Author Topic: Your Work - Your Mac  (Read 3109 times)

Offline Jacques

• Enthusiast Member
  • Mac and SGI enthusiast
Your Work - Your Mac
« on: May 29, 2020, 01:14:24 AM »
So, out of interest, who here uses their Mac running OS9 for work and to earn a living or part living? I cannot imagine many but I'm curious  to see how many put up a hand. :)

Bonus points if you mention your line of work, nothing specific...Scientific, Audio, DTP, Graphics etc.

I'm not using mine yet for anything productive as I want to swap my mini for a QS or MDD. I'll be doing some ArchiCAD stuff after that, mostly for my own house.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Your Work - Your Mac
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 03:35:20 PM »
I, like many others around here, run my entire studio setup with OS9. Since I actually DO get a trickle of performance and ASCAP income from past work, I can say that more or less qualifies as a "part of a living". HOWEVER……

I have in the past run an entire video projection sales and service business in OS9.

I used Filemaker 4 as the customer, inventory and labor database, Canvas for tech drawings, InDesign for invoice and form layout, a contact manager I can't remember the name of and a few other apps for various needs.

I started that on an SE30 with an Imagewriter II (to print multiple-copy invoices) and a 40Mb HDD.

Trust me… you haven't lived until you've had to create tech drawings and full-page forms on a 7" B&W screen. One of the happiest days of my life was the day I acquires a (256) color video card to stuff into the PDS slot and a 19" color monitor. I felt like Dorothy when she said "We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto".

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 06:31:20 PM »
today you have two options to make money from composing, producing and publishing music using a mac:

- buy a brand new mac system for USD 30,000 and dont make any money with it

- buy a USD 3,000 system from 2002 which runs OS9 and dont make any money with it.

those who can do math give a shit on 50" retina screens and thunderbolt 4 reading speeds and stay with the old system.

i sometimes create midi data using the USD 35(!) mac mini G4 - and control an Xserve 8 core with it, where a synth application is hosted, if you know what i mean.

OSX and windows are utilities to me, utilities which can extend the functionality of OS9, but never replace it.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 09:07:16 AM »
OSX and windows are utilities to me, utilities which can extend the functionality of OS9, but never replace it.

This needs to be printed and hung on a wall.