Author Topic: Audio Issues on 1.5GHz Mac Mini G4  (Read 88 times)

Offline lukesnyder01

• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Audio Issues on 1.5GHz Mac Mini G4
« on: May 23, 2020, 07:50:35 AM »
Hi all! This is my first post on your lovely forum, so please let me know if I'm posting in the right place or breaking any rules. I've searched around for some solution, but have yet to find a real answer.

I just got my Mac Mini G4 with OS 9.2.2 installed. It boots nicely, the startup sound plays nice and loud, and then... no audio. When I go to the control panel to adjust the main volume, the slider is stuck all the way to the left. I can grab it and drag it, but it always snaps back to the lowest position. I've connected speakers to the headphone jack and stuck them right up to my ear, and I can confirm that there's some sound coming out, but it's suuuuuper quiet.

Anyone have any solutions or suggestions before I start buying stuff to try (like an interface, or getting larger speakers with better amplification)?

Offline Bolkonskij

• Enthusiast Member (25+ Posts)
    • Bolkonskijs Cheat Emporium
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
Re: Audio Issues on 1.5GHz Mac Mini G4
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 01:42:19 PM »
Welcome to the forums, Luke!

IIRC Sound does currently not work on a Mac Mini with OS9 except for the headphone jack. So plug in some external speakers. You'll want some with a volume control so you can adjust it to your needs.
Cornica
Video Entertainment for Mac OS users!

Bolkonskijs Cheat Emporium
Cheats for Mac OS games, 90s style! No ads, no tracking!

Power Mac G4, Dual 1.67 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 64 MB Radeon 9000 Pro, 320 GB WD HDD

Offline lukesnyder01

• Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 05:30:21 PM »
Welcome to the forums, Luke!

IIRC Sound does currently not work on a Mac Mini with OS9 except for the headphone jack. So plug in some external speakers. You'll want some with a volume control so you can adjust it to your needs.

Thanks!

Yeah, that seems like what other people have experienced. So odd, since the startup chime plays fine. I guess I'll be looking for some speakers. I only tested it out with a little 4 W speaker, and it was barely audible.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member (500+ Posts)
  • just a number
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 11:28:39 PM »
the built-in speaker is also barely audible. when it comes to that, it is not a loss. :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 09:14:34 AM by IIO »
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline lukesnyder01

• Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 08:14:15 AM »
the built-in speaker als also barely audible. when it comes to that, it is not a loss. :)

Good to know, that makes me feel a bit better. It's curious to me that the audio coming out the headphone jack is so quiet too though. I haven't measured it, but it almost seems like mic level audio, like I'd want to pre-amp it. Either way, I purchased some cheap 4" 24W RMS active bookshelf speakers, and that should be get the output high enough in a single gain stage.

I'm curious to see if it'll be noisy or not. Not that I really care too much about the audio quality, since I'm honestly mostly interested in going back and playing all the games from my childhood. Not like I'm doing anything where the audio quality actually matters!