Author Topic: Bizarre behavior at shut down on iMac G3  (Read 2607 times)

Offline Sheeracali

Bizarre behavior at shut down on iMac G3
« on: May 25, 2020, 02:18:04 AM »
Hi, on my main iMac G3, I recently noticed that when I would shut down I would hear the computer shut down noise, but the monitor would not turn off with it, leaving an image still on the screen for a very short while. My iMacs had never done this before, so I took it apart to find the culprit. When I took a hard drive from another iMac and put it into this machine, the monitor and computer turned off together like normal. Any ideas as to what’s going on? Thanks

Offline Sheeracali

Re: Bizarre behavior at shut down on iMac G3
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 03:48:51 PM »
It seems to have happened after upgrading from 8.5.1 to 9.0. Must have been related to the hard disk drivers being updated from the 9.0 CD. Is this normal shut down behavior?

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 04:10:36 AM »
It seems to have happened after upgrading from 8.5.1 to 9.0. Must have been related to the hard disk drivers being updated from the 9.0 CD. Is this normal shut down behavior?

This might not help your problem, but pgrade also from 9.0 to 9.1 at least. I don't know any reason to stick at 9.0.

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 06:37:58 AM »
Could be network related.
Check settings.

Do you use some kind of shared folder setup or similar?
Maybe worth to look if some network process is preventing a clean shutdown.

I had the problem on my "modern" 2010 Macbook when I shared the Internet
Connection. It wouldn't sleep when closing the lid and were cooking itself...
I know it's OS9 but I think still worth to look into.

*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 02:52:41 PM »
My first guess would be that: You think from the "noise" that the computer has shut down, but it hasn't.

The likely condition is that the system is running disk repair trying to sort out something it doesn't like about the files.

THAT is why substituting a different HDD "cures" the symptom.

You need to sort out the issue(s) on the drive - maybe even going beck before the update and doing it over again.

This, of course, is where the smart-ass at OS9Lives (me) says… "You DO have a backup, don't you?"

Actually, although I NOT 100% certain and it may have just been a dream, I seem to recall more than a few people having issues going from 8.5 to 9.0. back in the day.
It was a major upgrade after all, and did not always go smoothly. This may just be a "If at first you don't succeed…" situation.

That said, there are certainly folks around here still familiar with the minutiae of that transition far more than I……

Offline Sheeracali

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 11:29:27 AM »
I erased the hard drive in Mac OS X disk utility and then formatted it in Mac OS 8 drive setup. Then I installed Mac OS 8 and upgraded to Mac OS 9, but this time I unchecked the option to upgrade the hard disk drivers. The problem didn’t occur. This must have been a quirk with 9.0, because when I upgraded to 9.2 from 9.0 using a newly acquired 9.2 CD I let the disk drivers update and The problem didn’t return.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 03:28:43 PM »
Like I said: "If at first you don't succeed…"  ;D