concerned. I've looked into restoring the table but can't figure it out. If MorphOS didn't screw with the partitions it'd be just as simple as installing OpenBSD!